Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I have no need for any more power in my ranger, but increasing the fuel economy would be nice, if nothing else just to get a bit more range out of the relatively small gas tank.

Has anyone with an aftermarket tune noticed a significant difference in mpg? if so what octane fuel are you using?

are there any tunes yet specifically designed around fuel economy?
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
As of the end most current tank, with much less heavy footed playing around with the new tune my mileage went form a tank average of 19.8 on 93 Octane with the stock tune to 26.2 with the 5 Star 93 octane tune (up from 24.6 when I first flashed it and played around with it a fair bit). These numbers are based on the total miles driven and gallons used per tank.

The truck's reported mileage went from 16 city/22 hwy on stock to 19.8 city/27.4 hwy on the 93 tune. These all included a good mix of city and hwy driving with speeds averaging 75 mph on the fwy.

Overall I am very impressed with the increase in mpg the 93 tune has produced, and I just re-flashed it to the 5 Star Tuning 87 Daily/Tow profile with a full tank of 87 octane fuel and am curious how the mileage will change running it over the 93 tune. For sustained daily driving and not towing anything the 87 Tune will be more than plenty but I'll re-flash to 93 when I will be towing to make sure I have plenty of power on tap.

OP
OP
RoadBoss

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
As of the end most current tank, with much less heavy footed playing around with the new tune my mileage went form a tank average of 19.8 on 93 Octane with the stock tune to 26.2 with the 5 Star 93 octane tune (up from 24.6 when I first flashed it and played around with it a fair bit). These numbers are based on the total miles driven and gallons used per tank.

The truck's reported mileage went from 16 city/22 hwy on stock to 19.8 city/27.4 hwy on the 93 tune. These all included a good mix of city and hwy driving with speeds averaging 75 mph on the fwy.

Overall I am very impressed with the increase in mpg the 93 tune has produced, and I just re-flashed it to the 5 Star Tuning 87 Daily/Tow profile with a full tank of 87 octane fuel and am curious how the mileage will change running it over the 93 tune. For sustained daily driving and not towing anything the 87 Tune will be more than plenty but I'll re-flash to 93 when I will be towing to make sure I have plenty of power on tap.
great info! thanks

I'll be very curious to see what changes the daily/tow profile makes for you.

JB's Garage

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 1989 Dodge Ram 1st Gen
Occupation
Engineer
Pre-Livernois tune running 93 Octane
21 July = 17.6 MPG (Hand Calculated, not computer)
29 July = 18.1 MPG (Hand Calculated)
Post-Livernois 93 Octane tune, all hand calculated
7 Aug = 19.48 MPG
13 Aug = 19.6 MPG
16 Aug = 19.2 MPG

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
A lot of it will depend on your foot.... Something to remember as plenty of us tend to forget some how.... Oops.... Lol.

Before doing anything on my truck I was averaging roughly 22 MPG and that was going from Leadville to Silverthorne 4 days a week. Next I put on the Old Man EMU lift with the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3's(yes important info here). After that I was averaging 21.5(not bad of a loss if you ask me). I ended up with the Livernois tune(high octane performance first then got the tow tune a few weeks later). With the performance tune I want to say I was close to 23.5-24. If memory serves me right the tow tune did about the same. Now im not in that area and get closer to 27 average. Thankfully I attempt(and usually fail miserably) to keep a good foot and cruise but it isnt easy when you have a bunch of tourists or detour traffic....... The tow tune is what I run since I do tow here and there and it helps with low end power more which is what we want for normal street, towing, hills, and offroad.

Hopefully this information helps.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase

Which tune and model are you running Sir?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I had hoped to boost my gas mileage with a tune, but may have defeated my own efforts by installing the bigger diameter exhaust and then getting the custom tune.

I doubt the GFB DV+ has any impact on MPG, and while in theory maybe the catch can does? Like the expectation on the exhaust it may be imperceptible. I haven't needed to change the air filter and I'm not willing to sacrifice engine longevity to install a free flow one. Synthetic oils seem to be a universal part of what anyone looking for extending the life, improving performance and efficiency of automobiles.

