8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Grumpy Old Ranger Guy, do you know if the Forward Collision Warning Assist and Automated Emergency Braking systems work using the Echo?

I just walked out of the dealer on Saturday, and I'm kind of pissed that I didn't look into this further before purchasing the Ranger. Love the truck, but one of my prime reasons for buying it was towing a travel trailer. I'm not thrilled to drop another $600 or so ($430 part price) just to do that.
The active safety features only work with the ford branded controller. It’s bullshit, but it is what it is...
Sponsored

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
I was just quoted $330 for the Ford TBC and a whopping $600 :crazy: for install (3hrs labor) in Petaluma (northern CA). I guess I'll have to call around or road trip to southern CA where people here have been quoting $180 or less for the install :facepalm:
I had the factory brake controller installed at my local Leer dealer for $150

Minky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Dealer call me today and kit came in. Talk them down a tad more. 260.72 I went ahead and installed. Was not to bad. A few things I noticed. Zip ties, alot not useable, used my own. The two heat shrink connectors, was not in box but listed as was supposed to be. Well, best as I can tell. The bolts that you will remove, will not be listed right. The new plugs that go inline with taillight. You will either have black or gray. Make sure you use matching color. There's two black or two grey that you will use. Very important because the direction are very useless. On this part atleast. The line you run to taillight, it will have a split on the end. 3 wires, each side. You will be putting the pin wires in the new clips. There are specific to each clip. Color code to match, in direction. Only bring this up because, one clip will have a white tab not pushed in. Do not push it in till you load all three wire and you must hear them all three click before white tab will slide and lock in. Lol listen closely, they will click. The square pins go in the one that has slide white clip out. Headliner, when you get to this part. Run your fingers along edge above liner. I would say about a foot and half from right corner to center. Just give it a tug and it will pop loose. Then go another foot or so left and pop other one. I did remove my clothes hanger tab but I don't believe it's necessary. So for the long post. Just wanted to try to help anyone I could..
I have a question about the split end on the wire back to the center light. Do you use just one of the new clips or both? The center light on my Ranger had the female portion so I installed the male end and they mated perfectly. I did not see a location for the other end of the split. The reason I am asking is because I did as mentioned above and now my center light does not work.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I have a question about the split end on the wire back to the center light. Do you use just one of the new clips or both? The center light on my Ranger had the female portion so I installed the male end and they mated perfectly. I did not see a location for the other end of the split. The reason I am asking is because I did as mentioned above and now my center light does not work.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/attachments/ranger-tbc-pdf.30747/

Step 27-32

Minky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Dealer finally installed my brake controller last week.
Tonight I mounted the dial myself... I liked the idea of mounting it in place of one of the 12v plugins.
It really looks great there.
thanks for the ideas from this forum!

51E97586-19AB-4C15-A9A4-1E0024D466EA.jpeg

Minky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I had the dealer install the Ford kit for me today. Happy with the result. They mounted it out of the way on the left side. May not be optimal but it looks like its probably where ford directed it to be installed?
IMG_20200618_185314.jpg

I have also attached the "Owners Manual" that came with it. A single sheet that, having never used a trailer brake before, was completely incomprehensible to me. Thankfully I had the internet as a resource to figure out what the hell I was seeing here.
IMG_20200618_184507.jpg

Not sure if they forgot to actually put in the owners manual and this is just part of it but I confirmed with the dealership that this is all that it came with.

Edit: Price Confirmed: $330 (~390 with taxes) and $180 for the install. Southern California.
I had the dealer install the Ford kit for me today. Happy with the result. They mounted it out of the way on the left side. May not be optimal but it looks like its probably where ford directed it to be installed?
IMG_20200618_185314.jpg

I have also attached the "Owners Manual" that came with it. A single sheet that, having never used a trailer brake before, was completely incomprehensible to me. Thankfully I had the internet as a resource to figure out what the hell I was seeing here.
IMG_20200618_184507.jpg

Not sure if they forgot to actually put in the owners manual and this is just part of it but I confirmed with the dealership that this is all that it came with.

