Android Auto update - "Coolwalk"

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Has this rolled out to anyone else on here yet? Just showed up in my Ranger yesterday. I like the new split screen for times when I'm streaming music from my phone. But I don't think I like it when I'm playing either FM radio or music from a USB drive. Gotta play around with settings to see what kind of control I have over the layout. I think it'd be fine on larger displays, but on the 8" display on the Rangers, the map gets too reduced.

1675006804297.png

One thing that'll take some adjustment is that the clock has moved from the top left to the bottom right. Ugh.
Sponsored

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Has this rolled out to anyone else on here yet? Just showed up in my Ranger yesterday. I like the new split screen for times when I'm streaming music from my phone. But I don't think I like it when I'm playing either FM radio or music from a USB drive. Gotta play around with settings to see what kind of control I have over the layout. I think it'd be fine on larger displays, but on the 8" display on the Rangers, the map gets too reduced.

1675006804297.png

One thing that'll take some adjustment is that the clock has moved from the top left to the bottom right. Ugh.
I'm still trying to get used to having to look at the screen for the clock...not having it anywhere else on the dash is an annoyance.

I'm super excited to get coolwalk, I've been refreshing my apps daily. LOL.

Maybe today is the day they flip the switch on the backend for me...

Also, I think you can change the layout from split screen to full screen maps... I'll play around once I get it too.

(this is when a larger 11 or 13 inch display would be awesome.)

OP
OP
mtbikernate

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Also, I think you can change the layout from split screen to full screen maps... I'll play around once I get it too.
So I spent a few minutes playing with it. Yes, you can switch from the split screen to full screen. Just tap the icon for whatever app you want to be full screen at the bottom center of the screen as shown in the screenshot. You can quickly go back to the split screen view by tapping the lower left (when you go to full screen mode, that icon changes and will take you back to split screen view).

I think that works well enough for me. I can use split screen when I want it, or I can go back to full screen view (whether that's maps or media or whatever) when I want that, too.

I think what I want most, though, is better AA integration with vehicle systems. Such as, I have to exit the AA interface if I want to mess with the native vehicle systems like the climate control screen, AM/FM radio, controlling music from the USB port, and so on. And I lose the ability to voice control those things when AA is active since the Google Assistant takes over completely. And of course, Coolwalk doesn't do that.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
What's cool walk? I to use AA for navigation on my Ranger but normally don't even plug my phone in when just around town unless I need navigation to a new place locally.
Thanks,

OP
OP
mtbikernate

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
What's cool walk? I to use AA for navigation on my Ranger but normally don't even plug my phone in when just around town unless I need navigation to a new place locally.
Thanks,
coolwalk is what they're calling the split screen view in the screenshot in my first post.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
So I spent a few minutes playing with it. Yes, you can switch from the split screen to full screen. Just tap the icon for whatever app you want to be full screen at the bottom center of the screen as shown in the screenshot. You can quickly go back to the split screen view by tapping the lower left (when you go to full screen mode, that icon changes and will take you back to split screen view).

I think that works well enough for me. I can use split screen when I want it, or I can go back to full screen view (whether that's maps or media or whatever) when I want that, too.

I think what I want most, though, is better AA integration with vehicle systems. Such as, I have to exit the AA interface if I want to mess with the native vehicle systems like the climate control screen, AM/FM radio, controlling music from the USB port, and so on. And I lose the ability to voice control those things when AA is active since the Google Assistant takes over completely. And of course, Coolwalk doesn't do that.
On my Subi I have a kenwood headunit that has a hardware button to switch between the current screen and the previous screen - would be good for AA and manufacturers to integrate something like that. IE you change fan speed and the fan pops up, click it and change whatever than press a previous button and it flips back to AA. an ALT-TAB for the head unit. . . or even a set of tabs along the side that allow you to transition seamlessly...

Alas, that would require a much larger interface - que 11+" displays, finally.

OP
OP
mtbikernate

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
On my Subi I have a kenwood headunit that has a hardware button to switch between the current screen and the previous screen - would be good for AA and manufacturers to integrate something like that. IE you change fan speed and the fan pops up, click it and change whatever than press a previous button and it flips back to AA. an ALT-TAB for the head unit. . . or even a set of tabs along the side that allow you to transition seamlessly...

Alas, that would require a much larger interface - que 11+" displays, finally.
I'd even be okay with how the F150 I drove for work last summer did it. It kept the AA banner up at the bottom of the screen even when you were navigating sync settings. it's better than what we have now.

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor (SOLD 12-14-2023)
Occupation
RETIRED!
Is this just an app update to the phone or is it something that is done to the radio head? I updated the app on my phones and tried it on my 2020 Escape and I don't see anything different. I am using the Motorola MA1 wireless dongle to connect the phone to the vehicle.

OP
OP
mtbikernate

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Is this just an app update to the phone or is it something that is done to the radio head? I updated the app on my phones and tried it on my 2020 Escape and I don't see anything different. I am using the Motorola MA1 wireless dongle to connect the phone to the vehicle.
it's an update to Android Auto on your phone. The rollout is being done kinda slowly, so not everyone will have it yet.

I am using the AAWireless dongle, so it probably will show up for you eventually.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
it's an update to Android Auto on your phone. The rollout is being done kinda slowly, so not everyone will have it yet.

I am using the AAWireless dongle, so it probably will show up for you eventually.
Not here yet.

:-/

PXL_20230129_211136443.MP.jpg

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor (SOLD 12-14-2023)
Occupation
RETIRED!

I did the app update using a mirror sight. The app is showing it is the latest version.

------> APP UPDATE LINK

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I did the app update using a mirror sight. The app is showing it is the latest version.

------> APP UPDATE LINK
It is not a feature tied to the app version. It is a feature that is turned on remotely. I beleive they are rolling out by region. And, don't forget they know where you live! :LOL:

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
iPhone Car Play has had it for a while. I think you have too. You just didn't know it.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still trying to get used to having to look at the screen for the clock...not having it anywhere else on the dash is an annoyance.
Might just be a Lariat thing but I can display radio information , map , clock etc on the small screen to the right in my instrument cluster .

MagLariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat 4x4 Sport
Mine updated a few days ago. Also have AAWireless dongle. I appreciate the new tiled look. Excited to see what can be done now that AA can default to a tiled landscape. I have dabbled in some Android Automation and Android Development. Having access to buttons on the screen based off location seems doable. i.e. Change the upper left tile to a button that will turn on the lights in my house when I am at geolocation X or pop up a button that will allow me to control some other smart devices.
Sponsored