Two 500+ mile road trips before and after the mods have me at approximately the same highway mileage, but mixed driving has me down a hair. I have to be mindful of that gas pedal.

The only mechanical variables at this point would be tires and aerodynamics. I contemplated a tonneau cover but the benefits are muddled, and everything needs to have financial validation. I don't know if there are aftermarket air dams for our trucks, and my plans to bring the truck more level I'm afraid won't improve things.

Premium fuel absolutely returns the best MPGs in our turbo'd trucks... and the most power potential. With great power comes great.... uh...

I'm pretty much resigned to what I have. I acknowledge it's me that is the greatest influence on MPGs. Ford lured me to the Ranger on gas mileage claims (among other things) and over time I'm seeing the realities.

JB's Garage

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 1989 Dodge Ram 1st Gen
Occupation
Engineer
I had hoped to boost my gas mileage with a tune, but may have defeated my own efforts by installing the bigger diameter exhaust and then getting the custom tune.

I doubt the GFB DV+ has any impact on MPG, and while in theory maybe the catch can does? Like the expectation on the exhaust it may be imperceptible. I haven't needed to change the air filter and I'm not willing to sacrifice engine longevity to install a free flow one. Synthetic oils seem to be a universal part of what anyone looking for extending the life, improving performance and efficiency of automobiles.

Two 500+ mile road trips before and after the mods have me at approximately the same highway mileage, but mixed driving has me down a hair. I have to be mindful of that gas pedal.

The only mechanical variables at this point would be tires and aerodynamics. I contemplated a tonneau cover but the benefits are muddled, and everything needs to have financial validation. I don't know if there are aftermarket air dams for our trucks, and my plans to bring the truck more level I'm afraid won't improve things.

Premium fuel absolutely returns the best MPGs in our turbo'd trucks... and the most power potential. With great power comes great.... uh...

I'm pretty much resigned to what I have. I acknowledge it's me that is the greatest influence on MPGs. Ford lured me to the Ranger on gas mileage claims (among other things) and over time I'm seeing the realities.

I agree with your premium fuel assessment. Running 87, no tune, and 33" tires my MPG was mid-16s on my daily 50 mile commute. I laughed it off, but in reality I was really disappointed my 89 Ram got better MPG.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
In my experience I have never seen the mpg increase on any gasser after tuning. Diesel yes, gas stays the same.

Results may vary though.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I think this all depends on driving style and how heavy your right foot in...tune or no tune. I'm tuned by Gearhead Tuning and just this week I drove about 120 miles on the highway, cruise set at 70mph and was getting 27mpg. I don't have a heavy foot but I like the extra power when I want it!

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.saddlebrookcontrols.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
Automation Applications Engineer

Same results for me with the 93 octane daily/tow tune from 5 Star. My first trip (110 miles) with the tune installed I got 26.8 mpg - about 90% highway. I never got better than 21 before that on similar trips.

I'm amazed really, I never expected that based on previous experiences and all I know about tuning. The power increase is significant.....it's a whole different truck, the extra TQ makes it a blast to drive.

I know one new Dodge Ram hemi owner that has some very hurt feelings for not showing my little Ranger any respect. ?

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
I have no need for any more power in my ranger, but increasing the fuel economy would be nice, if nothing else just to get a bit more range out of the relatively small gas tank.

Has anyone with an aftermarket tune noticed a significant difference in mpg? if so what octane fuel are you using?

are there any tunes yet specifically designed around fuel economy?
I found better fuel economy with both the Roush CAI and the Ford Performance (Borla) exhaust. Same route, same temp & weather conditions as the stock run and the MPG’s jumped to 30 mpg’s. Added the Ford Performance Tune after that and MPG’s went down a bit though power increased dramatically, as did the shift schedule.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
From my experience, a tune only changes the algorithm for fuel economy, it does nothing for real fuel economy.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
From my experience, a tune only changes the algorithm for fuel economy, it does nothing for real fuel economy.
Ummm..... Perhaps you haven't had a good chance to mess with a ranger before and after tuning. With me keeping a lighting foot I was able to gain an average of 2 MPG and that was going to and from work and that included a 2-3 mile 7% grade I had to go up going home.
Sponsored