Auto Folding Mirror Mod Install Instructions - Pictures/Video

claflico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Just installed mine in my Lariat today but it's not working. Went with the "unfold on ACC" option.

Red wire is connected via ATR fuse tap plugged into #30 fuse location. Have confirmed with multimeter that I get 12.2V on the module side of the blue crimpdown.

Used the blue squeeze tap with blue male connecter to connect the module blue wire to the truck grey/brown wire. Don't have a test light but the multimeter touching the module side of the crimpdown jumps up to about 7V then back to 0 whenever I push the lock button in the door.

With the truck turned off and the module connected to the truck wiring harness, the mirrors fold in when I plug the fuse tap to #30. When I press the start button the mirrors fold out.

When I press the fold button the mirrors still fold & unfold correctly but when I push the door locks with either the inside door button, outside door button, or key fob button nothing happens. Have reseated the black module to the white connector several times, have disconnected & re-connected wiring harness several times, have disconnected & reconnected fuse taps several times.

I ran out of daylight but I'll try to mess with it some more tomorrow.

EDIT: Got it working. During one of my disconnecting/reconnecting the splice into the lock wire I evidently bent the pin so that it didn't go into the groove...was too dark to see it until the next day.
Sponsored

Last edited:

scubalizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Make sure you are actually taped into the grey brown wire. There is another that looks similar that I first taped into too

Just installed mine in my Lariat today but it's not working. Went with the "unfold on ACC" option.

Red wire is connected via ATR fuse tap plugged into #30 fuse location. Have confirmed with multimeter that I get 12.2V on the module side of the blue crimpdown.

Used the blue squeeze tap with blue male connecter to connect the module blue wire to the truck grey/brown wire. Don't have a test light but the multimeter touching the module side of the crimpdown jumps up to about 7V then back to 0 whenever I push the lock button in the door.

With the truck turned off and the module connected to the truck wiring harness, the mirrors fold in when I plug the fuse tap to #30. When I press the start button the mirrors fold out.

When I press the fold button the mirrors still fold & unfold correctly but when I push the door locks with either the inside door button, outside door button, or key fob button nothing happens. Have reseated the black module to the white connector several times, have disconnected & re-connected wiring harness several times, have disconnected & reconnected fuse taps several times.

I ran out of daylight but I'll try to mess with it some more tomorrow.

claflico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Got it working. During one of my disconnecting/reconnecting the splice into the lock wire I evidently bent the pin so that it didn't go into the groove...was too dark to see it until the next day.

PAUL J CAIN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x2
Mine is installed and working correctly . Thanks for all the great info here .

ABKsDad

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
installed mine over the weekend - it is nice to not have to push a button to fold / unfold the mirros

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Here's what I got back about the ones having remote stay open issues in fairly to very cold temps.

• Unplug the module so its back to standard (at the switch. Quick. )
  1. In the evening fold the mirrors in using the switch in the car
  2. In the morning (without doing any remote start) open the truck and try the switch and see what happens
Just curious if anyone who has the issue where one mirror sometimes does not unfold has tried this test yet? My guess is it will work every time with the button and the issue is timing with the module, but that is only a guess and I've not had time to mess with my truck at all.

SnowCaine

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger FX4, Mitsubishi Evolution X
Occupation
Laid off due to covid-19
where does one buy this kit? super handy for off roading in the rain and snow :D

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Original Thread Here: Auto Folding Mirrors

Auto folding mirrors. Folds closed when you lock the truck. Unfolds when you power up the truck. Regular operation with stock switch. 20 minute install.
The switch bezel pops right off.
Unplug the connector.
Plug the module in between the switch and connector.
Tuck everything inside.
I used an add a tap to #30 for the constant for the red wire.
Connect the blue wire to the thick gray with brown stripe (lock).
Stick the module on the inside of the left side of the dash and tied up all the wiring. Close up fuse panel and you're done.

NOTE: THE ADD A TAPS SHOULD GAVE THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION THAN PICTURED.
20190322_153420.jpg
20190322_153547.jpg
20190322_153727.jpg
20190322_155523.jpg
20190322_155515.jpg
How much did the module set you back?

pacecapt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Hello, I am a new Ranger owner. I purchased my 2020 Ranger Lariat in late August 2020. I discovered this threat as my last car had the folding mirror option and I miss it. I was wondering if this is the kit from England and has anyone had an issues with their Remote Start feature after installing the module? I read that it will not work with the Remote Start option.

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I am a new Ranger owner. I purchased my 2020 Ranger Lariat in late August 2020. I discovered this threat as my last car had the folding mirror option and I miss it. I was wondering if this is the kit from England and has anyone had an issues with their Remote Start feature after installing the module? I read that it will not work with the Remote Start option.
Do you have remote start in the UK? Mine is EU-spec and doesn't come with remote start. And according to feedback from Ford, it also cannot be upgraded. I would love to be able and get a remote start option too cool my car down in Spain. And meanwhile heat the engine before taking off.

pacecapt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Do you have remote start in the UK? Mine is EU-spec and doesn't come with remote start. And according to feedback from Ford, it also cannot be upgraded. I would love to be able and get a remote start option too cool my car down in Spain. And meanwhile heat the engine before taking off.
Sorry, maybe I was not clear I am in Florida but I read that it does not work if you have remote start...

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
not true. I have factory remote start and this auto folding mirror module installed and I've never had any issues with remote start. The only issue I'm aware of that some of us reported that sometimes a mirror may not unfold. A quick push of the button and it will unfold. That said, we saw this in colder weather and since we now have warmer weather, I've had no issues at all

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, maybe I was not clear I am in Florida but I read that it does not work if you have remote start...
No problem. EU versions only come with open/close on remote. That's why I got confused. But It shouldn't be too hard to hardwire a solid state relay between the mirror folding contacts. Which operates when either internal light is functioning or engine running. But for the moment it is not a priority for me.

idesi1

First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Ignot Silver with 501A + Sport package
Sorry for asking this but since I have a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT will this module work on the Explorer too?

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
No idea but I doubt it.
Sponsored