2019 Ranger 2.3L EcoBoost engine?

GStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I just read in the Raptor section that it will probably get the 2.3L Ecoboost. So will the 2.3L in the regular Ranger be the same engine, just de-tuned for less power?
Sponsored

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
I just read in the Raptor section that it will probably get the 2.3L Ecoboost. So will the 2.3L in the regular Ranger be the same engine, just de-tuned for less power?
This engine already exists in the Mustang and Focus RS. In the Focus it is a high output version that could make its way to the Raptor. Officials from Ford have stated that it is essentially the same engine base from these vehicles but that it would be tuned for "truck" duty. Early estimates based on other vehicles in the segment suggest 310hp and 320lb-ft torque, but that is 100% speculation at this point.

Xfitter

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
This engine already exists in the Mustang and Focus RS. In the Focus it is a high output version that could make its way to the Raptor. Officials from Ford have stated that it is essentially the same engine base from these vehicles but that it would be tuned for "truck" duty. Early estimates based on other vehicles in the segment suggest 310hp and 320lb-ft torque, but that is 100% speculation at this point.
The output for the 2.3L EcoBoost engine covers a really wide range depending on the vehicle.
  • 280 hp (209 kW; 284 PS) @ 5600 rpm, 310 lbâ‹…ft (420 Nâ‹…m) @ 3000 rpm
    • 2016–2017 Ford Explorer
  • 285 hp (213 kW; 289 PS) @ 5500 rpm, 305 lbâ‹…ft (414 Nâ‹…m) @ 2750 rpm
    • 2015– Lincoln MKC
  • 310 hp (231 kW; 314 PS) @ 5500 rpm, 320–350 lbâ‹…ft (434–475 Nâ‹…m) @ 3000 rpm
    • 2015– Ford Mustang EcoBoost
  • 350 hp (261 kW; 355 PS) @ 6000 rpm, 350 lbâ‹…ft (475 Nâ‹…m) @ 3200 rpm
    • 2016– Ford Focus RS[48]
    • 2016- Zenos E10 R[49]
  • 385 hp (287 kW; 390 PS) @ 6000 rpm, 369 lbâ‹…ft (500 Nâ‹…m) @ 3200 rpm
    • 2016–2017 VUHL 05 RR
My hope is that the standard Ranger gets the Mustang's figures (310hp / 320lb-ft) and the Ranger Raptor gets the Focus RS numbers (tuned to even more torque).

sfcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
The 2.3 is a proven engine albeit with some history of issues on the Mustang. I do wish we could get the 2.7 EB for the Ranger Raptor which makes 325 HP and 400 TQ on the F150.

YellowBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Good thing is there should be tuning and other engine mods pretty much right out the gate for the 2.3l Ranger.

NY35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zamboni
The output for the 2.3L EcoBoost engine covers a really wide range depending on the vehicle.
  • 280 hp (209 kW; 284 PS) @ 5600 rpm, 310 lbâ‹…ft (420 Nâ‹…m) @ 3000 rpm
    • 2016–2017 Ford Explorer
  • 285 hp (213 kW; 289 PS) @ 5500 rpm, 305 lbâ‹…ft (414 Nâ‹…m) @ 2750 rpm
    • 2015– Lincoln MKC
  • 310 hp (231 kW; 314 PS) @ 5500 rpm, 320–350 lbâ‹…ft (434–475 Nâ‹…m) @ 3000 rpm
    • 2015– Ford Mustang EcoBoost
  • 350 hp (261 kW; 355 PS) @ 6000 rpm, 350 lbâ‹…ft (475 Nâ‹…m) @ 3200 rpm
    • 2016– Ford Focus RS[48]
    • 2016- Zenos E10 R[49]
  • 385 hp (287 kW; 390 PS) @ 6000 rpm, 369 lbâ‹…ft (500 Nâ‹…m) @ 3200 rpm
    • 2016–2017 VUHL 05 RR
My hope is that the standard Ranger gets the Mustang's figures (310hp / 320lb-ft) and the Ranger Raptor gets the Focus RS numbers (tuned to even more torque).
I would suspect that the Ranger will get somewhere between the MKC and Mustang's power output. Anyone know how the extra power is being achieved between the MKC and the Mustang and the Mustang and the Focus RS? Is it just ECU software tuning or are there hardware differences too?

