Approx how long do original pads last?

Deleted member 1634

Depends how aggressively you drive and brake. I've known some people who need to change their brakes every 30k-40k miles, and others who can last 2+ times as long. I don't think there's a good average number. Best practice is to just listen and feel for when they start going bad, then change them then.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Depends how aggressively you drive and brake. I've known some people who need to change their brakes every 30k-40k miles, and others who can last 2+ times as long. I don't think there's a good average number. Best practice is to just listen and feel for when they start going bad, then change them then.
I always check the pads when I rotate the tires....

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
My parts guys have noticed the same trend that I did..
I have commonly seen 90- 100,000 miles or so from front disc brakes and as much as twice that from rear drums.
However, in recent years I am seeing 45-55,000 miles on fronts and a bit more on the rear discs or drums.
Not sure whether that is because of brake compound changes, or more complex ABS controls.
Still, as you say, driving habits still make a huge difference.
On the track , it is brake as late as possible, as seldom as possible , and as hard as possible .
With this Ranger, even without engine braking I find myself coasting up to a stop with only a late and soft pedal application.

Lonewolf

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crewcab FX4
Occupation
Chemist
I had 120,00 miles on my 2017 Nissan Frontier when i traded it in.
It still had the original tires and brakes on it.
Tire tread was almost to the wear lines. Brakes still felt great.
But I drive a lot of highway miles.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Brake pad life is mostly depends on a couple key factors. Pad material, driving conditions, and driver habits. I have seen break pads last as little as 8K and as long as 130K miles. If you are an aggressive driver and tend to brake late and heavy your pads will last significantly shorter than if less aggressive braking is used. City driving is also a big contributor to increased break wear with all the stop/go driving especially compared to highway mileage.

Semi-metalic pads (most common) on average last between 40-90K miles.
Ceramic pads (primarily used in OEM sports and heavy duty vehicles) typically last between 60-120K miles on average.
Carbon Fiber pads (usually only found in specialty applications) may last 10-70K miles.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It all depends on your driving habits.

Our '02 Tacoma had 175,000 miles when we traded it in on our new Ranger. It still had the original factory installed brakes.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Its different for everyone. We have operators where I work that get double the millage out of their brakes, compared to others..... simply because they know how to drive with a heavy load (and probably do not drive like a butthole as well). Inspection is key, anything backing plate thinness and below (fiction material thickness), should be considered for replacement soon. Ride the pads too thin and the friction material will start to peel and flake off the backing plate.... its hard to say how long they exactly will last.

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
Easy to check your brake master cylinder fluid level. The level usually goes down to almost the Low level before pads need replacing. That's how it worked on my FWD cars anyway. Still a visual of pads is good especially if one wheel is going bad before the rest.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
As others have said, I would say until they start to feel soft or give you noises.

My Mustang I had with 80k miles had original pads and lost ~1mm of pad thickness since new.

My Ranger has gone through 2 sets of pads on the rear already because I was getting squealing noises pretty much from the time I drove it off the lot. This third set seems to be doing well. Never had any application/performance issues, just noise.
Sponsored