First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
im surprised a shop will recharge it for you without doing all the work.
i would have figured liability would have played a big part in that.
He's in TX and the majority of shops here will do the recharge work for you even if you do the work yourself. They just won't warranty it if the system leaks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jdmorrow

jdmorrow

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Supervisor Lockheed Martin
It should be covered under your auto insurance under collision but you would have to pay your deductible.
If I replace the parts myself and have it charged it’ll be about the same as my deductible and won’t hit my insurance. But if I can’t do it myself for some reason I may take that route.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Between your alternator and now condenser can it’s starting to look like having a good skid plate on these trucks is making more sense everyday. I heard a rock a few days ago ricochet a few times. Glad I got a plate on there otherwise you never know…

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
The vacuum pump, gauge set and refrigerant scale are the "hard" parts. The job itself should be pretty straight forward. (Harbour Freight, Amazon, etc are your friends if there in not a local loan-a-tool or rental)

R1234yf is easy to find, about 2x the cost of R134a.

May have to remove the radiator.

$1400 is highway robbery.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
If theres no freon in the system due to the hole can i just replace the condenser then take it somewhere to recharge?
Yeah. Thats a good solution. Be much cheaper as well!

OP
OP
jdmorrow

jdmorrow

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Between your alternator and now condenser can it’s starting to look like having a good skid plate on these trucks is making more sense everyday. I heard a rock a few days ago ricochet a few times. Glad I got a plate on there otherwise you never know…
The alternator wasn't me. This is the only issue I have had with my truck. What sucks is i took my hidden winch off last week and now this. So yes a skid plate will be going on now. lol

Polaris130

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
So its its easy to replace just a lot of work needed. It slides/clips into the radiator. Now heres the tricky part. You will need to remove the whole radiator in order to clip the condenser into it ( that would mean draining the coolant) But you can avoid that route by sliding off the belt and removing the fan clutch. First remove the fan shroud plastics there are 2 pieces one upper one lower. Then remove the belt. Then remove the fan clutch. Then unbolt the main radiator 2 bolts. Then remove the ac lines from the condenser. Then lift up the whole radiator about 3 inches and tilt it back. You will see access to the clips that are holding the condenser against the radiator slide it up while pushing the clips and its out. Put everything together and get it recharged at a shop. Its 1234yf. Or you dont touch the belt and the fan clutch. Drain the coolant undo the upper and lower radiator hoses and and slide the whole radiator up and do it that way.

OP
OP
jdmorrow

jdmorrow

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
So its its easy to replace just a lot of work needed. It slides/clips into the radiator. Now heres the tricky part. You will need to remove the whole radiator in order to clip the condenser into it ( that would mean draining the coolant) But you can avoid that route by sliding off the belt and removing the fan clutch. First remove the fan shroud plastics there are 2 pieces one upper one lower. Then remove the belt. Then remove the fan clutch. Then unbolt the main radiator 2 bolts. Then remove the ac lines from the condenser. Then lift up the whole radiator about 3 inches and tilt it back. You will see access to the clips that are holding the condenser against the radiator slide it up while pushing the clips and its out. Put everything together and get it recharged at a shop. Its 1234yf. Or you dont touch the belt and the fan clutch. Drain the coolant undo the upper and lower radiator hoses and and slide the whole radiator up and do it that way.
Thank you for that info. It will help a lot.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm the type that ends up spending a lot more on a "repair" like this because I'd think" well since I'm taking the radiator out now's a perfect time to get a larger intercooler while I'm in there"

OP
OP
jdmorrow

jdmorrow

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
I'm the type that ends up spending a lot more on a "repair" like this because I'd think" well since I'm taking the radiator out now's a perfect time to get a larger intercooler while I'm in there"
Crap that’s a good idea.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Bret (@Porpoise Hork ) and Mike (@Polaris130 ).

I have a question maybe you can help me with - I am upgrading the intercooler and radiator to Mishimoto's models on my 2019 crewcab xlt.

Since I am replacing the intercooler, is it possible after removing the intercooler and loosening the radiator, to unhook the condenser from the rad without removing the A/C lines and then reverse install the replacement parts (i.e. put in new rad, hook on condenser, finish mounting and then install intercooler)?

Thanks

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
From what Polaris130 stated, there may be enough room to do this but it really depends on how much clearance you have to work with once the radiator fan and shroud is out of the way. Only way to know for sure is to pull the fan and shroud and see.

Polaris130

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Hi Bret (@Porpoise Hork ) and Mike (@Polaris130 ).

I have a question maybe you can help me with - I am upgrading the intercooler and radiator to Mishimoto's models on my 2019 crewcab xlt.

Since I am replacing the intercooler, is it possible after removing the intercooler and loosening the radiator, to unhook the condenser from the rad without removing the A/C lines and then reverse install the replacement parts (i.e. put in new rad, hook on condenser, finish mounting and then install intercooler)?

Thanks
Yes its possible you can do it that way. And don't be afraid to bend the ac aluminum skinny limes as long as you dont kink them at a 90 degree you can move and form them to make more room

Reactions: FoD

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
From what Polaris130 stated, there may be enough room to do this but it really depends on how much clearance you have to work with once the radiator fan and shroud is out of the way. Only way to know for sure is to pull the fan and shroud and see.
Yes its possible you can do it that way. And don't be afraid to bend the ac aluminum skinny limes as long as you dont kink them at a 90 degree you can move and form them to make more room
Thanks, I'll post up on the results of this endeavor.:like:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mishimoto responded to the question this AM, their email to me:

"
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your email and for picking up our parts for your Ranger.

The AC condenser is bolted directly to the radiator, but they can be separated in the chassis without having to be removed completely. We recommend caution to prevent damage to either core, but once you've unbolted the radiator and condenser from each other, you should have enough room to slide the radiator out of the assembly and place the new radiator in without detaching the AC lines. Some customers may find it easier to pull the assembly out and unbolt the two from there once out of the truck, but since you're going to be installing the intercooler as well, you'll have the OEM intercooler out of the way and will have more room to detach the AC condenser and maneuver the radiators in and out as well.

If you have any other questions please let us know!

Thanks,

..."

So, lot of information between the three of you (@Porpoise Hork @Polaris130 @Mishimoto ), thanks again . :like:
Sponsored