SSingh1975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
['21 Ford Ranger XLT (Tremor) , BMW IX Electric
Hows does the Ranger engine compare to the 3.5L Tacoma engine? I was all set for the 2018 Tacoma TRD Sports Crewcab this year but I read the Ranger is coming back. Not sure if US will get the diesel (I've driven the Ranger D in South Pacific last year on vacation and really liked it).

The Tacoma 3.6L is supposedly under powered but can't be beat in terms of long term reliability. I'm sure Ranger will give Tacoma a run for the money now in the mid truck market segment but the engine will play a big role.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hows does the Ranger engine compare to the 3.5L Tacoma engine? I was all set for the 2018 Tacoma TRD Sports Crewcab this year but I read the Ranger is coming back. Not sure if US will get the diesel (I've driven the Ranger D in South Pacific last year on vacation and really liked it).

The Tacoma 3.6L is supposedly under powered but can't be beat in terms of long term reliability. I'm sure Ranger will give Tacoma a run for the money now in the mid truck market segment but the engine will play a big role.
I've heard a lot of Tacoma owners complain about the new 3.5 being a slug when it comes to get up and go. And owners wishing Toyota stayed with the old 4.0 in the tacos. I'm guessing the ranger will have plenty more power and pull much better mpg's than the taco. Toyota does know how to build a reliable engine though.

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
The 2.3L ecoboost going into the Ranger is actually a modified Focus RS engine rather than a modified Mustang engine (even though both are fundamentally the same engine). The reason for that is the Ranger needs enough torque to beat out the Colorado, which the Focus RS engine provides. So we're likely to see closer to Focus RS hp/torque figures. Which should make it class-leading. :)

Here's a great analysis of the Ranger ecoboost engine and how it compares to the Focus RS motor, by Road & Track.

Our first hint that it's based on the unit found in the Focus RS comes from the design of the block. That shows us that the Ranger motor employs a cross-drilled deck for cooling which is only found in the Focus RS at this time. The general idea is that coolant flows through the block below the bore bridge instead of across the top. Inside the block, the rotating assembly appears to be lifted straight from the Focus RS; it contains the forged crankshaft, forged connecting rods, and coated pistons found in the hot hatch.

Cross-Drilled Deck

ranger-engine-cross-drilled-block-jpg-1516635005.jpg

Ranger Engine rods and crank

ranger-engine-rods-and-crank-jpg-1516635047.jpg

Although the top is almost identical to the Focus RS block, the bottom has been modified and has a slightly different casting. The oil pump has been moved from its location beside the crank gear and now runs off the balance shafts in the oil pan. This move was likely done to make the front a little narrower in order to make space for the four-wheel drive components that will be used in the Ranger.

Ranger oil cooler

ranger-oil-cooler-jpg-1516635074.jpg

The oil cooling system has also been upgraded with the addition of a new housing that includes a larger oil cooler and a filter that now points to the side instead of down towards the oil pan. This housing is novel since it also appears to be where the motor mount will connect to the engine.

Ranger cylinder head and new fan mount

ranger-cylinder-head-and-new-fan-mount-1516635134.jpg

The oil pump move is not the only change to the front of the block as the harmonic balancer has also been changed. It now includes a provision for a wider front belt which will coincide with the belt-driven fan that will be installed on the Ranger. This is also apparent when you look a little higher up towards the cam gears where there is now a cast mount for the fan to attach to. The timing cover has been modified to allow for the fan mount and the removal of the oil pump below. The rest of the belt drive appears to be identical to the Focus with the water pump visible in the same 3 o’clock position on both engines.

Front of the Ranger's engine

ranger-engine-overview-front-1516635166.jpg

Moving up towards the cylinder head it is apparent that most of it was transferred over. The head casting and valvetrain components appear to be identical but a few external changes have been made. The valve cover shows some additional strengthening ribs on the front but is mostly the same. The direct injection pump is mounted in the same position on the left rear side of the head but the vacuum pump beside it on the Focus is gone. This pump is used to provide a vacuum backup for the brake booster on the other models and the unit may now be gone or relocated on the Ranger.

Ranger EGR and direct injection pump

ranger-egr-and-direct-injection-pump-jpg-1516635228.jpg

We now find an EGR cooler below the injection pump which has not been used on this size of EcoBoost motor in the past. The EGR system was likely implemented to assist with emissions by pumping hot air into the intake to richen up the fuel mixture as needed. The secondary benefit of EGR is that the warm air being pumped back in can also assist to prevent knock when the engine is under high load. The pipe that leads across the back of the head into the intake manifold appears to be the main change to the induction system there as the rest of the manifold appears to match what is found on the Mustang.

