Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I just got back from picking t-tap and I got the blue 16-14 gauge T-tap and just realized in the pic RC uses the yellow (larger) t-tap. Anyone know if the slightly smaller blue t-taps are too small? I don't want to make a THIRD trip to Advance Auto today. :crazy:

Edit: Looking at the taps that came with the kit, the blue t-tap should be fine.
Sponsored

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I just got back from picking t-tap and I got the blue 16-14 gauge T-tap and just realized in the pic RC uses the yellow (larger) t-tap. Anyone know if the slightly smaller blue t-taps are too small? I don't want to make a THIRD trip to Advance Auto today. :crazy:

Edit: Looking at the taps that came with the kit, the blue t-tap should be fine.
I used blue as well.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
All done. I soldered and heat-shrinked the the power wire. Not really necessary, but I always do.

A couple tips:

I've got fat fingers and crappy eyesight, so if there's any way to make a job easier, I'll figure it out.

• I'm not sure if it is mentioned here, but definitely disconnect the massive plug going into the side of the fusebox to make it easier get to that gray/brown wire.
  • It comes right out. Just push in on black tab and pull up on the white handle and it pops out and gives you a few extra inches of wire to play with. That gray/brown wire (right next to the gray/blue wire) is your target.

push-pull-plug-2.png

• Keep extra taps on hand. It wasn't until the third tap that I got it to actually connect good enough to the wire where I was happy and not worried it would be a permanent fitting. Even with pulling the plug out, its a somewhat tight fit holding the tap closed and getting a pair of pliers on it.

• Double check ALL your connections. I had everything connected and could not figure out why not only the auto-folding wasn't working, but even the manual folding wasn't working either. Turns out I completely forgot to plug in the little black module. Duh.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
If you aren’t familiar with pulling trim pieces, to get the trim part that holds the vent in gently work around the edge with a trim removal tool. Work it on all sides.

3F3345B2-B773-4217-A1AD-8EF83FBE8D08.jpeg

Jimiv123

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, FX4, Sport Package, Magnetic
Occupation
IT Grunt
This Mod is freakin' sweet!!

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
This worked like a charm and the install was quite easy following this thread. Thank for doing all this @RCMUSTANG. One clarification question. If my preference is to have it unfold whenever it’s unlocked with the fob, or FordPass or handle, do I simply connect the green wire from the module to the one you have marked in this photo and I annotated? For others reading this thread, if you don’t connect the green to anything the behavior is it unfolds when you start the engine with the button in the car.
44BEBEE8-2D16-4FBD-8A52-9A8E6113CC36.jpeg
I was under the impression you connected the green wire to the same gray/black wire if you wanted the unfold on unlock. That image is RCMustang’s (which I photoshopped with the labels). I assumed that wire tap with the green wire was for something unrelated to this install. But he would need to chime in on that.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
The bottom was a leftover from the dealer alarm. The instructions that come with it detail the unfold with lock. I don't care for it to work that way.

BadRobot65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser 2008
Im just getting around to installing mine it dosent work, whats the odds of me getting a bad module I followed the instructions to the letter, is there a way of checking if its connected correctly.
Thanks
David

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Make sure the switch button isn't pushed. Make sure there's constant to the red at the module, make sure the lock flashes with a test light when you arm it. Make sure all connections are tight.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got around to installing mine... After a couple of bad crimps (those wires are tiny) I'm up and running. Anyone mess with connecting the unlock (green) wire? I'm thinking it probably goes to the grey/blue striped wire but not sure. Thanks again @RCMUSTANG

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Finally got around to installing mine... After a couple of bad crimps (those wires are tiny) I'm up and running. Anyone mess with connecting the unlock (green) wire? I'm thinking it probably goes to the grey/blue striped wire but not sure. Thanks again @RCMUSTANG
It should go to the unlock wire. Just use a test light and hit unlock. If it flashes that's the right one. I didn't do that so I'm not sure if you hook everything else the same or not. The instructions should detail that.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Successfully installed mine this morning. Purchased the fuse tap from Amazon (pkg of 2 for $8.99) and used a blue wire tap included in the kit to make the connection to the gray/brown factory wire. Using Anthony's tip on removing the massive plug was a big help for accessing that gray/brown wire.

Biggest problem was getting the vent trim panel removed. I had a set of HF's vinyl coated pry bar/trim tools from years ago and was using them to work the trim off. Not the easiest tool to use but made it work. I found it easier to start popping the trim panel loose from the display side using the pry tool, then inserting pinky finger inside the vent to pop the outer side out.

Thanks RC for all your efforts on making this happen. I've one of only 21 NA Rangers that have a special feature - auto folding mirrors on door lock (soon to be one of only 41 it appears!).

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered mine and had a thought....If I have it set to unfold on Accessory On, and I use the remote start, will they unfold when the truck starts or when I put in my key and turn it? It doesn't matter, just curious.

Jrye22

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered mine and had a thought....If I have it set to unfold on Accessory On, and I use the remote start, will they unfold when the truck starts or when I put in my key and turn it? It doesn't matter, just curious.
Mine opens with remote start

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase