First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Just wondering if anyone's done Ford's 30,000 mile maintenance and what you thought? Took my Ranger in to the dealership this morning to investigate a clunk/rattle coming from the driver's side front and figured I'd have them do the 30k while I was there. This is the first time taking the truck back to a dealership in 20 months of ownership - I've done all my own maintenance otherwise. Quoted me $290 for an oil change, tire rotation, engine and cabin air filters, an "induction cleaning" (whatever the heck that entails), and their however many point inspection. Seems a little steep and exactly why I service my vehicles myself (I can change the oil and rotate tires for $30 myself, and air filters are cheap). Fortunately I still have Ford Pass points that should take care of a chunk of that.

Anyone know what the "induction cleaning" entails? Can't imagine it's too involved, but makes me wonder what I'm paying for.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I've done all my own maintenance. IDK what "Induction Cleaning" is, but Ford themselves says not to use any induction cleaning agents or solvents because it can harm the turbo. Sounds like they are soaking you for extra money and doing not a whole lot.

Oil change is 45$ max (for good oil)
Cabin and Engine filters (IDK, I can't find any that aren't at the dealer)
Rotating tires is also 15 minutes of work in your driveway.

OP
OP
BcP28

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Looks like engine air filters are ~$10-$12 on Rockauto. Agreed, they are definitely taking a payday on what is otherwise routine/inexpensive maintenance. Given the cold and snow we've had here, I'm okay letting them do the tire rotation so I don't have to! Glad I have the Ford Pass points to hopefully cover most it.

If I can figure out what they do for the 'induction cleaning' I'll report back. My Ford Pass app just alerted me to a 4WD fault :oops: so there's that too haha dealership service is fun, isn't it?!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like engine air filters are ~$10-$12 on Rockauto. Agreed, they are definitely taking a payday on what is otherwise routine/inexpensive maintenance. Given the cold and snow we've had here, I'm okay letting them do the tire rotation so I don't have to! Glad I have the Ford Pass points to hopefully cover most it.

If I can figure out what they do for the 'induction cleaning' I'll report back. My Ford Pass app just alerted me to a 4WD fault :oops: so there's that too haha dealership service is fun, isn't it?!

Gotta love electronics...

I just ordered WIX filters from oreilly for 16$ each shipped (Cabin and Engine). Which is worth it for me to not have to go out in this weather.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO

They are basically going to clean the throttle body, and the injectors. However, if you've been using a Top Tier gas https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/ you should be fine. The detergents in the gas keep everything nice, and clean. And like you say, the rest you can do yourself.

BTW, cleaning the throttle body isn't that hard either. That is if you can find the dang thing under all those wires, and hoses. :)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500PSI injectors should keep themselves plenty clean... The TB, maybe gets oily from PCV fumes, but it has no MAF (or at least needs no MAF), so cleaning it is also unnecessary at 30K miles especially if they are going to use spray cleaners since none of them should be going through your turbo (impeller or compressor)

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Induction cleaning should involve a chemical solvent being sprayed into the intake system with the vehicle running. The ones I've seen are a canister that is hooked up to air, it has an "S" shaped attachment that sprays in the throttle body. Prior to DI engines, I would say it was mostly a waste, but I personally believe they could be of help cleaning intake valves in trucks like ours that don't have the lower pressure port injectors spraying gas over our intake valves. I know Ford doesn't authorize such cleaning agents, I think in part because of the catalytic converter possibly suffering damage, but if the dealer is doing it, you should be good for any future warranty issues. CRC makes a product called intake valve and turbo cleaner that they say will not harm turbos, but actually clean them and is safe on converters. It's about $13-$15 a can. I used this every 15k on my F-150 and will do the same on my Ranger, already past the 15k mark, so one round has been completed already. Here's a pic of a typical induction servicing machine and the CRC:
induction service.jpg
CRC.jpg

Last edited:

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I use K&N filters for the air box and cabin. Wash and recharge if needed. They aren't cheap but they do the job.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use K&N filters for the air box and cabin. Wash and recharge if needed. They aren't cheap but they do the job.
50K miles of K&N filter letting fine sand into your turbo will not be good. AEM Dryflow is a better filter, especially with their airbox and a prefilter. Just remember with increased flow comes decreased filtration. (I did a Green Air filter on my Focus ST for ~60K miles and the turbo vanes were noticeably pitted when the car got totaled.)

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
If you want to do it yourself, then by all means do it. It will certainly be cheaper, and you have a guarantee of quality work (assuming you do quality work). I usually don't because it can be a PITA and I don't have a ton of time. That price doesn't sound awful for a dealer. It's probably $90 for the oil change and rotation, 50-60 for the two filters and a little bit of labor, and the rest is the induction cleaning.

I have seen some information that suggests that the induction cleaning is not good for the turbos. I would not do it at 30,000 miles for sure. Get a price without the induction cleaning and then decide.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
The Ford dealer where I have purchased my last 5 Fords has a display on the service counter for BG Products induction cleaning system. My son also has it at his shop and has had great results fixing rough running DI cars with the system.

I have been using the CRC induction cleaner in my turbo DI cars every other oil change as a preventative measure for the past 10 years. CRC has been a very reputable company for over 60 years and I have been using their products since the 70s with great success.

joeduran3

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired
I've done all my own maintenance. IDK what "Induction Cleaning" is, but Ford themselves says not to use any induction cleaning agents or solvents because it can harm the turbo. Sounds like they are soaking you for extra money and doing not a whole lot.

Oil change is 45$ max (for good oil)
Cabin and Engine filters (IDK, I can't find any that aren't at the dealer)
Rotating tires is also 15 minutes of work in your driveway.
I do my own maintenance also. You can get the cabin filter and a better air filter on Amazon.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do my own maintenance also. You can get the cabin filter and a better air filter on Amazon.
That was 2 years ago, I've since found WIX and Motorcraft replacements for both. Now the issue is that Ford has allegedly discontinued the rear rotors and nobody has a new part number in their systems :)

joeduran3

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired
Sorry, asleep at the wheel this morning... No rear rotors? That's just great. My brakes have a slight shudder to them under load, feels like a warped rotor to me. I have 34k miles.
Sponsored