FlowMaster FX Series cat-back drive by and acceleration! Small review.

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase

Every vehicle I have owned has had some form of exhaust. From my 94' K1500 with the sbc, 2010 Ranger, all the way to my 250 Recon that had an exhaust right up until I sold her.

I knew that FlowMaster always had the signature sound for the longest time. You could tell a Flowmaster apart from just about everything else on the road. It's not the best sounding, that's for sure, but there is a known tone that they make. The 2.3 will NEVER sound like a V8, nor should it. It will always sound like a 4-cylinder engine. Now, with that in mind this truck does have a nice and throaty growl to it. The FlowMaster FX Series for this truck costed me a whopping $400, but installation was incredibly simple. From the cat back it is a 3" pipe, bends were easy and the welds were perfect. Since it rains where I live constantly, I can't really get great footage of the exhaust, but seeing as there is only two posts of it on YouTube, I figured I had to grab attention. I personally like the sound of it, and through a tunnel it definitely turns some heads. Cold start idle is ridiculously loud - much louder than my 2.25" straight piped 4.0 SOHC (with cats of course) but the 2.3 absolutely roars on a cold start. Warm start not so much, idle definitely does not sound like a small V8. The 4.0 SOHC at idle does sound like a small V8. However, the tone that this FX series produces is fantastic. I get not a single bit of highway drone until you get up in speed. In the cab with the windows up the exhaust is there, but not insane. With the windows down she is very aggressive.

The perks of this kit is that if you want louder, just clamp a 20" pipe in where the muffler goes. Of course you'll lose the tone that this FX Series has, but you can also put an outlaw in there as well.

Again, installation was super easy! Exhaust sounds awesome and I am satisfied. :) I will most certainly post tunnel clips when this weather eases off.

It does have a much louder note than the MBRP. In fact, under acceleration it's loud enough to be heard across my street (in the video that block was 0.4 miles away)

The 4.5" tip does look fantastic, and DOES make a difference in the deepness, but only at idle for some reason. Like yelling into a bowl.

It sounds freaking awesome!

This was not a paid promotion. My wallet still hurts after buying this thing.
Sponsored

Grey Razor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Sport • 2015 Audi S3 • 2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR • 2005 Lancer Evolution VIII MR
Occupation
Learning Technology Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice write up; glad you’re enjoying the new exhaust! Congrats!

Grey Razor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Sport • 2015 Audi S3 • 2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR • 2005 Lancer Evolution VIII MR
Occupation
Learning Technology Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! Did you like the sound?
Very much, the truck sounds great! This gives you a solid idea of what it sounds like, especially for those concerned about the db levels in a quiet neighborhood. Nice work!

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase

Every vehicle I have owned has had some form of exhaust. From my 94' K1500 with the sbc, 2010 Ranger, all the way to my 250 Recon that had an exhaust right up until I sold her.

I knew that FlowMaster always had the signature sound for the longest time. You could tell a Flowmaster apart from just about everything else on the road. It's not the best sounding, that's for sure, but there is a known tone that they make. The 2.3 will NEVER sound like a V8, nor should it. It will always sound like a 4-cylinder engine. Now, with that in mind this truck does have a nice and throaty growl to it. The FlowMaster FX Series for this truck costed me a whopping $400, but installation was incredibly simple. From the cat back it is a 3" pipe, bends were easy and the welds were perfect. Since it rains where I live constantly, I can't really get great footage of the exhaust, but seeing as there is only two posts of it on YouTube, I figured I had to grab attention. I personally like the sound of it, and through a tunnel it definitely turns some heads. Cold start idle is ridiculously loud - much louder than my 2.25" straight piped 4.0 SOHC (with cats of course) but the 2.3 absolutely roars on a cold start. Warm start not so much, idle definitely does not sound like a small V8. The 4.0 SOHC at idle does sound like a small V8. However, the tone that this FX series produces is fantastic. I get not a single bit of highway drone until you get up in speed. In the cab with the windows up the exhaust is there, but not insane. With the windows down she is very aggressive.

The perks of this kit is that if you want louder, just clamp a 20" pipe in where the muffler goes. Of course you'll lose the tone that this FX Series has, but you can also put an outlaw in there as well.

Again, installation was super easy! Exhaust sounds awesome and I am satisfied. :) I will most certainly post tunnel clips when this weather eases off.

It does have a much louder note than the MBRP. In fact, under acceleration it's loud enough to be heard across my street (in the video that block was 0.4 miles away)

The 4.5" tip does look fantastic, and DOES make a difference in the deepness, but only at idle for some reason. Like yelling into a bowl.

It sounds freaking awesome!

This was not a paid promotion. My wallet still hurts after buying this thing.
I put this on my truck too, muffler delete. I wrapped it from end to end w/ fiberglass wrap, then painted it w/ hi temp brushon paint. I can put my had on the exhaust seconds after a hard run. REALLY carries the heat to the end. It is amazingly quiet inside and the cab stays cooler which is nice in AZ Summers. I have not ever had a chance to hear it from the outside. @ idle, inside the cab the sound reminds me of a well muffled diesel.
Sponsored