Auto Folding Mirror Mod Install Instructions - Pictures/Video

petulantskeptic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat
I need everyone who has the unfolding issue to post a reply with your unfold option (ignition or unlock), when it happens (remote start with either fob or app, approximate temp, how often), and everything opens and closes properly with factory switch. I'm going back and forth with thr vendor and they with the factory to try and get this solved. So, far I'm counting 6 or 7 people.
Mine is configured to unfold on unlock. The problem happens if I remote start it (via key fob or via app) and it's cold (I'd guess it doesn't happen above 45* F but don't know the exact temperature at which it goes away entirely). Most commonly happens in the morning. It's also not 100% of the time that it's cold, though it is most of the time (probably 80% when it's cold and I remote start).

Has only happened to my passenger mirror. Drivers mirror always unfolds appropriately on unlock. Cycling the fold switch on the dashboard fixes it with 100% reliability.
Sponsored

dguffin

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Corsair, 19 Ranger, 12 Boss, 08 Zuma
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't matter what I use to lock doors or start vehicle. Right mirror doesn't fold out below 20F most of time. Worse the colder it gets. Button inside vehicle always corrects problem.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Be detailed, please. I will be copying and pasting each comment and forwarding to the vendor and they will forward to the manufacturer.

Allen_rubin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I need everyone who has the unfolding issue to post a reply with your unfold option (ignition or unlock), when it happens (remote start with either fob or app, approximate temp, how often), and everything opens and closes properly with factory switch. I'm going back and forth with thr vendor and they with the factory to try and get this solved. So, far I'm counting 6 or 7 people.
I’m having the same issue with remote start from the APP, no matter what the tempature is the passenger side window will not unfold when remote starting from the app.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I’m having the same issue with remote start from the APP, no matter what the tempature is the passenger side window will not unfold when remote starting from the app.
What about with the key fob?

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Some may find this interesting: Below 50 Deg F my mirrors do not unfold when I unlock my vehicle BUT they do unfold on engine start. When the interior is warm (above 50 Deg) they work normally...

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Some may find this interesting: Below 50 Deg F my mirrors do not unfold when I unlock my vehicle BUT they do unfold on engine start. When the interior is warm (above 50 Deg) they work normally...
Is it configured for ign or unlock unfold? Also you may have a connection issue as you say when the interior is 50+. Most people are having issues with exterior temp.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Is it configured for ign or unlock unfold? Also you may have a connection issue as you say when the interior is 50+. Most people are having issues with exterior temp.
My mirrors are configured to fold on lock an to unfold on unlock, additionally they are configured to unfold on engine start.
I should alter my initial statement to read cabin temp below 50 deg F because it can be below 50 deg air temp but if parked in the sun, cabin temp could be significantly higher that outside air temp...

CAL_08

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
My mirrors are configured for unfold at ignition start. Truthfully, I have only remote started my car when it is needed, so I would imagine that it is tied to outside temps. The passenger side mirror will not unfold and it happens 100% of the time. I am not sure if it behaves differently above a certain temperature but will watch it closely. The issue occurs no matter key fob start or app start. Is there a way to cancel the auto mirror function so that it doesn't fold and unfold? Pull the fuse for the add a circuit? Thanks.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
My mirrors are configured for unfold at ignition start. Truthfully, I have only remote started my car when it is needed, so I would imagine that it is tied to outside temps. The passenger side mirror will not unfold and it happens 100% of the time. I am not sure if it behaves differently above a certain temperature but will watch it closely. The issue occurs no matter key fob start or app start. Is there a way to cancel the auto mirror function so that it doesn't fold and unfold? Pull the fuse for the add a circuit? Thanks.
I would imagine that all you would have to do is unplug your auto-fold module to return the system to original configuration...

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
To be honest, I posted my temp related fold problem spontaneously. I was unaware that others have a similar "problem" because I have not really kept up with this thread.

Keeping with your request above: I have my mirrors configured to fold and unfold on lock and unlock. I believe the mirrors default to unlock with the engine running because they unfold when I start, manually or remotely.
I only have an issue (abate minor) when the cabin air temp is below 50 degrees F; then the mirrors do NOT unfold on unlock BUT they DO unfold on engine start.

Ray, I hope this helps with your queries with the vendor...

CAL_08

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I would imagine that all you would have to do is unplug your auto-fold module to return the system to original configuration...
I was looking for a temporary cancellation. I am aware that I could pull the trim pieces off and remove the harness and plug the stock switch into the mirror open/close plug to permanently delete the function.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
i have only used the dash mounted switch to fold the mirrors, did not know of any other options.

Manual button works every time.
Ignition triggers mirrors to unfold
Happens in the morning, around 40 F, with only one exception where it failed in the afternoon, but still a cold day.
Only the passenger mirror fails to unfold when this happens. Drivers mirror has never failed to unfold on my truck.
Very inconsistent, about 1 failure out of 15+ remote starts
I always use the key fob to remote start

When this happens, I just use the button and it always works - mirror unfolds.

I agree it could be related to outside temp, as I remote start everyday when I leave work and it has only failed to unfold once.

Could be the gears/sensor as already mentioned.

My theory is this is a Timing issue, where the signal to unfold is sent to the mirrors too soon. When I start my truck from inside and watch the mirrors unfold, I see they initialize, indicated by the blind spot light in the mirror flashes and then the mirror unfolds. If this is correct, then the fix would be to program a slight delay for the module to send the unfold signal. Just a guess, but given how the entire truck as to boot up or initialize, it is possible this is the issue IMHO.

The Fold command when I lock my truck has never failed. The issue for me is "unfold" when I start the truck.

Thanks RCMustang for looking into this.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Here's what I got back about the ones having remote stay open issues in fairly to very cold temps.

• Unplug the module so its back to standard (at the switch. Quick. )
  1. In the evening fold the mirrors in using the switch in the car
  2. In the morning (without doing any remote start) open the truck and try the switch and see what happens
Sponsored