First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
That's interesting, as IIRC, I've seen that Fords Trail Control, seems to get better reviews than the Toyota crawl mode.

Frank
Well there are different aspects to traction control settings but it seems the Toyota has some trick methods of getting a stuck truck moving again in reviews. The channel that did this video for example put the Tremor against his then 4runner at the time and the 4runner's traction control made the difference. I think other things at play too though (tires).

I ended up putting 285/70/17 ko2 on mine and love em. Tried to get stuck in sand and it just goes. Sand mode, adv. trac off and locker on.

The Taco is a great truck and so is the Ranger, only difference is the Ranger is underestimated. Came out just in time for Covid to hit.
Sponsored

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Well there are different aspects to traction control settings but it seems the Toyota has some trick methods of getting a stuck truck moving again in reviews. The channel that did this video for example put the Tremor against his then 4runner at the time and the 4runner's traction control made the difference. I think other things at play too though (tires).

I ended up putting 285/70/17 ko2 on mine and love em. Tried to get stuck in sand and it just goes. Sand mode, adv. trac off and locker on.

The Taco is a great truck and so is the Ranger, only difference is the Ranger is underestimated. Came out just in time for Covid to hit.
toyotas crawl control is neat but it will never beat throttle control with a manual... seen it done a few times. crawl control is mainly for people that dont know what they are doing and they get in a situation and need help but dont have any... the rangers tech i havent tried out yet since i dont really wheel this truck its just an adventure rig now...

also ko2s if you get them on wet stuff they lose traction easy so be warned by that one other then that a good tire that last a long time they loooove! dry sand and rocks they perform amazing in that!

completely agree on that part both are great trucks and will get you where you want to go and do what most want to do the ranger is very underestimated as well thou not sure why

Last edited:

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
toyotas crawl control is neat but it will never beat throttle control with a manual... seen it done a few times. crawl control is mainly for people that dont know what they are doing and they get in a situation and need help but dont have any... the rangers tech i havent tried out yet since i dont really wheel this truck its just an adventure rig now...

also ko2s if you get them on wet stuff they lose traction easy so be warned by that one other then that a good tire that last a long time they loooove! dry sand and rocks they perform amazing in that!

completely agree on that part both are great trucks and will get you where you want to go and do what most want to do the ranger is very underestimated as well thou not sure why
I agree about tech and all. It makes it easier for those without the experience. Someone with the better line will have an easier time. Right tire/size makes a difference too.

I get that feeling about the KO2 on wet roads, I am new to off-road, meaning just the last few years compared to years of drag racing and breaking things lol. The only other AT/Hybrid tire I have had was the Nitto Ridgegrappler and that seemed to have a lot more grip on wet streets. Always questioned it because those are on an AWD Honda Pilot but the grip feels superior on wet roads. Even dry, the KO2 seem easier to break loose but it is apples vs oranges. You can just feel the tire though. Putting Toyo Open Country at3 on the Pilot this weekend, the Nitto are still ok but I don't like waiting to the last minute. The rubber seems to have hardened too.

The main thing I wanted to plan for with the Ranger was sand which was partly why I quickly went to the 285/70/17. Pirate's Cove in CA was the baseline. With the stock Grabber ATX they did ok. I NEEDED to air down for sure where the KO2 even at my towing 50psi I could get through sand. Lowered to 24psi and stopped on the thickest/softest sand parts and no issues getting moving again. I attribute that partly to the width of the tire for the weight of the truck. No expert though but less vehicle weight per sq. in. of tire is what I was after.

Sand Hallow, UT I didn't have much of a before and after but that sand is more powdery when dry. Didn't push it hard there in the dunes but after this weekend, I am confident in this tire setup for sand.

Overall, I love this damn Ranger!

20221112_143420.jpg

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I dont like this guys you tube videos. Hes a lot like me with my truck. (Yes i care for it even though it gets dents and mud), oh this curb is to high, we will skip that obstacle and go for the costco speed bump.

Just do the obstacles dude! We all wanna see the limits. So i just stopped watching his channel.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I dont like this guys you tube videos. Hes a lot like me with my truck. (Yes i care for it even though it gets dents and mud), oh this curb is to high, we will skip that obstacle and go for the costco speed bump.

Just do the obstacles dude! We all wanna see the limits. So i just stopped watching his channel.
I much prefer the videos where they are doing "podcasts"...

I also like when these two aren't together... The chemistry is just forced...

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
I agree about tech and all. It makes it easier for those without the experience. Someone with the better line will have an easier time. Right tire/size makes a difference too.

I get that feeling about the KO2 on wet roads, I am new to off-road, meaning just the last few years compared to years of drag racing and breaking things lol. The only other AT/Hybrid tire I have had was the Nitto Ridgegrappler and that seemed to have a lot more grip on wet streets. Always questioned it because those are on an AWD Honda Pilot but the grip feels superior on wet roads. Even dry, the KO2 seem easier to break loose but it is apples vs oranges. You can just feel the tire though. Putting Toyo Open Country at3 on the Pilot this weekend, the Nitto are still ok but I don't like waiting to the last minute. The rubber seems to have hardened too.

The main thing I wanted to plan for with the Ranger was sand which was partly why I quickly went to the 285/70/17. Pirate's Cove in CA was the baseline. With the stock Grabber ATX they did ok. I NEEDED to air down for sure where the KO2 even at my towing 50psi I could get through sand. Lowered to 24psi and stopped on the thickest/softest sand parts and no issues getting moving again. I attribute that partly to the width of the tire for the weight of the truck. No expert though but less vehicle weight per sq. in. of tire is what I was after.

Sand Hallow, UT I didn't have much of a before and after but that sand is more powdery when dry. Didn't push it hard there in the dunes but after this weekend, I am confident in this tire setup for sand.

Overall, I love this damn Ranger!

20221112_143420.jpg
yup the tech is really cool but experience and proper setups is what really make a difference tbh!

when it comes to tires ive ran a few over the past few years when wheeling and wheeled with many back when i had my tacoma with different tires so i got an idea for how they usual perform out in my area in the midwest... ko2s... they did the worst out here with the mud/clay crap we have they get packed really fast and wont clean! i ran them for a little over a year and got sick of them and how they performed offroad/on road so i got rid of them for cheap and got a set of cooper st maxx and they have always done me great. they are not the best for road tbh but they do good in snow, rocky areas, mud, sand, and wet rocky areas so ive liked em enough that this is my 3rd set of em. i had a set of the toyo at IIIs and they did great in snow and overall i liked but i had two belts slip so they got warrantied within 4k miles.... went to wildpeak at3s and they did good on the tacoma but when i went with them for the ranger i constantly had issues and had them warrantied again and got my coopers back. the nitto ridge grappler is a hybrid like the st maxx but they seem to be not as loud or as aggressive but overall they have always performed well with my buddies jeeps and tacomas and never seemed to skip a beat to much when keeping up with me and others.

ya a wider contact will make the truck not sink as badly in sand which helps a lot! i use to run 255/80/17s so skinny 33s and they did great but in sand they did sink a bit more then my buddys 285s so after those wore out i went to 34s to have a bit more width and height and i loved how the old tacoma looked with em but those toyos didnt hold up haha

never been to ut but i want to go eventually one day!

agreed im very happy with my truck its done what i ask of it and gets pretty decent mpg compared to my tacomas 12 on good days lmao pic is of Michigan they have a lot of sand it seems for back roads was good fun in 2wd with the power of the turbo 4!

47.jpeg
Sponsored