American Flag - Muted: Can anyone use?

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)
I have the same hearing issues but the tinnitus is above normal speech range for me, but my wife has figured out my selective hearing after 50 years (this year) ;)
so you had a good run!
Sponsored

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
Love the U.S.A..... Never had the privilege of serving but can't thank enough to those that have. Thank You!.. Here's my support for America and those that have fought for the flag and for what it stands for.

IMG_20210305_072941.jpg
That's a neat decal. Where did you get that, and does it interfere with the rear view mirror at all?

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I can't seem to shake the want to turn my flag facing forward on one of my stickers after reading this thread. I wasn't aware of the proper ways to display the flag when I applied it since I have no one in my family from military, I just like patriotism. In addition, wasn't aware that the black American flag was a muted one. Learn a lot from y'all. I love this place and thanks to all of those that served.

Last edited:

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
I can't seem to shake the want to turn my flag facing forward on one of my stickers after reading this thread. I wasn't aware of the proper ways to display the flag when I applied it since I have no one in my family from military, I just like patriotism. In addition, wasn't aware that the black American flag was a muted one. Learn a lot from y'all. I love this place and thanks to all of those that served.
Military affiliation is not a requirement to display or fly the colors nor is it a prerequisite for patriotism. This is how mine are displayed on my ranger:
IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1135.jpeg

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Military affiliation is not a requirement to display or fly the colors nor is it a prerequisite for patriotism. This is how mine are displayed on my ranger:
IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1135.jpeg
The star field is supposed to be to the left (usually viewers left)

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
My flag pet peeves that wouldn’t apply to stickers: 1) don’t fly it at night without illumination. 2) don’t fly it in the rain. 3) if it is tattered or faded, don’t fly it and dispose of it in a way that is congruent with US flag code. I may be left leaning but I love my country, too. :)

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
The star field is supposed to be to the left (usually viewers left)
When hung horizontally on a wall, yes, the flag should be displayed with the field to the viewers left. When on a vehicle, it should be placed so that the field is towards the front of the vehicle as if it were in motion...it may appear "backwards" to most, but this is the correct way to display it. Just like the way the Army has it on their uniforms, it is on the wearers right arm and the field faces forward, as if it were being flown. Now, if it were vertically (field at the top) hung across a street, the field should be to the north or east, regardless of how it looks. On a pole on a stage, placed to the viewers (audience) left of center. At half-staff, it should be hoisted "briskly" to the top, the slowly lowered to half staff.

This information was just a drop in the bucket of the things we were tested on for promotion in the USAF. I studied and memorized this stuff for 22+ yrs.

Mcssls

If you’re prior military you should look at the flag code. First section. Grey and black flag?

§1. Flag; stripes and stars on

The flag of the United States shall be thirteen horizontal stripes, alternate red and white; and the union of the flag shall be fifty stars representing the fifty states, white in a blue field

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re prior military you should look at the flag code. First section. Grey and black flag?

§1. Flag; stripes and stars on

The flag of the United States shall be thirteen horizontal stripes, alternate red and white; and the union of the flag shall be fifty stars representing the fifty states, white in a blue field
The military also wear "subdued" flags on ACU's, OCP's, etc.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have anything to support what I am going to say, except friends who served. DISCLAIMER: I did not serve. When a motorcycle group I was part of wanted to add flags to the vests, a majority wanted the black and gray American flag. I thought it was disrespectful to use colors other than standard (red, white, and blue). I asked a bunch of my military friends if they would be offended by a non-standard color flag patch. The consensus was a resounding 'no'. Flags themselves have rules. Items that look like flags (patches, stickers, swim suits, etc) have significantly less rules. That being said, your flag should always be flying like it's in the wind. If the wind comes from the front of your vehicle, the stars should be towards the front.

Example of differences in rules: if my wife is wearing a bikini made to look like a flag and she takes it off and lays it on the floor of my house (hey... a guy can dream, right?), I wouldn't burn it. If a flag touches the ground, I would absolutely (respectfully and by correct process) burn it.

Does your neighbor find the 'thin blue line', 'thin red line', thin green line', 'thin yellow line' offensive? They are not standard colors, but show respect to the people who serve.

Something that looks like a flag is not a flag. The example has been made in other posts, but the right arm of a uniform has the flag flying 'backwards' because that's the correct way to fly it.

Viator092

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BMW 440i, 15 VW Golf TDI, 19 Ford Ranger Lariat
I used to be a fundamentalist when it came to the flag. Slight etiquette infractions would put me over the edge. Yeah, seeing those burning the flag would piss me off but I know there are very few places in this world where one can do that in protest and not end up on a metal bed frame with their nut sac connected to a car battery. Nations flags are a powerful symbol to its citizens. Peaceful protests are a powerful message to a nations government. Whether I agree or disagree with the protest is irrelevant. My neighbor has the right to "freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

But.....if you do fly a flag please keep it in a good condition. Seeing a tattered flag is the one thing that puts me over edge now a'days. I've been known to stop in or call a shop that has a tattered flag to let them know their flag is in disrepair. Even dropped off a flag of my own to replace it. When it's time to retire a mature flag fold it up per the prescribed method (https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/celebrate/flagfold.pdf). I take that time to reflect on the first flag born of the Revolution, lost friends, family and neighbors, the countless men and women who gave up their life for this country and the hope that their sacrifice will not have been in vain. I then drop the flag off at Lowes to be disposed of properly.

Short story: While deployed to SW Asia back n 90-91 our civil engineers raised two flag poles in the middle of the camp. We flew the American Flag and the flag of the host nation. Some General or State Department weanie decided the host nation would be butt hurt having the American flag fly over their country. Never mind the fact we were there to protect THEIR country. Couldn't even have the flag in the window of your hooch. (Funny, the flag of Texas flew high above one hooch...no problem). So, down came the American flag at the end of one day in full honors. But, somehow, it felt like a retreat. The next morning we woke up to a tiny American flag (the kind everyone waves during a fourth of July parade) briskly waving in the wind. Someone had run it up the flag pole in defiance under the eyes of the AF Security Police.

tempImagegjxLmV.png

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I started this thread on March 12, 2020. FINALLY today I have my flags mounted.

Drive through washed. Clay bar'd the area where it goes. Wiped with alcohol.
Measured and applied.

Got the stickers from Amazon from a shop called AZ Auto Graphics which is ironically just 20 miles from me. UPS tried to deliver them to Rockford Illinois, and then they finally got to me.

I'll go with AZ Auto Graphics straight next time.
https://azautographics.com/

IMG_2311.JPG
Sponsored