A missed reservation and long charging times.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You aren’t supposed to question the overlords. Embrace the incredible transition.
Sadly that's what they want. I think the biggest problem is that most people don't look into these thing far enough. I get it most are busy with work and life and turn on the tv or read a quick article online and that's it for them. They "think" things will be great once everyone is driving an EV but fail to realize how far away from them being reasonable to own really is. Sure if you want a smaller EV for short commutes and just going around town to save gas from your ICE vehicle it's perfect right now. If you think we have problems now, just add millions more to the overloaded grid system we have now. :shock:
Sponsored

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
Actually the standard for railroad track and car width came from the spacing of Roman chariot wheels. From that point on because of ruts cut while making roads out of footpaths brought us to where were are today. Only ones on the planet that do not use this spacing now are the Russians,
while not quite wrong misses many aspects

https://www.trains.com/trn/railroads/history/a-history-of-track-gauge/

read the history of north American there is at least 3-4 built and then have to change over for standardization.
Yes the settled number was based on that wierd gauge but that is at most random and any with could have been chosen.

Ev chargers have a dozen different non standard varieties. your chevy bolt needs adapters to plug into a tesla station etc.

until that part is sorted and standardize expect lots of things like the Orginial article.
Oh and the USA hates standardizing things, that why it tookt he EU to force all phones and deivces to one charging standard

Deleted member 1634

Another thing to keep in mind that after a major grid overhaul someone (us!) will be paying for it. How much will all this cost us with all the upgrades and now all the electricity being used? Rates are already increasing now with the push to move away from fossil fuel so while this all sounds great on paper how will the average family afford A) the cost of a new EV and B) the electricity to drive them? There's going to be a heavy govt tax on these as they'll have to make up for the loss of the fuel taxes. Add that into the electricity cost and I think you're going to find most people/families won't be able to afford to drive anymore. ? Maybe this is their whole plan after all ?
But that needs to happen anyways. Whether we switch to EVs or not the grid is woefully overstressed and underprepared just with our daily lives. In some places more than others. Just look at Texas last year, and the rolling blackouts and forced reduced consumption every year. So if EVs finally force the US to invest in our own infrastructure, then good! I'd very much rather shell out my tax dollars for that then most of the other things they're put towards.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Another thing to keep in mind that after a major grid overhaul someone (us!) will be paying for it. How much will all this cost us with all the upgrades and now all the electricity being used? Rates are already increasing now with the push to move away from fossil fuel so while this all sounds great on paper how will the average family afford A) the cost of a new EV and B) the electricity to drive them? There's going to be a heavy govt tax on these as they'll have to make up for the loss of the fuel taxes. Add that into the electricity cost and I think you're going to find most people/families won't be able to afford to drive anymore. ? Maybe this is their whole plan after all ?
From Reuters :

Nov 10 (Reuters) - Global automakers are planning to spend more than half a trillion dollars on electric vehicles and batteries through 2030, according to a Reuters analysis, amping up investments aimed at weaning car buyers away from fossil fuels and meeting increasingly tough decarbonization targets.

Less than three years ago, a similar analysis by Reuters found car companies planned to spend $300 billion on EVs and related technologies. But looming zero-carbon mandates in cities such as London and Paris and countries from Norway to China have lent additional urgency to the industry’s EV-related investment commitments.

The most recent analysis shows carmakers planning to spend an estimated $515 billion over the next five to 10 years to develop and build new battery-powered vehicles and shift away from combustion engines.

If one thinks that lack of charging stations is going to halt that level of investment, think again. Electric utilities are also planning for this, they are businesses geared toward making money, and more and more governments globally are adopting stricter regs which ultimately will make ICE ownership more costly. The interstate highway system was gov subsided, petroleum exploration and development was gov subsided and making EV ownership practical for the masses will also be subsided. The momentum is growing and will follow the laws of physics. As some posters mention a PHEV represents a workable solution for current needs.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
Sadly that's what they want. I think the biggest problem is that most people don't look into these thing far enough. I get it most are busy with work and life and turn on the tv or read a quick article online and that's it for them. They "think" things will be great once everyone is driving an EV but fail to realize how far away from them being reasonable to own really is. Sure if you want a smaller EV for short commutes and just going around town to save gas from your ICE vehicle it's perfect right now. If you think we have problems now, just add millions more to the overloaded grid system we have now. :shock:
I would take the push toward EV more seriously if it were presented as a push to affordable hybrids first and then EV over 10-15 years.

I can’t help but notice the many recalls due to EV battery issues which leads me to believe we aren’t there yet with the technology’s safety and reliability.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2022/06/14/ford-mustang-mach-e-recall/7622485001/

No thanks. Perhaps in 8-10 years I’ll be interested in buying.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
My brother in law owns a Tesla Model Y. My wife's family recently had a big reunion to celebrate their parents 72nd wedding anniversary. My BIL and SIL drove their Tesla out from Wichita to St. George to attend the party. This was the second time they have done the trip, the first was when they first got the Tesla and was out to Las Vegas to also visit my wife's parents at their home.

The Tesla Supercharger network is probably the biggest single lead Tesla has over its competitors. My BIL said they averaged about 20 minutes every few hundred miles to recharge. They tried to time it so they were doing something other than just recharging at the same time. He said it kind of enforced a more leisurely approach to travel. :)

He said the software in the App that does trip planning takes most of the guess work and range anxiety away when on the road.

