Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Serious question here since I'm not a cyclist. If I ever feel the need to get on a bike it damn well is going to have a motor :) If my vehicles all have to have properly operating brake , running & signal lights, plus a registered visible license plate to use the roads then why do bicycles not have the same ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Serious question here since I'm not a cyclist. If I ever feel the need to get on a bike it damn well is going to have a motor :) If my vehicles all have to have properly operating brake , running & signal lights, plus a registered visible license plate to use the roads then why do bicycles not have the same ?
Don't get me started on all the rental electric kick scooters around Charlottesville. They are lucky to have a light on the back and anybody can scan a QR and rent them. They run in and out of traffic like crazy!

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
"Motorist hate bikers and bikers hate motorists, but everyone hates cyclists."
This from a brother of an avid cyclist :p
This is why I ride on trails in the woods

Not trying to be the least protected individual in that social clusterfuck 😂

Frost

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
I don't know, seems everything worked out alright. OP was doing a good job of driving in poor conditions, was aware enough to see the cyclist, had time to slow up and let him cross. We all have had other drivers do much worse than this, I know I've had to slam the brakes more than a few times for jerks doing unsafe lane changes in cars. Biker was a bit careless but driver was ready, as he should have been.

At 70, I still cycle quite a bit maybe 2500 miles yearly. Where I live (Adirondacks), I don't have to worry about traffic and don't ride at night. Were I that cyclist I'd have ridden to the intersection and stopped before crossing with the light, but I can't turn my head to look back anymore and don't trust my mirror. I can't blame a younger person for taking a few more chances. If biker was out exercising at night in that weather he was being stupid, but someone commuting on a bike has as much right to the road as anyone. I'm a cautious bike rider and have had some close calls all due to poor drivers coming too close or turning in front of me or something, so it goes both ways. Share the road, be cautious, be ready for others to do the unplanned whether you're biking or driving. Kudo's to the driver.

Now don't get me started on those groups of cyclists that ride 3-4 wide and hog the road, I hate those guys.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
There are a lot of great paved trails in my area and I ride my e-bike a lot and also walk those same trails daily to weekly. I have been around all types of walkers and bikers. Most of the bikers who fly by me while I am walking don't even use there bell (if they even have one) or say ON YOUR LEFT to warn me they are passing. They scare the **** out of me half the time since there was no bell or vocally saying they are passing. VERY RUDE if you ask me. Now when cycling on the road I do value my life (I am a motorcycle rider for 50+ years) and want to live to ride another day so I do use my bell or horn as much as possible and also yell on your left so they can move over and let me by. Being a Ranger driver I too see all the time bicycle riders running red lights, no signaling they are turning, whipping in and out of traffic in town. I believe those types of bicycle riders were never taught any type of courtesy or rules when riding when they were younger. Mom and Dad probably said watch out for cars and that was it. There should be classes to keep your bicycling skills up to snuff. Interesting thread this one is.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
There are a lot of great paved trails in my area and I ride my e-bike a lot and also walk those same trails daily to weekly. I have been around all types of walkers and bikers. Most of the bikers who fly by me while I am walking don't even use there bell (if they even have one) or say ON YOUR LEFT to warn me they are passing. They scare the **** out of me half the time since there was no bell or vocally saying they are passing. VERY RUDE if you ask me. Now when cycling on the road I do value my life (I am a motorcycle rider for 50+ years) and want to live to ride another day so I do use my bell or horn as much as possible and also yell on your left so they can move over and let me by. Being a Ranger driver I too see all the time bicycle riders running red lights, no signaling they are turning, whipping in and out of traffic in town. I believe those types of bicycle riders were never taught any type of courtesy or rules when riding when they were younger. Mom and Dad probably said watch out for cars and that was it. There should be classes to keep your bicycling skills up to snuff. Interesting thread this one is.
I've been a bicycle rider for >50 yrs, when I was much younger (20s) and possibly stupider than I am today I biked to a friends house and drank 1,2, or 3 margaritas too many, got on the bike to ride home, the friends house was at the top of a long mildly inclined hill with a traffic light at the bottom, I had good speed nearing the intersection when the light turned so decided to barrel thru it, however unbeknownst to me the opposing traffic had a left turn green arrow, I had to swerve right to avoid crashing into a turning car, but had too much speed to I went kind of parallel to the car and hit the front fender, I flew off the bike and rolled up and over the hood then landed on the pavement, momentarily stunned but ok, I expected the driver of the vehicle to go ballistic on me ( I deserved it) but instead they got out asking if I was ok and profusely apologizing for hitting me. Except for the front wheel not being straight the bike was rideable so I got on and got the hell out of there, I think even bike riders on public roads can be cited for DUI. Today I mostly stick to bike paths, the roadways are a bit dangerous and arthritis limits my ability to turn my head much.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I've been a bicycle rider for >50 yrs, when I was much younger (20s) and possibly stupider than I am today I biked to a friends house and drank 1,2, or 3 margaritas too many, got on the bike to ride home, the friends house was at the top of a long mildly inclined hill with a traffic light at the bottom, I had good speed nearing the intersection when the light turned so decided to barrel thru it, however unbeknownst to me the opposing traffic had a left turn green arrow, I had to swerve right to avoid crashing into a turning car, but had too much speed to I went kind of parallel to the car and hit the front fender, I flew off the bike and rolled up and over the hood then landed on the pavement, momentarily stunned but ok, I expected the driver of the vehicle to go ballistic on me ( I deserved it) but instead they got out asking if I was ok and profusely apologizing for hitting me. Except for the front wheel not being straight the bike was rideable so I got on and got the hell out of there, I think even bike riders on public roads can be cited for DUI. Today I mostly stick to bike paths, the roadways are a bit dangerous and arthritis limits my ability to turn my head much.
Funny you should say that, in early 80's, not much traffic at all, and a friend was roller blading home from a bar, using all lanes. Yep, busted...
not a DUI, not sure there was any laws like that, but some other charge.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Wow, there's a lot of hatred being spouted in this chat. The person on the bike screwed up. I don't understand why anyone here would think his life is worthless just because he's on a bike. If a person on a bike causes and accident, yep, they're going to be the one hurt the most or dead. Why are so many folks here finding that funny? I mean, think about what you're saying.

