RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with giving it a shot yourself! You get pretty much the same protection, and if you end up wanting to redo it you can and it still might have been cheaper. Did you do your headlights as well? One thing I noticed was that especially on compound curves, they cut reliefs in to make sure the film didnt bunch up. And one of the easiest spots to see it is on like the top edge of the headlights where is starts to wrap around.
I did do my headlights too - one came out GREAT - the other wasn't bad, but it isn't perfect. The spots I had the most trouble with were the compound curves on the bumper and bumper filler piece (the piece above the bumper).
Sponsored

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I had a company called Ghost Shield do a front end clear bra on my Ranger right when i bought it. They cover the whole leading edge of the front, bumper, headlights, fog lights, fenders and hood. The edge is barely visible as it goes across the top of the hood about 20 inches back from the leading edge. It is barely noticeable and it most definitely stops rock chips. I got sprayed by a gravel truck on the freeway and got 12-13 small chips in my windshield but 0 chips anywhere on the paint or lights.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
I did do my headlights too - one came out GREAT - the other wasn't bad, but it isn't perfect. The spots I had the most trouble with were the compound curves on the bumper and bumper filler piece (the piece above the bumper).
Ill grab a picture of how they did mine, maybe it will help you or some else doing it themselves.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
One of my friends owns a Mercedes Benz that is a few years old. When he purchased the vehicle he had a shop in the area apply a thin plastic film to the front of the vehicle and hood and the front of the outside mirrors. This prevents stones from chipping the paint. It's hardly noticeable and seems like a neat feature.

I started thinking about having this done to my Ranger. But I'd like to hear from others that may have done this.

Anyone ever heard of this?
Try not tailgating...it works wonders.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Try not tailgating...it works wonders.

I've lost windows in my vehicle several times from 1. 100+ feet of following distance, 2. Oncoming traffic throwing up rocks, 3. vehicles in a different lane traveling the same direction.

I currently have a stone chip on the roof of my truck from a rock thrown by a semi that was going by me the other direction. Yes, on the roof...

Sometimes the easiest answer isn't the correct one.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
I bought a new 2008 Volvo XC90 and shortly thereafter installed a 'Clear Bra.' VERY happy with it and after 80,000 miles it looked as good as new. Some have complained of yellowing but it was not my experience. Sold the vehicle several years ago. Original thought was to cover the headlights only since each 'bucket' was $1,300, but ended up covering the front, 1/2 way up the hood. Cost was about $450 at the time and when sold there was not a chip to be found.

Today's paint seems to chip much more easily than paints of old. Will likely install Clear Bra or a like product on the new Ranger. Here in Wyoming it's really needed. For example the rule of thumb is "A windshield a year.' I'm proof positive as the first chip ran all the way across the window was on the way home from the dealer.

OP
OP

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I've lost windows in my vehicle several times from 1. 100+ feet of following distance, 2. Oncoming traffic throwing up rocks, 3. vehicles in a different lane traveling the same direction.

I currently have a stone chip on the roof of my truck from a rock thrown by a semi that was going by me the other direction. Yes, on the roof...

Sometimes the easiest answer isn't the correct one.
I'm with you on this. Living in a rural area they sometimes cover roads with stone here. With all the road work going on in Ohio there is a good chance of stones and gravel being thrown around by the traffic. I've been hit with stones at some surprisingly long distances.

Heck the road in front my home has a patch 3x4 ft that is filled with gravel. Been that way for 2 weeks.

Really amazed that something I knew nothing about is being used by so many.

Last edited:

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
@RedlandRanger It was harder to take a photo of that relief cut than I imagined. Heres what I grabbed but I may try again when its not as sunny.

20191102_151504.jpg

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
One of my friends owns a Mercedes Benz that is a few years old. When he purchased the vehicle he had a shop in the area apply a thin plastic film to the front of the vehicle and hood and the front of the outside mirrors. This prevents stones from chipping the paint. It's hardly noticeable and seems like a neat feature.

I started thinking about having this done to my Ranger. But I'd like to hear from others that may have done this.

Anyone ever heard of this?
I had all that and more including the bumper, front grill, and several areas in the lower body that are subject to road debris. I paid for it as a lot was custom but I with the investment I had in the truck, I felt it was worth it. Get someone certified with 3M and you will love the results.

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Just throwing out a caution that echo’s a lot of the comments.

1. Let a professional put the clear film down. Unless you have done this before, or can afford to buy two kits.
  2. Make sure the ppl applying the film are 3M certified. You should see some high end cars in the shop being worked on
  3. Ask to see pictures of cars / trucks / motorcycles they have done.
It doesn’t look hard to apply, but talk to a few ppl that have done it. Most folks I know are very pleased with it once done. A guy I used to work with opened a shop that applies the clear film as well as window tint and all things kinda related. They do a lot of high end cars and trucks. I got a little bit of his insight on what and how to get a proper job in applying the film with a quality installation.

A few guys in my mustang club buy roles of the stuff at pep boys. They “loosely” apply it on the front end covering their bumper and grill areas. They are hoping to save their Shelby’s from rock chips while driving to the car shows. Once they arrive they peel it off. When it’s time to go home, they apply more.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
Just throwing out a caution that echo’s a lot of the comments.

1. Let a professional put the clear film down. Unless you have done this before, or can afford to buy two kits.
  2. Make sure the ppl applying the film are 3M certified. You should see some high end cars in the shop being worked on
  3. Ask to see pictures of cars / trucks / motorcycles they have done.

[…]
And don‘t forget to peel this stuff off latest after 5 or 6 years to prevent that the paltry paintshop Ford does to this cars peels of with this foil if you want to renew it later... espacialy if you are in a hot area! I tryed it and it works /:confused: looks like a rat after that

I decided to wrap the whole car cause of this poor paint. I could do scratches with my fingernails in... Not shure if I should peel it of sometimes or let the one who buys it in 10 years do that job:devil:

just my 5 cents
Sponsored