He also said the more you use the Superchargers the shorter the life span of the battery packs, so even Tesla's are not ideal if road tripping is your main use of the vehicle.

My personal opinion is how people use their vehicles will evolve as EV's are adopted, versus massive infrastructure and design approach changes that will address the elephant in the room, getting your EV recharged in a few minutes (like we do with ICE vehicles), versus hours when you are traveling from point A to Point B.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
One EMP and nobody with an EV is going anywhere.

It takes about 500,000 lbs of earth to be processed for the lithium and other metals that go into a single EV. Strip mining is not ethical.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I think the real wake up call is coming when the ones that are on the road now hit the end of useful life cycle. The value and getting rid of it will open many peoples eyes. You’re probably going to have to pay a disposal fee to boot. Not to mention the environmental carnage getting the materials to build them in mass amounts.

The other thing forcing people to own these things is in order for that to happen mass transit has to be prevalent throughout the country. Even in rural areas.

So push as they may ICE will be around for much longer than what the powers that be would like!
I hope they use them for Power Grid or home Battery storage systems. That's what one company did with older Nissan Leaf Battery packs

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I think the real wake up call is coming when the ones that are on the road now hit the end of useful life cycle. The value and getting rid of it will open many peoples eyes. You’re probably going to have to pay a disposal fee to boot. Not to mention the environmental carnage getting the materials to build them in mass amounts.

The other thing forcing people to own these things is in order for that to happen mass transit has to be prevalent throughout the country. Even in rural areas.

So push as they may ICE will be around for much longer than what the powers that be would like!
My prediction is that there will be a whole new business spring up of reclaiming/restoring/remanufacturing battery packs. I've seen comments that it has started but once more are at EOL, I think there will develop a whole industry around them. I think it will replace part of the ICE reman business.

It is for many of these reasons that I think a PHEV is the best solution in the interim - until battery capacity, charging, etc are all worked out. Once they have a battery pack that is capable of 1000 miles on a charge, pretty much all of the range anxiety is gone. We seem to always be "5 years" from that goal, however.....

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired

It takes about 500,000 lbs of earth to be processed for the lithium and other metals that go into a single EV. Strip mining is not ethical.
If there is an EMP, there won't only be one. :(

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
while not quite wrong misses many aspects

https://www.trains.com/trn/railroads/history/a-history-of-track-gauge/

read the history of north American there is at least 3-4 built and then have to change over for standardization.
Yes the settled number was based on that wierd gauge but that is at most random and any with could have been chosen.

Ev chargers have a dozen different non standard varieties. your chevy bolt needs adapters to plug into a tesla station etc.

until that part is sorted and standardize expect lots of things like the Orginial article.
Oh and the USA hates standardizing things, that why it tookt he EU to force all phones and deivces to one charging standard
There is really 2-3 different standard plugs... not 12

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
I would take the push toward EV more seriously if it were presented as a push to affordable hybrids first and then EV over 10-15 years.

I can’t help but notice the many recalls due to EV battery issues which leads me to believe we aren’t there yet with the technology’s safety and reliability.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2022/06/14/ford-mustang-mach-e-recall/7622485001/

It is exactly the opposite. Most Business models are to push the more expensive models in order to fund the purchase of the less expensive models, i.e. the Tesla model. There are a few that go against the grain, but they are for sure daily commute type vehicles (Nissan Leaf)

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
My prediction is that there will be a whole new business spring up of reclaiming/restoring/remanufacturing battery packs. I've seen comments that it has started but once more are at EOL, I think there will develop a whole industry around them. I think it will replace part of the ICE reman business.

It is for many of these reasons that I think a PHEV is the best solution in the interim - until battery capacity, charging, etc are all worked out. Once they have a battery pack that is capable of 1000 miles on a charge, pretty much all of the range anxiety is gone. We seem to always be "5 years" from that goal, however.....
JB Straubel, one of the earliest employees of Tesla, started a company called Redwood Materials to focus on Lithium Ion battery pack recycling. It has been a while since I read they were breaking ground on a new factory located near the Tesla Gigafactory in NV. I did read a short press release recently that they were expanding beyond just recycling and working to become a major player in raw battery materials supply.

This last bit caused me to wonder if the recycling part of their business might be proving to be a little more difficult than they first imagined, when they started Redwood Materials.

Edit, totally agree on your point of PHEV's. PHEV's do better at both needs (around town all electric and gasoline convenience when on longer trips) versus pure EV.

Deleted member 1634

EVs are good for urban commutes, not roadtrips.

I'd never subject myself to that charging hell and range anxiety, that is not fun.
ICE vehicles have a limited range too. It's not like running out of range is a purely EV problem.

There's plenty of recalls on ICE vehicles too. There have been a handful on our Rangers and yet you're still driving one of them.

EMP's would also take out every other single thing our society uses to function too. Your Ranger wouldn't work either if an EMP went off. That's a society problem, not an EV problem.

As far as mining, I don't disagree that strip mining is horrible, but we already do it to produce so many things that go into ICE vehicles. Iron mines are some of the biggest scars on the Earth.

My points here are that most of the excuses and reasons against EVs are not purely EV problems. Sure there are some specific EV issues, but most of the ones I hear are not EV specific.
Sponsored