2021 Ford Ranger factory paint flaw

Detroiter001

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
I recently purchased a 2021 Ranger XLT sport 4 x 4. While washing it last week I noticed a factory paint flaw. The color is carbonized grey metallic. The flaw is only noticeable under certain light conditions. Here are some pictures so you can see exactly what I am talking about. As you can see in the pics itā€™s a vertical line that appears to be darker than the paint job itself. under certain light conditions you can barely see it unless you know where to look for it. Itā€™s under the clearcoat. When I took it up to the Ford body shop to have them look at it to see what could be done they say the only option is to break the factory paint seal and repaint it which Iā€™m not that crazy at all about doing. I donā€™t want the solution to become worse than the problem itself. Iā€™m just wondering if anybody else has had any paint flaw situations where they could share their input with me and give me some advice on whether I should live with it or get it repaired. I also have some other issues with the hood alignment and driver door alignment however thatā€™s a whole other thread LOL any input would be greatly appreciated.
845218A1-0611-4588-B890-47A078717058.jpeg
DAC359B7-78F3-407D-9692-B1BC7D5F701B.jpeg
7252AB9B-A098-4D7E-9B49-53CEC7320A25.jpeg
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I also try to avoid disturbing the factory paint. However, it seems unlikely to require exposing bare metal, and the hood is aluminum, so I think it will be less likely to have future problems even if it does go that deep. My favorite local body shop uses heat lamps to get a better cure on today's paints , and I would trust them to make it right.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
LEAVE IT ALONE. I REPEAT. LEAVE IT ALONE.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Just so you know your local body shop only uses a heated paint booth in order to speed up drying time in order to get more vehicles painted in a work day. Heat has nothing to do with toughness of the paint once it has completely cured after 30 days. Itā€™s a common misconception.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Leave it alone. I had a piece of debris in my paint and the dealer and I decided that it's better to leave it. You can never duplicate factory paint.

FInoob

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
??
I got a spot on one of my doors, about of the size of a quarter. It's missing the flakes in the paint, trucks Platinum White. Guess I should just leave it alone

Last edited:

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I recently purchased a 2021 Ranger XLT sport 4 x 4. While washing it last week I noticed a factory paint flaw. The color is carbonized grey metallic. The flaw is only noticeable under certain light conditions. Here are some pictures so you can see exactly what I am talking about. As you can see in the pics itā€™s a vertical line that appears to be darker than the paint job itself. under certain light conditions you can barely see it unless you know where to look for it. Itā€™s under the clearcoat. When I took it up to the Ford body shop to have them look at it to see what could be done they say the only option is to break the factory paint seal and repaint it which Iā€™m not that crazy at all about doing. I donā€™t want the solution to become worse than the problem itself. Iā€™m just wondering if anybody else has had any paint flaw situations where they could share their input with me and give me some advice on whether I should live with it or get it repaired. I also have some other issues with the hood alignment and driver door alignment however thatā€™s a whole other thread LOL any input would be greatly appreciated.
845218A1-0611-4588-B890-47A078717058.jpeg
DAC359B7-78F3-407D-9692-B1BC7D5F701B.jpeg
7252AB9B-A098-4D7E-9B49-53CEC7320A25.jpeg
Same color on my 2021 and similar issue. I have a yellow fleck of something under the clearcoat on the hood. I just try not to think about it ?.

The bottom of the driver door sticks out a little bit further than the door next to it which looks a bit funky. At the end of the day it's close enough and I'll just piss myself off if I spend time worrying about it.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My two cents is that if you have to look that close it isn't worth messing with. At the end of the day, it is a truck, and I'm sure you will get other scratches and/or dents much worse than those.

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics
Every factory vehicle will have a paint flaw, clay bar one and you'll find them... Every single vehicle I've had I found more than one flaw in it. I'd highly suggest you leave it alone the "solution" will likely be far worse than what you currently have as a flaw.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Think of it as your Rangerā€™s birthmark ?

Two positives come to mind..

1) You will always have this secret way of identifying your truck should it be stolen or in an ownership dispute.

2) Imperfections like this will cure your OCD as you will learn to live with them, that first scratch or dent is no longer a moment of hand wringing dread.

FoMoCoDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Mine has a paint flaw on the drivers fender about the size of a business card. It looks like someone rubbed against the paint and rippled it a little. Its not obvious and the clearcoat over makes it feel pretty smooth. The dealer said Ford would fix it. No way, its my trucks birthmark and theft recovery ID if needed.
IMO, if you plan on keeping your truck, live with the flaw. I have not seen many paint repairs stand the test of time.

My familys minivan was lightly wrecked in the front end at four years old. It was repaired, repainted and looked perfect when we got it back. Three years later a drive thru the car wash removed a little paint section off of the front plastic bumper. The body shop told me the rocks from other vehicles had chipped the paint and let water and air behind it. Would that have happened if it still had the original paint, I doubt it. I just reread that, of course rocks chip paint. But the paint is fully adhered to the plastic and does not peel off like a shedding snake.

Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I also try to avoid disturbing the factory paint. However, it seems unlikely to require exposing bare metal, and the hood is aluminum, so I think it will be less likely to have future problems even if it does go that deep. My favorite local body shop uses heat lamps to get a better cure on today's paints , and I would trust them to make it right.
Mike, I didn't know that the hood is aluminum...any other parts of the body also aluminum?
Thanks.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Mike, I didn't know that the hood is aluminum...any other parts of the body also aluminum?
Thanks.
The hood, front fenders and tailgate are all aluminum.

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
" The bottom of the driver door sticks out a little bit further than the door next to it which looks a bit funky. At the end of the day it's close enough and I'll just piss myself off if I spend time worrying about it. "

I have that, but only on the driver's side. Why did hungover guy have to work the driver's side at the factory that day? But I don't want to spend hours dealing with it. It's a lease after all. I'm just surprised, haven't seen these kind of quality issues in new vehicles much, especially not Fords.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
The hood, front fenders and tailgate are all aluminum.
I think the newer F-150's have all aluminum bodies. It would interested to know why the Ranger body is not all aluminum but has only those 3 areas in aluminum?
Thanks.
Sponsored