Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
Hi all,
I wanted to test drive a Tremor this weekend and the asking price was $54,495- just nuts! $2000 for desert prep and $5000 for Tremor prep. I told the wife to get out of the truck and we laughed our way out the door.
Sponsored

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4, black out package, 302a, technology.
Occupation
Problem Solver
Hi all,
I wanted to test drive a Tremor this weekend and the asking price was $54,495- just nuts! $2000 for desert prep and $5000 for Tremor prep. I told the wife to get out of the truck and we laughed our way out the door.
Capitalism at its finest. I went to buy a motorcycle for my son a couple Months ago with similar scenario. I looked at sticker price then at their sales tag….30% mark up due to “demand“. Shitty lesson to learn about capitalism but no way I was going to pay that much over. Bastard wouldn’t even negotiate. so we walked out. In California we have an anti-gouging law if effect for COVID….I wonder what the state would say about these price inflations?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I wasn't complaining about the excessive inventory discounts when I got $7 grand off my '19 XLT.

It works both ways. When I lived in Hawaii in the late 80's the dealers tried to mark up everything.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
I wasn't complaining about the excessive inventory discounts when I got $7 grand off my '19 XLT.

It works both ways. When I lived in Hawaii in the late 80's the dealers tried to mark up everything.
A pendulum that swings in one direction will eventually come back to the other side....

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin

A pendulum that swings in one direction will eventually come back to the other side....
Yeah. Not sure gouging laws cover this, but don't know. The issue with 'added dealer costs' is they won't be included in MSRP. May as well just burn that money because it's gone once you drive off the lot. At least in normal times and you don't resell to carvana :)

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
That's the good thing about it. If you feel the deal they are offering is not to your liking you can walk away with no money out of pocket. I'd certainly be interested what that $2000 for desert prep and the $5,000 for Tremor prep was all about though and what it covered. Did you ask them?

The Tremor I saw on the lot when I was in for service today was listed at I think around $47,000 as I recall. I didn't see anything on the stcker about Tremor prep. But I was not really looking.

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
But on the other side of capitalism is that if people don't buy then at those prices they'll have to come down ?
Who says you have to shop at that dealer? When they start losing business, they will come down.

Dealerships like that give bad names to all other dealerships.

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4, black out package, 302a, technology.
Occupation
Problem Solver
Who says you have to shop at that dealer? When they start losing business, they will come down.

Dealerships like that give bad names to all other dealerships.
when my dealer got the first Rangers they pulled this scam. 4,000 dealer mark up over MSRP , didn’t even try to hide it as prep, it was clearly a dealer nut. Quite shameless about it too. Like previous poster said, when customers stop paying over msrp, the price will come down. That’s the beauty of it.

I remember when Saturn sold cars and the price was the price. No mark up, no mark down. Made the purchase experience MUCH less painful because you knew what you were going to spend. Nowadays, you need to load up on nerve and conviction to get a fair deal. Or at least feel like you did ?

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
when my dealer got the first Rangers they pulled this scam. 4,000 dealer mark up over MSRP , didn’t even try to hide it as prep, it was clearly a dealer nut. Quite shameless about it too. Like previous poster said, when customers stop paying over msrp, the price will come down. That’s the beauty of it.

I remember when Saturn sold cars and the price was the price. No mark up, no mark down. Made the purchase experience MUCH less painful because you knew what you were going to spend. Nowadays, you need to load up on nerve and conviction to get a fair deal. Or at least feel like you did ?
Well I think Saturn added that no negotiating cost into their prices. No hassle, which is nice, but we are adding on "x" percent for your not having to waste hours going back and forth with a dealer. That's pretty much what Carvana is doing now with their car sales. Click and buy but you are going to pay a premium for no hassle and also probably get a higher than normal interest rate if you finance through them.

Last edited: