2023 Ranger broken steering gear and differential blown

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
This still baffles me how they can determine a rear differential can cause steering gear issues.
I think this was a mis-diagnose. IDK about the metal shavings, but if so, it is unrelated.

I think the engine noise and the steering issue are related.

The EPAS is resorting to manual mode or reduced steering mode.
Manual Mode - Zero Steering assist (Heavy steering effort)
Reduced Steering Mode = Heavier than normal feel

So, either a bad PSCM (part of the EPAS) aka rack or communication to it over the HS-CAN network
network, the network modules include ABS-BCM -SCCM-RCM-IPMA-PCM - IPC -TCCM and PAM
The EPAS itself has Torque and Angle sensors within the unit.
And note the TCCM, Transfer Case Cont. Module is input for drive mode (2WD / 4WD)
So, as you can see there are quite a few modules that tie into the EPAS, a pinpoint code will narrow it down.
But for me and my office chair view of this = they did not address the initial complaint, as from a service manual troubleshoot without a code, I do not see any direction to check the rear differential.

Ref: The brakes still feel mushy, you stated they adjusted them - I am assuming they adjusted the brake pedal travel, now I know for a fact that the fix for this is a full system bleed- starting with the ABS module then followed by each caliper, you WILL get air out of the system at the R/Rear Caliper.
This issue alone may be the cause of the steering issues, ABS system has air in it and is tripping an ABS code, which in turn is a Dominio effect on the EPAS, it is picking up a code from the ABS module and tripping the EPAS into failure mode.

Did the dealer give you the printout with the codes they originally found that led them to the rear differential inspection?
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I'm not familiar with buy back options, as I have never had to even remotely consider asking, but something doesn't smell right still. I can't be the only one can I?
Seems like standard practice to me. I used to do them for another manufacturer. The best deal is usually to move to a new vehicle within the brand.

Good luck to the OP. Should work out fine.

Edit: I would ask for an extended warranty to “renew your faith in the brand”. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

Last edited:

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I'm not familiar with buy back options, as I have never had to even remotely consider asking, but something doesn't smell right still. I can't be the only one can I?
Basically, lemon law. Saw a guy on YouTube that had nothing but problems with a Mustang. After many failed attempts to fix it, Ford agreed to take it back.

MarioCart

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed
Basically, lemon law. Saw a guy on YouTube that had nothing but problems with a Mustang. After many failed attempts to fix it, Ford agreed to take it back.
sounds like Ford threw him a bone then, as I don't see anywhere in his posts that Ford hasn't made an effort at fixing the issues at hand, or at least meet the criteria that would trigger a buyback.
I'm not sure Ford ever gives in that easy? Guys fight for warranty on lesser value issues. Maybe his timeline and details of the problems are way out to lunch, I dunno.
I just don't get it. I've come across too much drama in my life over the years to fall for BS easily I guess. #notconvinced

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
sounds like Ford threw him a bone then, as I don't see anywhere in his posts that Ford hasn't made an effort at fixing the issues at hand, or at least meet the criteria that would trigger a buyback.
I'm not sure Ford ever gives in that easy? Guys fight for warranty on lesser value issues. Maybe his timeline and details of the problems are way out to lunch, I dunno.
I just don't get it. I've come across too much drama in my life over the years to fall for BS easily I guess. #notconvinced
He lives in CA. Lemon laws are very well enforced there.

MarioCart

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed
He lives in CA. Lemon laws are very well enforced there.
might be so if true, but the bars been set very low in my opinion.
did any of these qualify him for such a quick and easy buy back?

1697500888050.png

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
might be so if true, but the bars been set very low in my opinion.
did any of these qualify him for such a quick and easy buy back?

1697500888050.png
Probably days down. The lemon law information you posted is different for every state. Not sure why you think it’s such a big deal. If you meet the requirements for lemon law in your state the manufacturer is required to follow the law. No magic to it.

MarioCart

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed
Probably days down. The lemon law information you posted is different for every state. Not sure why you think it’s such a big deal. If you meet the requirements for lemon law in your state the manufacturer is required to follow the law. No magic to it.
Thats California, where you say he's from.
Its no skin off my ass.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thats California, where you say he's from.
Its no skin off my ass.
A lot of states are very similar. Some give final repair attempts some don’t, etc. No skin here either. Just don’t know why you’re so skeptical.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
They don't. IIRC, the guy with the Mustang I mentioned fought them for over 6 months to get a buy back.

OP
OP
Morgangwc

Morgangwc

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Well I finally turned in my poor Ranger to Ford and got my check yesterday. I actually felt bad for the Ranger. The steering had gone haywire about a month ago and the Sync system kept locking up and finally went black died on the way to turn it in.
Such a good looking and riding truck just lemon. Thanks for all your listening on here and thoughts and advise. I still think the Ranger is best looking and best work truck on the road because of the size. As for the 10 speed trans they made with GM, there's now a class action against GM about it and been granted status by the court.

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Well I finally turned in my poor Ranger to Ford and got my check yesterday. I actually felt bad for the Ranger. The steering had gone haywire about a month ago and the Sync system kept locking up and finally went black died on the way to turn it in.
Such a good looking and riding truck just lemon. Thanks for all your listening on here and thoughts and advise. I still think the Ranger is best looking and best work truck on the road because of the size. As for the 10 speed trans they made with GM, there's now a class action against GM about it and been granted status by the court.
To bad a SCab too not many of them around, so what happens to it if you know, can it be resold with a branded title that it was LL buyback? Or junkyard for parts?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
To bad a SCab too not many of them around, so what happens to it if you know, can it be resold with a branded title that it was LL buyback? Or junkyard for parts?
I think it varies by state, but I believe that the Title must state Lemon Law Buyback and the next purchaser must be notified in writing stating the same.

I am quite certain, this truck will be resold to somebody, they will band aid fix it to get it sold (AS-IS)
or a small, short-term warranty included.
But the LURE will be a Great Deal (Pricewise) on a low milage truck, as long as you can get lending for it. But this is all a guess as I highly doubt that Ford will write the truck off as a loss.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Normally, it is repaired and sold in another market (like Mexico) to avoid a lot of issues.

OP
OP
Morgangwc

Morgangwc

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
They said the would use it for research....ai think some poor guy will get it thinking its a great deal!
Sponsored