Updated Android Auto?? What is Taking so long??

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
So the one area I like Apple better than Android was the Car Play layout was so much nicer. Now I see Android Auto has rolled out an update which mimics your home screen on your phone like the Car Play does. From what I've read, the update started rolling out in July. It's mid September and I still am not updated. There's even articles on manually having an option to "try the new android auto" from the settings of the old Android Auto app, but I don't even have that option. Is this just a slow roll out or am I missing something to get the update??
Sponsored

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
So the one area I like Apple better than Android was the Car Play layout was so much nicer. Now I see Android Auto has rolled out an update which mimics your home screen on your phone like the Car Play does. From what I've read, the update started rolling out in July. It's mid September and I still am not updated. There's even articles on manually having an option to "try the new android auto" from the settings of the old Android Auto app, but I don't even have that option. Is this just a slow roll out or am I missing something to get the update??
I think it was a slow roll out. I had the option appear in my phone settings just a couple weeks ago. Open android auto, hit settings, then maybe general settings, then there was an option at the top to turn it on.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I just got the update option last week. I got a notification on my phone asking if I wanted to update or not. I would just wait a little longer, if you're concerned, I guess you could always look up an Android Auto customer service number.

The update is well worth doing, I love it so much more than the original and I like it much better than CarPlay. My company work phone is Apple and my personal phone is Android so I use both consistently. I find myself using Android Auto much more often now!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I just got the update option last week. I got a notification on my phone asking if I wanted to update or not. I would just wait a little longer, if you're concerned, I guess you could always look up an Android Auto customer service number.

The update is well worth doing, I love it so much more than the original and I like it much better than CarPlay. My company work phone is Apple and my personal phone is Android so I use both consistently. I find myself using Android Auto much more often now!
So what you're saying is I should break my free iPhone that I got from work (when they are turned in, they give away the old phones free), so I can go back to Android, where things make sense?

Only thing I got going for me is 12.4 is able to be jailbroken making any app CarPlay compatible.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I've never used Android Auto (AA). I like the Sync and it uses everything I use.

My buddies says AA is a must but I'm not sure about it yet. That said I have a few questions

1. Will it connect wirelessly? I have the latest version of the Moto Z.
2. What features will I like? Can anyone point me to some additional information that can be helpful for me to understand the benefits.
3. Enclosed is screen shot of the version of AA installed on my phone.
4. Not knowing anything about AA, is there an update the truck needs?

Thanks

Screenshot_20190917-125554.png

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
I've got a love hate relationship with Android auto. I'm still trying to find the option for it not to automatically connect when I plug in the phone using the USB power outlets in the vehicle. When it does the only thing I really have to complain about is that my Sirius music goes from satellite to the streaming off of the phone. Considering I'm well out of range of cell service much of my highway traveling that makes it a pain when I want to charge my phone. I carry a 12v usb out for that purpose.

Deleted member 1634

I like having the AA navigation option, since I use Google Maps and not Waze. Only problem is apparently my phone can't handle doing all of it at the same time (playing music, following the map, and charging). So after about an hour or so, my phone crashes and/or restarts, disconnecting from the truck completely. More of a problem with my phone than the system. I'm sure I would use it all the time if I had a better phone.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I've got a love hate relationship with Android auto. I'm still trying to find the option for it not to automatically connect when I plug in the phone using the USB power outlets in the vehicle. When it does the only thing I really have to complain about is that my Sirius music goes from satellite to the streaming off of the phone. Considering I'm well out of range of cell service much of my highway traveling that makes it a pain when I want to charge my phone. I carry a 12v usb out for that purpose.
I've never had that issue. When I plug my phone, it automatically opens Android Auto, but it won't change the audio source. Only if I go into Spotify or something and press play, will it change the source. Also, if I am streaming from my phone but decide I want to go back to radio, I can just go back to audio source in Sync to change back. Just press the Home button on the steering wheel to take you back to Sync after AA starts up.

OP
OP

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Click "Settings" in lower right corner (if you have the 7" touch screen) then "Android Auto Preferences". You can deselect the connect auto or whatever....

OP
OP

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw

Okay. Still nothing here. I have T-Mobile so maybe it's them being low on the priority list.

SteamiestOyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Everyone should have the update by now. For me, I had to turn off developer options. Then "try new interface" or something like that showed up on the AA settings menu. Clearing the AA app cache also worked for some people

OP
OP

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Everyone should have the update by now. For me, I had to turn off developer options. Then "try new interface" or something like that showed up on the AA settings menu. Clearing the AA app cache also worked for some people
I have uninstalled and reinstalled and it's the same. I don't have the option for "try new android auto" or whatever. IDK what else to do???

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It's controlled server side, there's nothing you can do to force it

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
I fixed that by first using a cigarette lighter adapter to charge two phones in one of the 12V ports. Later I just installed one of those chargers that replaces the 12V port with two USB charging ports. I didn't use the 12V ports anyway. There was a thread about installing it.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I have uninstalled and reinstalled and it's the same. I don't have the option for "try new android auto" or whatever. IDK what else to do???
First, do not plug your phone into the truck.
Turn on Android Auto.
Go to the menu (looks like a hamburger) on the top left of your phone's screen.
Tap on settings.
There should be a toggle at the very top to try the new Android Auto.
Plug your phone into the truck and enjoy!
Sponsored