Ranger turbo

ranger-engine-turbocharger-1516635252.jpg

Moving around to the other side of the head, we find the familiar three-port integrated exhaust manifold that leads into a twin-scroll turbocharger. Although we do not have exact specs on the turbocharger just yet, the inducer wheel appears to be slightly larger than the Mustang unit.

Ranger's electronic active wastegate

ranger-electronic-active-wastegate-1516635286.jpg

We find another new piece in this area as this turbo is the first in the series to employ an electronic wastegate. The rest of the lineup uses a mechanical penumatic wastegate so this advancement should allow more granular control of boost pressure. This is important since the Ranger will likely be sold in high volume and small changes like this can help to improve fuel efficiency and emissions.

Focus RS engine and Ranger engine

focus-rs-engine-vs-ranger-engine-1516635326.jpg

There are likely other smaller parts that may have slight changes, but the Ranger motor appears to share most of its components with the Focus RS while adding a few new parts. Based on what was shown for the mock-up and the data released by Ford so far, it appears that they might be shooting for a torque monster. I would not be surprised to see it exceeding the torque ratings of its competitors.

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.builtrightind.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Product Designer
Let's take a moment to appreciate what appears to be an aluminum oil pan, instead of the injection molded stuff most of the Ford trucks have been getting recently. They just switched the Raptor from plastic to an aluminum pan, so this makes sense.

Unless it's just painted silver, like the filter.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
If you look at all midsize trucks available in the US, the top HP spec is the Canyon/Colorado 3.6L V6 at 308hp. The top torque spec is the Canyon/Colorado 2.8L diesel at 369 lb-ft. If this 2.3L Ecoboost is essentially using the Focus RS spec and modifying it..........it is conceivable that Ford could take the midsize horsepower and torque title with a single engine.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Remember, this engine is going into a truck, the duty cycle and heat management requirements are completely different than what is required in car form.

The horsepower and torque rating I would expect to be around 275-295HP and around 300-320 TQ. They could take HP and TQ, but I'd be curious if they tune for predominantly Regular Fuel rather than Premium, which would call for the lower end of the range. Should be interesting to see where Ford places the ratings in the end. It is a crap-chute now, just mere guessing for something to discuss.

Spooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Remember, this engine is going into a truck, the duty cycle and heat management requirements are completely different than what is required in car form.

The horsepower and torque rating I would expect to be around 275-295HP and around 300-320 TQ. They could take HP and TQ, but I'd be curious if they tune for predominantly Regular Fuel rather than Premium, which would call for the lower end of the range. Should be interesting to see where Ford places the ratings in the end. It is a crap-chute now, just mere guessing for something to discuss.
Agreed. They'll have to tune it for the truck market. I think it'll be along the lines of the MKC engine specs. The 10 speed auto will make up for it being down on power to the GM twins.

Nadeshot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Tacoma and '17 Mustang Ecoboost
If you look at all midsize trucks available in the US, the top HP spec is the Canyon/Colorado 3.6L V6 at 308hp. The top torque spec is the Canyon/Colorado 2.8L diesel at 369 lb-ft. If this 2.3L Ecoboost is essentially using the Focus RS spec and modifying it..........it is conceivable that Ford could take the midsize horsepower and torque title with a single engine.
Any reason why they wouldn't do that? They already have an engine that can easily take the power crown among mid-size pickups. I can't imagine the Focus RS EcoBoost engine would be that much more expensive to produce than say the next configuration down of the same engine - from the Mustang

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator

Every single EcoBoost engine, as far as I know, is rated using premium fuel.
I'm curious why everyone here seems to think that the Ranger will have similar hp/tq as the Focus RS? The RS is the high performance offering from SVT, yet every Ranger will be close? I just don't see that happening, even with the current generation RS powerplant being largely carried over. I think it's possible we will see an aggressive torque figure, possibly in the RS range of 350 lb/ft, but horsepower will be under 300 in that configuration. I think Ford is designing the hp/tq numbers to take advantage of the 10 speed transmission and shifting multiple times to keep within it's sweet spot better.
Sponsored