Any one planning on going on an eclipse watching trip April 9th?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Yeah my small town is going to get swamped. I'm going to stay put.

Have you seen the reports of several states issuing warnings to stock up on food, gas and water? They are making it like a crisis event when they never did before, drumming up hysteria probably for the sole reason of securing more funding/federal dollars. Texas has actually declared disaster declarations. For a tourism event. They never miss an opportunity to be scumbags.
Sponsored

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
Yes, many counties are indeed enacting Disaster Declarations only because "Enacting the declaration in advance activates the county’s emergency management plan to take lifesaving precautions and authorizes more aid if needed." In those areas, it's expected the population to temporarily double, creating a potential for real traffic issues. We are just a short distance from I35, and on a good day, traffic SUCKS. I can't fathom what it'll be like that day.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Yes, many counties are indeed enacting Disaster Declarations only because "Enacting the declaration in advance activates the county’s emergency management plan to take lifesaving precautions and authorizes more aid if needed." In those areas, it's expected the population to temporarily double, creating a potential for real traffic issues. We are just a short distance from I35, and on a good day, traffic SUCKS. I can't fathom what it'll be like that day.
Yeah...we have a four way stop in the center of town. No traffic lights just stop signs. It works here cause it's that kind of place. But man when the out-of-towners come...instead of watching the eclipse maybe I'll just setup a lawn chair there and watch the smashups from A-holes and idiots jumping their turn.

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Like others have said, if it s not cloudy, I will just go out on the patio to watch. Live the near the edge, dont need to travel so be closer to the center.

In 2017 a buddy wanted to see that eclipse with his 12 year old daughter. they drove about 4 hours to watch it, and then spent about 7 hours to get back home.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
We will be joining a RV party group in Paris TX to watch it, towing the Ranger. It is fitting it's on the 8th as that's my Birthday :)

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in the direct path so hoping for a sunny/moony day (Not those Moonies though… :crazy:). I’d hate to have to wait for another 300-odd years for the next one.

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
We will make the drive down to southern Illinois and take in a hike in shawnee national forest. Its about a 2 hour drive. Its in the total zone.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
We live in the line of totality, so no travel necessary. Living on an eastern ridge gives up an unobstructed view of the horizon as well. Hoping for clear skies...

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
The eclipse from Ohio did not dissapoint! We had thin clouds but still had fantastic viewing. It was simply amazing. I have now seen 2 total eclipses from the path of totality. God is good!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The eclipse from Ohio did not dissapoint! We had thin clouds but still had fantastic viewing. It was simply amazing. I have now seen 2 total eclipses from the path of totality. God is good!
Yes it was cool. I watched from a place about 2 miles from my house. I didn't hear of any of the crazy traffic jams or anything they predicted. The advertised viewings at the metro parks may have had issues but I haven't heard from anyone that had any complaints.

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
We took the trip 2 hours south to shawnee national forest in southern illinois. The eclipse was awesome. Traffic really sucked for the trip back to st. Louis. About 5 hours. I would sit in the traffic again in a hearbeat.

Last edited:

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Yes it was cool. I watched from a place about 2 miles from my house. I didn't hear of any of the crazy traffic jams or anything they predicted. The advertised viewings at the metro parks may have had issues but I haven't heard from anyone that had any complaints.
yeah, they predicted a major influx of people as I am near a huge lake and state park, but did not notice much increase of people. Maybe we'll hear the opposite on the news tomorrow! But it was very chill where my brother lives near the lake.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Sucky pic from my my phone, through eclipse glasses.
1712677646236-rw.png
Sponsored