Edit: Price Confirmed: $330 (~390 with taxes) and $180 for the install. Southern California.
I have spent a lot of time checking out the different TBC's and finally settled on the Ford "OEM" (Redarc) package. I will attempt to tell you about my experience - which was good - and also tell you a little about the product - which is also good/great. First of all Ford should be ashamed for allowing this documentation out the door. I have included a copy of one page and have highlighted where in one instance they refer to a Butt connection and the next time it is a Nutt connection. As you can see you are to heat up the "Jeacket" with the heat "fun" for the entire "Lenfth. As for the Redarc controller, it could be because it is Version 3 or because it is made for Ford, but all I have seen on this thread is that the cable from the controller to the knob is a RJ-45 network type cable. On this version it is a specific pinned out connector.
The instructions are fairly cryptic for the most part but if you spend time looking at them prior to installation you will find they make sense - until you get to the connections for the CHMSL. They pretty much stop giving directions at that point. In order for me to get to those connections I had to remove the headliner flip up hand hold and then pull down the headliner. Once those were down (take it slow and pull down with some effort and everything will pop out) accessing the connections was fairly easy. The entire process took about 5 hours - with grandchildren interruptions. I then decided to take a different approach to mounting the control knob. Rather than purchasing a new bezel for one of the two 12V outlets I just modified the 12V outlet and used it (see attached Photo). Now it looks, to me, like it was not an after thought.

20200814_131524 (1).jpg

Attachments

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Your brake controller probably doesn't work either. I have the Redarc controller but not the CHMSL tie in. Needed a brake controller and couldn't wait for Ford to get their act together. My understanding is you need to use both connectors on the ends of the wye. Grey or black depending on your truck. You unplug the light from the existing wire and plug one side of the wye into the light and the otherside of the wye into the existing wire that was plugged into the light. You need to complete the circuit for every thing to work. You must have the existing wire loose in there.

Wish I could just buy the added module, so I could have the Automatic Emergency Braking function on the trailer. Not going to pay for a whole new controller setup just for that, I don't have Adaptive Cruise Control, shouldn't use that towing anyway.

Minky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Your brake controller probably doesn't work either. I have the Redarc controller but not the CMHSL tie in. Needed a brake controller and couldn't wait for Ford to get their act together. My understanding is you need to use both connectors on the ends of the wye. Grey or black depending on your truck. You unplug the light from the existing wire and plug one side of the wye into the light and the otherside of the wye into the existing wire that was plugged into the light. You need to complete the circuit for every thing to work. You must have the existing wire loose in there.

Wish I could just buy the added module, so I could have the Automatic Emergency Braking function on the trailer. Not going to pay for a whole new controller setup just for that, I don't have Adaptive Cruise Control, shouldn't use that towing anyway.
Thanks for the reply. I finally figured out I needed the two connections. Plugged it in and now everything is working as planned.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Dealer finally installed my brake controller last week.
Tonight I mounted the dial myself... I liked the idea of mounting it in place of one of the 12v plugins.
It really looks great there.
thanks for the ideas from this forum!

51E97586-19AB-4C15-A9A4-1E0024D466EA.jpeg
That's where I mounted mine also, I didn't like it done by the shifter either. I also didn't like it on the left side. I'm very right handed and wanted it more in my line of sight.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Hey guys and girls, just got mine now installed in the driveway. I'm not getting any lights on my Redarc control knob. CHMSL is working and everything seems good. Nothing on the controller however. Do I need a trailer to trigger it?

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
A trailer or a tester that will put a load on it. If it doesn't sense a trailer, it don't come on.

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys and girls, just got mine now installed in the driveway. I'm not getting any lights on my Redarc control knob. CHMSL is working and everything seems good. Nothing on the controller however. Do I need a trailer to trigger it?
When I press the button it 'breathes' blue, then goes out. It won't stay on until a trailer is hooked up, but it does light up.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Mine does not do anything, even turning on headlights I would assume it would light up. . I'll see if I can find a test light or a buddy's trailer. Mine doesn't arrive for a few weeks. All connections look good and secure.

Lonewolf

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crewcab FX4
Occupation
Chemist
Mine does not do anything, even turning on headlights I would assume it would light up. . I'll see if I can find a test light or a buddy's trailer. Mine doesn't arrive for a few weeks. All connections look good and secure.
Mine does not light up until I hook up my camper. With no trailer, I think it has a very faint blue light when I hold the button for a second but does not stay on. I though mine wasnt working when i picked it up from the dealer until I hooked up my camper and it lit up.
Sponsored