First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Retired
Hey all, I see a lot of discussion here on the auto start/stop feature. Just about says it’s a gas saver. However, I’ve always been told that most of engine wear occurs at startup. Think of of all the wear and tear on the engine, battery and starter associated with dozens of starts per day. I would think that those maintenance costS would far overshadow the few pennys saved in gas. For that reason I shut mine off.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Deleted member 1634

You're assuming the engine, battery, and starter are not pre-designed with this feature in mind, and thus more robust and able to handle the additional starts. Those of us who use it tend to believe the engineers at Ford did their job and took that into consideration. We'll only really know in many years when things start wearing out whether those who use it die before those who don't.

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
I am aware that normal starter motors are designed to do 100-150k starts and auto stop start ones are designed to do upwards of 500k starts.
Nothing else really needs to be different because a battery is a battery and the engine is still oiled when off for a minute or so.
All that said I turn mine off everytime I drive the truck ?

OP
OP

GaryR

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
LED night light?

OP
OP

GaryR

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
LED night light???

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Whether it helps with gas mileage or not, I simply don't like it and an LED nightlight was my solution.
I did the same last year. Best $5.00 I've spent in a long time! ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks a bunch, I will certainly do that!
I use the one below.,like Bret said don't get one with the photo sensor. Some have said they don't like the light shining but it's low LED but if it bothers you just black it out.

Night Light.jpg

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
The auto start in our rangers cant be turned off permanently except by using a chip, LED light or FORscan correct?
I have been trying to turn mine off on the display but it resets every time I restart the truck. Even reset the Mykey I made to limit my top speed.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death. I did a search but my skills must be terrible as i didn't find the detailed info I was looking for.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
The auto start in our rangers cant be turned off permanently except by using a chip, LED light or FORscan correct?
I have been trying to turn mine off on the display but it resets every time I restart the truck. Even reset the Mykey I made to limit my top speed.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death. I did a search but my skills must be terrible as i didn't find the detailed info I was looking for.
This topic has been discussed a lot, as many members have passionate feelings about A/S/S, pro and con. I don't feel strongly about it, either way, but it is kind of annoying, and so I just press the OFF button routinely when I start the vehicle. Nowadays, I mostly just drive in Sport mode anyway (because it is more fun), which turns it off automatically. If you don't like pressing OFF or driving in Sport, then plugging any electrical device into the rear outlet does the trick as well. Many members use little LED nightlights for convenience, but, if you don't want to buy anything new, again, any device that draws electricity will turn it off at the start up.
Sponsored