First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Hit 50,000 miles last week. And I forgot to get a pic of the occasion !
This little truck has done me well. Short of the broken wire saga and the “bucking surging“ both fixed on fords dime. It has been trouble free.

Sure, it’s not perfect. I suspect I’m having some transmission bugs starting to creep in. High RPMs during shifts, hard shifts. There are some comfort issues interior wise.

Fuel mileage has been outstanding

I have about a year left to pay it off. Might even try and pay it off sooner. I’m honestly worried the Ranger line might not last much longer. Could be wrong, who knows.

I don’t hold any emotional attachment to a vehicle. I don’t name them, keep till the wheels fall off, spend 8 hours washing one. I take of it sure. It’s just a tool that is meant to be replaced.

Great forum to belong to as well!

IMG_1628.jpeg
Sponsored

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
For me, it is all about ROI. I keep them as long as they are reliable. I run cost analysis on each vehicle and determine when to replace when I exceed an economic threshold. This has worked well for me for decades, but the 5G Ranger may break the pattern. I fear that it is simply not as reliable as previous generations of autos and repair costs are extremely high. I need it to run reliably for several hundred thousand miles to meet my ROI objectives. I may end up cutting my losses and cash out of it in the near future. My 4G Ranger is running very well and I think I can easily get another 15 years out of it.

DeerSlayer

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RangerXLT Crewcab
Occupation
Para Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Planned obselescence is baked into the engineering. Nothng is made to last anymore. I just might spend the $1500 for a rebuilt tranny for my 94 and get another 250k out of it. By that time this POS will be a soda can in someones fridge.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Just hit 50k myself on my '21. No real issues yet. I better go knock on some wood.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planned obselescence is baked into the engineering. Nothng is made to last anymore. I just might spend the $1500 for a rebuilt tranny for my 94 and get another 250k out of it. By that time this POS will be a soda can in someones fridge.
I did just that on my 2005 Ranger. Jasper 4L engine and transmission, Dorman Driveshaft, new suspension, shocks, brakes, new fluids, new fuel pump, alternator, and AC compressor, front wheel bearings and driveshafts. It has been 3 years now with 10K miles on the truck. I trust it far more than my 2020 Ranger. It doesn't have the pulling power or fuel efficiency, but parts are dirt cheap I replaced both headlight enclosures for $40. Replaced thermostat housing with an aluminum part that came with both sensors, gaskets, and thermostat for $35. I've got just under $11K in it now, and it basically it is new again. Drives like new. Taxes and insurance are both cheap. Looking back this was a wise choice.

I have not given up on the 2020 yet, but the decision is easier to make now.

Update:
I am getting 340 miles to the tank now (up from 275 miles to the tank on the old engine / transmission combo), that's 20 mpg. Not as good as the 2023, but not bad at all. Jasper has modified key parts of the engine and transmission, patented the changes, and sold the use rights to Ford for replacement / crate engines and transmissions.

I think this is a substantial part of their revenue stream.

Last edited:

OP
OP

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
I just like trying different vehicles. I've ran plenty to close to 200,000. Always chasing a leak here or there, rust, etc. I gets tiring.
I'd still consider looking at a new Ranger.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just like trying different vehicles. I've ran plenty to close to 200,000. Always chasing a leak here or there, rust, etc. I gets tiring.
I'd still consider looking at a new Ranger.
I get it. New vehicles have a draw all their own. And there is a lot to like about the 5G Rangers.

I got mine just before the sc@mdemic for under 30K. I found exactly the configuration that I wanted in the Scab XLT Sport 4X4 with locking dif at a price I feared would only be going up, so I pulled the trigger. The creature comforts are nice, and the gas mileage is nice too.

But the CONS are real too
  • Poor battery management
  • Poor rear suspension and shocks
  • Poor HVAC air box design
  • Poor Transmission SW config
  • Poor Transmission CDF Drum and Valve Body implementation (Design is actually quite good) but the choice of materials / parts to put it all together sucks
  • Poor Driveshaft Design
  • Poor Clutch Fan Design
These exposures add up to big maintenance bills if you choose not to pay for the extended warranty. I forked over another 1200 (or was it 1800) for the warranty in the 35th month of ownership - something I have never done before.

I've optimized the battery management, corrected the driveshaft shakes (TW Driveshaft), corrected the clutch fan design, and replaced the shocks (Eibachs). But the 2 BIG Ticket items are are still haunting me. The "bipolar" transmission, and the "it's gonna fail" AC air box warping issue. That is a great deal of extra cost that throws my ROI calculations out the window.

I like driving the truck now, but I fear the 5G Ranger run rate costs are simply just too expensive to ever allow me to reach anything close to a reasonable 10 year total expense (I was initially looking to expense it out over 20 years but that is clearly a pipe dream!). As much as I like the 5G Ranger, I would like my discretionary income going to more worthwhile endeavors.

Newps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat

I don't think the mileage is great, more like mediocre., I have a 2020 Lariat. I also have a 2016 F150 3.5L and 6 speed. Recently we had a 2023 F150 rental with the same 3.5L but with the 10 speed, we had it for 3 weeks. My Ranger gets about the same as yours, I'm seeing about 22 MPG on our highways here in Montana doing 75 MPH. My 2016 got about 19 MPG with the factory tires which are p rated and going the same 75 MPH. Needing new tires I let my local shop talk me into LT tires, instantly lost 2 MPG due to increased tire weight. Same size tire.
The rental F150 though, wow. At 75 MPH we were seeing 23-24MPG. With the 10 speed it's only turning 1700 RPM at 75 whereas both my F150 and the Ranger are at about 2000 RPM. So if I was king I'd put the 3.5L and 10 speed into the Ranger and it should get even better mileage since it's a little lighter.

josephranger

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Congratulations on hitting 50,000 miles with your truck, Tony! It's great to hear that it has served you well overall, with only a few minor issues that were promptly resolved. While you've noticed some transmission concerns and comfort issues, the outstanding fuel mileage is a definite plus.
Sponsored