John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
easy to request when things in the world are normal.
but i wouldnt be surprised if there are clauses in that contract that allow for acts of god, or other things out of their control...such as a global pandemic.
Correct but the point being Toyota didn't cancel orders with suppliers, including chips, when everyone else did. This gave them a production cushion that allowed them to get ahead a bit. Now that they've exhausted that cushion, we should see them begin to have the same supply backlog everyone else has.
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
could be in competition with their own maverick for the same people
No Maverick sales were reported for August. Tough month for Ranger, but year-to-date is up 3.9%.

Attachments

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
No Maverick sales were reported for August. Tough month for Ranger, but year-to-date is up 3.9%.
I don't think there are any sales yet of the maverick. My point is that some people that would go with the ranger because it is smaller than a f150 will want to order the maverick because it is even smaller. It is of course not going to be the only reason for the drop in numbers and maybe/likely not a large reason. It was just a suggestion

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
No need to advertise something they don't have.

This is true but advertising (good or bad) still sticks in your mind. Remember the Seinfeld episode when George steals his dates clock because he thought she took his fur hat. He goes back and says "Costanza". lol That darn Mennen commercial sticks in my head to this day. ?

I don't watch a lot of tv but I've never seen a Ranger commercial. Even before the shortages I would see F150's and tons of Tacoma commercials but never one for the Ranger.

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I don't watch a lot of tv but I've never seen a Ranger commercial. Even before the shortages I would see F150's and tons of Tacoma commercials but never one for the Ranger.
Same here in the north. Rangers only appear in "everything" ads and on rare occasions on dealer ads but that has been awhile. We are inundated with Ram and Dodge Charger ads, in-between the GMC ads. Toyota does everything ads.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is true but advertising (good or bad) still sticks in your mind. Remember the Seinfeld episode when George steals his dates clock because he thought she took his fur hat. He goes back and says "Costanza". lol That darn Mennen commercial sticks in my head to this day. ?

You are correct and I unfortunately do not remember that episode of Seinfeld. But you're absolutely right especially when you factor in subliminal messaging in the advertising.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
IIRC they bought up a lot of chips while everyone else was sitting on their @ss! There's an area here called dealer row which has just about every manufacturer on it. The Toyota dealer is the only one that has a good amount of vehicles on their lot. The others are basically empty collecting dust.
Toyota invented Just In Time ordering nearly 50 years ago. But their version is complete and accounts for predicted shortages as best it can with redundant suppliers and caches to tide over during shortages. When the system was adopted here, most of that was slowly discarded one feature at a time to boost quarterly profit statements. As I understand it, they've been hit by chip shortages, too, but to a lesser degree. They didn't cancel their orders with all suppliers for a given chip and give up their place in line.

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
The CEO's and upper management will get their bonuses, even though they predicted the market and chip shortages incorrectly. Its all about maximizing quarterly profits. The day's of having parts on the shelf is long gone.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
The CEO's and upper management will get their bonuses, even though they predicted the market and chip shortages incorrectly. Its all about maximizing quarterly profits. The day's of having parts on the shelf is long gone.
Honestly, I don't think they had a clue as to how chip foundries in east Asia operate, or the business environment they operate in. It almost felt like they were treating the chip suppliers the way they do their local (Canada, USA, Mexico) manufacturer-suppliers that might fold without their automaker contracts. Chip & board makers have long enough lead times, varied enough customers and high enough demand that any one or three medium-large customers like Ford can drop out and the foundries and factories will still be running at capacity. Someone else will just take their place in line, and that's exactly what happened.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Toyota looks like they have their shit together.
they kinda don't for a real world perspective...
All the toyo dealers here show inventory on their web pages, if you call they say sure come right on down. Then you get there poof! nothing there but scraps no one wants. How do I know?...Well we have a 2020 escape sport hybrid I'm absolutely tired of beta-testing for ford. Its in the stealership nearly every month for something seemingly stupid. Many times now I have to wait a long time for parts to come in now. So my wife and I agreed we are going to dump it for a competing hybrid the first chance we get, its her daily driver so shes between the a new Rav4 and something from Hyundai. At this point no one has any hybrids and when they do get them they go for sticker or sticker plus in many cases. The only good thing is my current vehicle is commanding top dollar right now also so that end is kind of a wash since the amount is at and above what we owe.

If ford is reading this we really loved the car, roomy, fun to drive, responsive, quiet ride...just cant seem to keep it out of the service center...thats a deal breaker b/c its a PIA to keep bringing a 1 year old car in endlessly.

Upser6788

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Ups driver
Doesnt help that prices are jacked up right now. Was comparing last night and the same truck as mine I bought in may advertised almost 8k more.
Sponsored