Any Advise on Winter Tires

CPDKRX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 1981 RX-7, 2005 Vulcan 800
I'm up in Canada and will need winter tires.

Currently have 17" wheels but was hoping to go to 16" steelies with 265/70-16.

Anybody have experience with this?

What's the implication if I don't use TPMS?

Thanks

rims.jpg
Sponsored

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
Im planning on going with nokian’s this winter. The plan is to get new wheels and just put the winters on the stock 18” wheels. Ive done steelies in the past and since a warning light on the dash (1)drives me nuts and (2)my inspection sticker is up in February it would fail because of the dash light, I would as I have in the past purchased the tpms sensors for the steelies. Do you plan on studded or non studded tires?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I bought a set of used 17” alloy wheels for about what you would pay for new steelies. No rust. No TPMS sensors probably means a dash light on all the time. I bought Motorcraft sensors from eBay for about $31 each. Not sure what that translates to in Canadian funds.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
I’ve been using winters/snows (softer compound) tires religiously on
My previous vehicles (‘05 Freestar van, ‘07 Fusion, and a ‘17 Escape).

Went through last winter with my stock FX4 SCrew and the stock Hankook AT/M’s and it was never an issue. On the odd time I’d put her in 4-high for the little bit needed and then on my way.

But I will be watching this as I do want (but not necessarily “need”) “real” snows for this season...

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
I personally will be putting Hankook i-Pike RW-11 tires onto my 17” Sport Wheels. These have the option to be studded if needed. The Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 tires that I just put on will be moved to the set of Ranger Raptor wheels that I just bought.
I would suggest investing in a set of TPMS sensors especially since having two sets of seasonal tires will make them all last for a number of years, so the investment over time will be quite small.

Deleted member 1634

I’ve been using winters/snows (softer compound) tires religiously on
My previous vehicles (‘05 Freestar van, ‘07 Fusion, and a ‘17 Escape).

Went through last winter with my stock FX4 SCrew and the stock Hankook AT/M’s and it was never an issue. On the odd time I’d put her in 4-high for the little bit needed and then on my way.

But I will be watching this as I do want (but not necessarily “need”) “real” snows for this season...
I'm pretty much in this same boat. Always had snow tires on all my previous vehicles, but went without on the Ranger last winter and did fine. Some slipping, but now that I've learned how to drive it in the winter (never had a RWD/4WD vehicle before) I'm debating whether I just deal with the stock Hankooks and use 4WD more often or actually get a set of snows. Now that we have my wife's new Escape, we won't be taking the truck on as many, if any, winter trips (if we even have any this winter because of the world), so I'd be fine doing the work commute and an occasional trip into town if need be with it.

As far as OPs questions. I've always went down a wheel size and gone with plain steels for winter tires in the past, and it's what I would do for snows on the Ranger if I go that route. At first I wasn't sure steels would look good on my Ranger, but now I don't really care as much. haha Certainly don't care enough to pay 2-3x as much for designed wheels. I've also gotten TPMS sensors installed in the snow wheels in the past, just so it's "legal", but never actually connected them to the vehicle. I don't care about the light, you get used to it after awhile, and we don't have inspections or anything so nobody else ever needs to know or care.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
You can turn TPMS off in forscan and you won't get the dash light.

Reactions: EJH

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
DuraTrac is my tire, and has been since they came out. Mud, snow, ice, no problem.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You could also go for a skinnier tire for more contact pressure, like a 245/75-16. Its the same dia as 265/70-16 and 265/70-17.

Bridgestone has a Blizzak LT winter tire. Haven't used them before but if I was doing winter tires I would. Im thinking I can get one winter out of the new tires I have before throwing winters on.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I have Cooper Discoverer M+S winter tires that I picked up from Canadian Tire. They’re priced great and work even better in the snow!

Deleted member 1634

DuraTrac is my tire, and has been since they came out. Mud, snow, ice, no problem.
In your experience what's been the lifetime of that tire, and how does it affect mileage and cabin noise?

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
While I personally don't think snow tires are needed on a 4x4 truck with a competent AT tire like the Hankooks, I have used the General Altimax Arctic line on cars with great results. I would go with a 245 or 255 width if I were to use a snow tire on the Ranger.

4TH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT +fX4
Got my Ranger at the end of March so no experience with much snow here as of yet. I have the stock 17" Hankooks,but I have the LT version, to my surprise they have the snowflake on them. So going to run them this winter. FYI my spare is the same Hankook all terrain tire on steel rim.

Deleted member 1634

Got my Ranger at the end of March so no experience with much snow here as of yet. I have the stock 17" Hankooks,but I have the LT version, to my surprise they have the snowflake on them. So going to run them this winter. FYI my spare is the same Hankook all terrain tire on steel rim.
As someone who's run the Hankooks in the winter I'll just say that they're pretty good in the snow, but leave quite a bit to be desired when it comes to ice and slush and loose/churned up snow. I did run mine all last winter, and I survived without incident, but it came close a few times. I plan on swapping for dedicated snows this winter.

I would still recommend that you try it without swapping, as you plan on doing, first though. Just so you can experience them they way you drive and the conditions you see first hand. My experience is in no way an end all statement.

Good luck!
Sponsored