First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
Seems like a noob question, I mean, I have turned a wrench or two, but what's the easiest way to get to the fog lights? Mine's a 2021 Ranger with an off road package and one of the fog lamps is out. My previous Ranger was easy. This newer one seems like you have to be a contortionist to get to them.

Easiest way to get to them, replace them stock or replace them with what?
Sponsored

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
I bought these but gave up on the install. This video might help

tm1506

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Outback XT
Occupation
Retired
Seems like a noob question, I mean, I have turned a wrench or two, but what's the easiest way to get to the fog lights? Mine's a 2021 Ranger with an off road package and one of the fog lamps is out. My previous Ranger was easy. This newer one seems like you have to be a contortionist to get to them.

Easiest way to get to them, replace them stock or replace them with what?
If yours is an FX4 remove the air dam first, the back of your hand will thank you!

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Put the front of your truck on ramps or jack stands. Gives you more room. Take off the skid plate and the little air dams.

OP
OP
Zrider

Zrider

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Put the front of your truck on ramps or jack stands. Gives you more room. Take off the skid plate and the little air dams.
yea....that was my guess, but we've had below freezing temps and my poor Ranger sits outside. At the time, did a quick look while on my back and thought "oh this is going to be fun'.......lol

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I did the ones on my 21 XLT FX4 this way, took about an hour in the garage, lifted so no ramps needed.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Once the little air dams are out of the way, its pretty easy. Just a lot of blind fumbling

OP
OP
Zrider

Zrider

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Once the little air dams are out of the way, its pretty easy. Just a lot of blind fumbling
I was a C-130 aircraft mechanic in the Air Guard for 23 years. Blind fumbling was our way of 'using the force'. lol

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I changed mine a couple years ago....my hands looked like I was in a fight with 11 feral cats when I was done!

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
FX4 owner here, replaced with yellow LEDs. Sucked. I first attempted it without removing the skid or the air dam. Wasn't happening, lol. I do remember the 'position' I had to use to get my hand behind the fog assembly - feet pointed out the front of the truck, your head and torso in the middle but maybe scooted a bit more opposite of the fog light you're working on. You want your arm and hand to extend laterally or diagonally to the twist off bulb assembly. I found no other way. I'm a gangly kinda guy, not big meat stumps for forearms and I had to thread the needle just right. Once I had a couple fingers on it, it was fumble and pray. Its maddening how these are put together, to make access to consumable pieces nearly impossible.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Question about the "switchback" fog lamps. I understand that cycling them off then on again, they change from white to amber, or vise versa. So what happens when they turn off automatically with the auto dim feature? Do they change color every time they come back on?

Last edited:

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I bit the bullet and put in diode dynamics ss3 pro. Love them would do it again and again.
Do it once and do it right!

I was driving home along the foggy deer infested Potomac river on my way home last night and thanked my self for spending allot for the DD3 amber pros. I also am glad I paid to have them professionally installed and properly aimed.
Sponsored

Last edited: