Scheduled Maintenance

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
Probably the only part of the owners manual I did not read. And why should I? Service intervals are 3000 miles. That's just what we always went with. It was our truth, and it is how we lived. If Moses hadn't dropped that third tablet, I'm pretty sure that would have been on there at number 11 or 12.

My 17 Frontier, I believe, said 3500-7500 depending on conditions. But I could never trust that. I just stuck with to 3000-3500 miles interval. It's just how I was raised, and no amount of brainwashing was gonna change that.

So today, I was playing around in the Ford Pass app, and it shows 10,000 mile service intervals, and a couple even at 20k? What is this nonsense?!?! So I looked in my manual, and it says 7500-10k for the conditions I drive in.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I just have a feeling, that if I hit 3600 miles, and I haven' done a service, I'll be going batshit crazy.
Sponsored

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Direct injection turbo motor. Clean premium synthetic oil every 3-4k miles for me.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
10k is the bare minimum. A full synthetic oil should be okay for that but I'd be concerned about the filter. I change with synthetic every 5k.
My system:
Every 5k oil and filter, rotate tires.
10k rotate and balance tires.
30k air filter, cabin air filter, change lube in axles and transfer case.
50k coolant and spark plugs.
I've given up changing the transmission fluid. Ford builds shit transmissions and it's gonna blow sometime after 100k whether you change the fluid or not.

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
Probably the only part of the owners manual I did not read. And why should I? Service intervals are 3000 miles. That's just what we always went with. It was our truth, and it is how we lived. If Moses hadn't dropped that third tablet, I'm pretty sure that would have been on there at number 11 or 12.

My 17 Frontier, I believe, said 3500-7500 depending on conditions. But I could never trust that. I just stuck with to 3000-3500 miles interval. It's just how I was raised, and no amount of brainwashing was gonna change that.

So today, I was playing around in the Ford Pass app, and it shows 10,000 mile service intervals, and a couple even at 20k? What is this nonsense?!?! So I looked in my manual, and it says 7500-10k for the conditions I drive in.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I just have a feeling, that if I hit 3600 miles, and I haven' done a service, I'll be going batshit crazy.
R.png

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
The first car we had that had a service computer was an MBZ and they had recently switched to Mobile 1 (coincidentally also for them throwing free service for like the first three years :(). The computer usually popped with an oil change notice at around 12K. If I knew we would be keeping that car for my normal 12-15 years on a truck, there was no way I would have heeded that setup.

I have read everything I could on the subject and am convinced the engineers know what they are doing and following the computer and extended other (or no recommended service) recommendations.

For my wife’s car, I follow Toyotas book and computer recommends as I know 5-6 years is a good target when she will be getting restless and her eye will start wandering for a change.

For what I am getting, my assumption is I very well might be keeping what I get for a couple hundred thousand miles, so I stick to a schedule more like Johnnyo’s above, maybe even a little more conservative. Probably wasting money, but it keeps me occupied in the garage (I like working on my truck) and I get real peace of mind from it.

I think these kinds of decisions are more like fashion than technology.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I keep it simple.

10k oil, grease ball joints, rotate tires, and clean air filter (AFE)
30k transmission drain, cabin filter.
60k transmission filter.
60k axles, T-case, spark plugs.
100k replace all ball joints and tie rods regardless of condition.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I drive so little I'm at 3,000 since last change, 47% oil life but it's been 6 months so it's due. I will probably be changing it by months rather than mileage.
Sponsored