Audio System "Enhanced" Engine Sound and your Subwoofer

Ed Venture

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Hey that's great news! does it look like the wire colors are the same as the original plug?
It does! I just got it installed and have some tweaking to do, but everything seems to match up. I'm going to open a new post for the harness so that I don't clutter this discussion with cross-talk.

RaptorBKK

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor 2020
The funny thing about that video was that they never showed what it looked like from the headliner side or specifically where it is in the car. That said, it sure does look like what mine might look like from the headliner side.

Anybody know if the Ranger headliner is held up by magnets like the 'Stang? That sure would make things easy.
The headliner in my Raptor looks a real nightmare to remove, its held up by screws in sun visors, roof handles, centre lights etc., don't think there is magnets, probably similar for other rangers too.

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
The headliner in my Raptor looks a real nightmare to remove, its held up by screws in sun visors, roof handles, centre lights etc., don't think there is magnets, probably similar for other rangers too.
I've discovered two important facts about this discussion:

1) What happens in the Raptor/Lariat/XLT/etc. does not always translate across trim levels.

2) This is an off-road vehicle. By design, everything has to be tightly tied down. I discovered this (I am such a noob) on Saturday when I did my first off road excursion and the rear seat, which I had trouble latching, drove me nuts banging around on every bump :curse:

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT, Ford Performance, Winter-Beaters

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this has been posted yet, so here goes.

I am 98% sure that I have eliminated the enhanced engine noise via the NavTV Zen A2B and an aftermarket amp, removing the stock B&O amp!! I guess that's a secret unlockable feature on crew cab Lariats that other trims may not be able to do...

20200322_120338.jpg

James Martincic

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt, 2005 Saleen mustang, 2019 ram 2500
I've discovered two important facts about this discussion:

1) What happens in the Raptor/Lariat/XLT/etc. does not always translate across trim levels.

2) This is an off-road vehicle. By design, everything has to be tightly tied down. I discovered this (I am such a noob) on Saturday when I did my first off road excursion and the rear seat, which I had trouble latching, drove me nuts banging around on every bump :curse:
I’m having trouble latching my rear seat as well

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure if this has been posted yet, so here goes.

I am 98% sure that I have eliminated the enhanced engine noise via the NavTV Zen A2B and an aftermarket amp, removing the stock B&O amp!! I guess that's a secret unlockable feature on crew cab Lariats that other trims may not be able to do...

20200322_120338.jpg
Hmmm... I could see the Zen unit being smart enough to take that out of the processing. Good to know for the B&O unit guys. Honestly, I don't think there's any truly good way to upgrade the B&O system without the Zen unit. Without that it's just an amp on top of an amp, making built in processing issues worse.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I am guessing the engine sound is a digital feed from the Sync module that would get summed at the head unit or the B&O amp. There's a chance that replacing either may do the trick. Has anyone with more basic Sync HU tried an HU replacement or upgrade?

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
For what it's worth, I noticed that my symposer sounds completely went away when I added a 4 channel speaker level input amp to my XL (4" screen). It also routed my chimes to the IPC speaker--which I didn't want.

I tapped the rear speakers for a powered subwoofer and there is no engine noise being routed to it.

Now, if I didn't add a 4 channel amp, I'm pretty sure the engine noise would still be routed to the speakers. I think it has something to do with the sync module not detecting the usual resistance from the speakers and assumes they aren't there.

WhiteLightning19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Lariat with non-BO system and I'm about 98% sure it has enhanced engine noise being pumped in. I also have a 2020 Explorer limited with the 2.3L and the engine sounds are vastly different. The explorer sounds wimpy vs the Ranger.

OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
For what it's worth, I noticed that my symposer sounds completely went away when I added a 4 channel speaker level input amp to my XL (4" screen). It also routed my chimes to the IPC speaker--which I didn't want.

I tapped the rear speakers for a powered subwoofer and there is no engine noise being routed to it.

Now, if I didn't add a 4 channel amp, I'm pretty sure the engine noise would still be routed to the speakers. I think it has something to do with the sync module not detecting the usual resistance from the speakers and assumes they aren't there.
This is an interesting comment. You may be on to something. Did you add a line out converter unit like an AudioControl LC4i? I have to wonder these units present a standard load to the speaker inputs.

In any case something I'm toying with is taking a signal off the rears both while leaving the rear speakers driving output and while having them disconnected. I'll both see if I enjoy the tonal balance and lack of rear fill with them gone, and also see if any enhanced engine sound is being reproduced.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
This is an interesting comment. You may be on to something. Did you add a line out converter unit like an AudioControl LC4i? I have to wonder these units present a standard load to the speaker inputs.

In any case something I'm toying with is taking a signal off the rears both while leaving the rear speakers driving output and while having them disconnected. I'll both see if I enjoy the tonal balance and lack of rear fill with them gone, and also see if any enhanced engine sound is being reproduced.
HI Zaph, I used an Alpine 445u along with a parrot cable. The sub is a Rockville 8" powered underseat box connected before the alpine 445. I'm assuming if there was no alpine amp, the synooser sounds would have fine to the subs and annoyed the crap outta me
Sponsored