Now, ignoring his dangerous maneuver of abruptly moving in front of a truck, these types of posts always bring out folks claiming that people on bikes think they have a right to the entire lane or that they should move when you blow your horn. That's rarely true, folks. In fact, some of you may be in the wrong.

I know, I'm about to get flamed for this, but there's a lot of ugly nonsense being spouted in this thread. Some of it out of ignorance of traffic laws. Some of it for a strange hatred for cyclists. 🤷 Nope, I don't think it was a good move for the cyclist to do that. I also don't think it would have been good to do that if he had been in a F350.
All of that simply does not change the physics. 200 lbs vs 5000 lbs, poor visibility, slower stopping speeds, etc., all demand prudence on the part of the cyclist.

I rather be alive than be right and dead, or maimed.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
OP was doing a good job of driving in poor conditions, was aware enough to see the cyclist, had time to slow up and let him cross.
Now don't get me started on those groups of cyclists that ride 3-4 wide and hog the road, I hate those guys.
Thanks, and yes, the group riders tend to think they can take up the whole road and f*** the vehicles trying to get by.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
When I was a teen driver, I was stopped at a light, and when it turned green I hit the gas when all of a sudden a kid on a bike flew out in front of me from the right, and I hit him pretty solidly with the front of my car (a '68 Impala, so didn't even scratch the solid, chrome bumper). He got up pretty shaken and bleeding but swore he was ok and walked off. I drove straight to the police station to report it, just in case.

Gdub

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I am an avid cyclist and motorist. On my bicycle, I have been hit, many close calls and purposely driven of the road by a concrete mixing truck. Fortunately, I was on a road without a curb with the incident with the truck and was able to go off without crashing. I am sure you would not want to listen to what I had to say to him with def ear.

At 76, I try to stay off of roads now with motorized vehicles. Sometimes, it can't be avoided though. I rode with no fear when I was younger but I did follow the rules of the road for vehicles. I am a lot more careful now that I am older and slower to heal.

Everybody is capable of making mistakes. We just need to be careful and watch out for others no matter what they are riding or driving. The OP was doing the right thing whether the cyclist was at fault or not. I understand how scary it can be when accidents get that close, but much scarier when it becomes an accident.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Don't get me started on all the rental electric kick scooters around Charlottesville. They are lucky to have a light on the back and anybody can scan a QR and rent them. They run in and out of traffic like crazy!
If you think thats bad try driving in DC where there are squadrons of unlicensed /unregistered under 50cc mopeds reeking havoc at every intersection. It seems most have an impending death wish.Its nuts!
Sponsored