Acceleration issue

wdeydwondrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SCrew FX4
So this is a 2 part issue that I don't know if it's an issue or just normal since I couldn't really find anything in the forum. I did get this used with about 20k miles so I don't have a clue if they did anything with it or not.

First part is the gas pedal is ridiculously sensitive, I barely touch it to maintain speed and usually I'm adjusting foot on / foot off completely to hold speed.

Second part is the "larger" issue that I've just lived with, but in gears 3, 4 & 5 I just a delay or hiccup in RPM as I accelerate. Roughly in the 2,500 - 3,000 rpm range i'll get a drop in rpm of about 100-200 as I'm accelerating before it picks back up and carries on. Repeatable in both normal acceleration and 100% throttle. If I'm going real easy and don't hit 2,500 rpm then I don't experience this hesitation.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Sounds like you are tuned or have a pedal commander. Pedal should not be that sensitive. The hesitation could be 100 things. Check your spark plugs, could signal coil failure or weak coil. New air filter couldn't hurt either. I can get mine noticably clogged in on day off the pavement. Mpg and throttle response suffers but not greatly. Your could be really bad. Also post pictures of your engine bay. Maybe we could spot mods.

OP
OP

wdeydwondrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SCrew FX4
Sounds like you are tuned or have a pedal commander. Pedal should not be that sensitive. The hesitation could be 100 things. Check your spark plugs, could signal coil failure or weak coil. New air filter couldn't hurt either. I can get mine noticably clogged in on day off the pavement. Mpg and throttle response suffers but not greatly. Your could be really bad. Also post pictures of your engine bay. Maybe we could spot mods.
I'll see about pics tomorrow. I did just change the air filter today, oil tomorrow, since I'm hitting 40k.

OP
OP

wdeydwondrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SCrew FX4
Here's a picture of the engine. Not sure what to check on a spark plug? Air Filter& oil just done. Would it be worth putting premium gas in our does that not matter?

PXL_20221025_200345556.jpg

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
You can run 87 but you will get more power with higher octanes.

Check and see if there is a peddle commander or something similar installed. I believe it plugs into the peddle assembly itself

OP
OP

wdeydwondrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SCrew FX4
You can run 87 but you will get more power with higher octanes.

Check and see if there is a peddle commander or something similar installed. I believe it plugs into the peddle assembly itself
Went out and looked, does not appear to be. From the plug in the pedal there's about 6" of wiring then it's disappeared into behind the center console

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Second part is the "larger" issue that I've just lived with, but in gears 3, 4 & 5 I just a delay or hiccup in RPM as I accelerate. Roughly in the 2,500 - 3,000 rpm range i'll get a drop in rpm of about 100-200 as I'm accelerating before it picks back up and carries on. Repeatable in both normal acceleration and 100% throttle. If I'm going real easy and don't hit 2,500 rpm then I don't experience this hesitation.

Thoughts?
Does this occur just once? Or once per gear. It sounds like you're describing the torque converter locking up, which usually happens in 3rd or thereabouts depending on how hard you are accelerating. But that is only going to be one 'bump' since once it locks up it stays that way pretty much all of the time.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Here's a picture of the engine. Not sure what to check on a spark plug? Air Filter& oil just done. Would it be worth putting premium gas in our does that not matter?

PXL_20221025_200345556.jpg
Looks pretty normal under there. Could still have a tune loaded on it.

OP
OP

wdeydwondrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SCrew FX4
Does this occur just once? Or once per gear. It sounds like you're describing the torque converter locking up, which usually happens in 3rd or thereabouts depending on how hard you are accelerating. But that is only going to be one 'bump' since once it locks up it stays that way pretty much all of the time.
It'll happen every time I accelerate into the 3k range. If I'm going really gentle and keep it at 2k or under then this doesn't happen. Also only gears 3-5. I'll have to pay attention if it only does it a single time per acceleration though.

It's mainly just an annoyance right now unless I'm damaging something.

BRad704

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Senior Product Leader
First part is the gas pedal is ridiculously sensitive, I barely touch it to maintain speed and usually I'm adjusting foot on / foot off completely to hold speed.
Could this just be based on how easily the Ranger's "roll" on the road? I've noticed a drastic difference between my '21 Ranger and my wife's Honda Pilot. With no accelerator input, the Ranger just seems to keep rolling with zero road resistance. Where the Pilot is automatically slowing down as soon as your foot is off the gas.

OP
OP

wdeydwondrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SCrew FX4
Could this just be based on how easily the Ranger's "roll" on the road? I've noticed a drastic difference between my '21 Ranger and my wife's Honda Pilot. With no accelerator input, the Ranger just seems to keep rolling with zero road resistance. Where the Pilot is automatically slowing down as soon as your foot is off the gas.
I mean maybe, feels a bit excessive to me. I know it did reduce slightly when I put the slightly larger tires on just the other day.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Try to drive another one and compare.

Deleted member 15875

Funny you say this. I marvel frequently at how well my Ranger rolls down the street. It feels like there zero resistance. It's very noticable from my perspective. Not sure how they pulled it off, but not complaining. I'm running stock 18's OEM wheels at this time.

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
I have the same issue on my '22 and was told by the dealership "they all have a sensitive throttle". This truck has the most touchy, binary throttle feel of any vehicle I've ever driven, and I'm told this is 100% normal. Some say they have never had this issue - do you typically drive all Fords or have other vehicles to compare to?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same issue on my '22 and was told by the dealership "they all have a sensitive throttle". This truck has the most touchy, binary throttle feel of any vehicle I've ever driven, and I'm told this is 100% normal. Some say they have never had this issue - do you typically drive all Fords or have other vehicles to compare to?
I do not have this touchy throttle issue. My other vehicles have been non-Fords. The gas pedals behave similarly across the different brands I have owned, including my current Ranger and two Subarus.
Sponsored