265/70R17 Potential Problem?

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
the blue is the protective coating, it’s hard to diagnose over the internet, but the ring leads me to recommend having it looked at in person.
I zoomed in and looks like edge of the blue coating for the raised white letters to me.
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i do see the ring, but cant see anything its touching. looks like plenty of space. a quick give away is to feel the raised white letters. if they feel damaged or rubbed smoothed etc. in the same frame as the greyish ring, then something is rubbing some place and it needs to be checked out. if the raised white letters feel the same up and down across all the words then no worries. the lettering on the tire are just a slight bit higher than the side wall. so if something in that area is making contact the letters being higher than the side wall will be first to get damaged.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
As others have said, it appears to be in a spot where it can’t make contact with any suspension parts. It could be marks from the tire machine or from tires rubbing together during transport, like this…

A566FA9C-FCEA-4054-8AA4-60556F6C4D95.jpeg

Maybe clean one up and chalk the sidewall - if it rubs on something, the chalk will likely get rubbed off and you’ll be able to see where it ends up.

Be sure to follow-up and let us know what you find out. ?

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
As others have said, it appears to be in a spot where it can’t make contact with any suspension parts. It could be marks from the tire machine or from tires rubbing together during transport, like this…

Maybe clean one up and chalk the sidewall - if it rubs on something, the chalk will likely get rubbed off and you’ll be able to see where it ends up.

Best suggestion yet ?

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I just got some Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 265/70R17 installed yesterday. I was looking under my truck earlier and it seems like the UCAs might be contacting a little while driving.
I’m on a 2.5inch level and when the truck is sitting it looks like I have a half an inch on clearance between the UCA and the sidewall.
Could it just be because they’re brand new or from hard-braking? Or maybe an alignment issue?
I just bought a set of same Michelin Defender tires. No problem, although I’m stock.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Or it was laying on the floor of the garage after they mounted it!

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I don't see any contact points at all. I believe that they have clearance all the way around. Try the chalk idea from above.
Sponsored