rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Driving the 2019 Ford Ranger by Flomulgator

Hi internet,

I got a chance to briefly drive the 2019 Ford Ranger on public streets back on Nov. 12th at the Seattle Auto Show. I looked around the internet and it appears that may be the first opportunity anyone's had yet to do that. So by dumb luck I may have been one of the first non-employees to get really drive it(that or I'm not-so-great at internet searches). So, just to get something out there for folks to digest, I'll give a brief review from my notes. Feel free to follow up with any questions.

What it was: 2019 Ford Ranger FX4, I believe in the highest trim. 4Low over some metal humps then a 2WD open cruise around a few blocks with a handler. Drove a Chevy Colorado ZR2 diesel right afterwards on same loop for direct comparison.

My thoughts: Has a perfect pickup ride quality, firm enough with just a hint of that fun body on frame jiggle but no harshness over potholes and joints or bouncing on bigger pavement undulations. For comparison, the Colorado in ZR2 trim with the multimatic shocks was inferior: too jolty and harsh. Would have liked to compare to a Z71 Colorado but no dice.

Overall driving visibility is great for a modern vehicle (which all suck compared to anything old), except for the front corners. No idea where truck ended or where the wheels were for low-speed stuff. Good back-up cam.

Overall Ergonomics are good and the cabin is comfy.

Some weirdness in low-speed throttle tip-in, a bit too sensitive somewhat like modern Subarus (which are way too sensitive), then a bit of lag between the 10 speed ZF and the turbo. Was told that these were final pre-production verfication models (were running MI manufacturer plates) so hopefully they can smooth out initial power delivery before....delivery.

Once everything is spun up the power delivery is awesome. The amount of torque a good turbo puts down in the everyday use range makes it fantastically usable compared to an NA V6 that needs to get rung out. The Colorado diesel is of course similar in this regard with even more usable torque, but with way less horsepower the diesel reminds you that it is just that on an open straight, whereas the Ranger is just a rocket. It can haul serious ass for what it is, to the point that I'd be worried about the engine outrunning the chassis on a twisty road.

I tend to dislike the sound direct injection inline 4's, or most I4s for that matter, having lived with a really fast vacuum cleaner for years (a Mazdaspeed 3). But this engine somehow manages to sound pretty good at high revs while being impressively quiet and smooth-toned at lower throttle.

And finally, good rear seat room, a bit better than the Colorado but not by much. And the tailgate sucks, it's tinny and flops down, whereas the Colorado has a nice soft-open feature. That's it!
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great info. I wish I could test drive one soon. But it sounds like that won't happen. Does anyone know if dealers will be getting any trucks before OKTB?

The soft open feature is nice - I test drove a Tacoma and it has that feature, but I think you can add that pretty easily to the Ranger - something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dee-Zee-DZ43203-Tailgate-Assist/dp/B007P05FBW

No drill install it says.....
Dealers will get their trucks before retail preorders. I suggest you contact dealers near you to see when test drives are available. For example, I found a dealer near you that will be getting a Ranger: Cars.com

756c26bf-b56b-429a-8c5c-b5b39291e2a9.png

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers will get their trucks before retail preorders. I suggest you contact dealers near you to see when test drives are available. For example, I found a dealer near you that will be getting a Ranger: Cars.com

756c26bf-b56b-429a-8c5c-b5b39291e2a9.png
Interesting - when I did a search earlier, Courtesy Ford didn't have a Ranger listed. there were 4 other dealerships that had them as "in transit". I've reached out to several of them but thus far no one can tell me when they might be available. I've heard "before the end of the year" and "sometime in January", but nothing more definitive than that.

Thanks for the info

LoneStarFlatLanders

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si - Sold my current car and waiting patiently on my new truck
A lot of these reviewers are looking for soft-touch materials in the cab, something with some padding behind it and maybe leather-ish. Personally, it doesn't bother me but I guess that's what some people want these days.
This. People have come to expect soft touch surfaces and not the harsh plastic feel that Ford decided to use here. I have to admit that I am one of those people. Hard plastic just screams cheap. Another $75-$100 in materials would have gone a long way to make the surfaces more appealing and pleasant.

BAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
variousandsundry
"And finally, good rear seat room, a bit better than the Colorado but not by much."

This was my thinking (having not been in one but based on reviews/data to date). Hoping that's enough for my kids comfort.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
2019 Ford Ranger First Impression Review

Welcome Back, Ranger
Ford has been driving the all-new 2019 Ford Ranger across the country, allowing both journalists and potential buyers – often at regional auto shows – a chance to test drive it. They are not treating the Ranger like a trailer queen, either; they are using them to tow trailers cross-country to each event. At the San Antonio Auto Show I was able to take the Ford Ranger for a quick spin on the highway and experience its off-road capability on a short obstacle course.

fnaranger.jpg

EXTERIOR
Now, living most of my life near the border means that this all-new design on the Ford Ranger doesn’t look all-new to me. The Ranger may have left the States in 2012, but it’s been going strong internationally. But, when I brought this to the attention of a Ford rep. he assured me that the 2019 U.S.-spec Ranger is slightly larger, and the size difference is enough to notice when parked next to an international model.

2019-ford-ranger-hero.jpg

In its update for the States, the front end reminds me of the Ford Escape, but beyond that, the rest of the truck looks good. Ford managed to capture body lines that appear straight-edged – yet curved at the same time – throughout the truck’s profile. This is a real pickup truck with a fully-boxed frame, and not – notably – a crossover with a bed. In short, for truck enthusiasts, this is the real deal. SuperCab Rangers will have a longer bed than SuperCrew models.

2019-ford-ranger-side-1280x837.jpg

INTERIOR
The 2019 Ford Ranger will be offered in three trim levels: XL, XLT, and Lariat, with FX4 and FX2 being sold as off-road packages. Inside, the Ranger’s space in the rear is plentiful. When I rode in the backseat, I didn’t need to take off my hat to be comfortable and had enough legroom to cross my legs. In looking over the interior, I saw bits and pieces from other Ford products sprinkled throughout. A speedometer gauge in the middle with digital gauges on either side reminded me of the Ford Fusion. The automatic gear shifter reminded me of a Ford Focus.

47086746_552360141910091_4801930873249202176_n.jpg

47192921_2144766862440739_778904838959267840_n.jpg

47102127_211289313120124_4996094713929924608_n.jpg

47209648_1925982704144183_7607872152057937920_n.jpg

46965336_380238472717585_7531286537208594432_n.jpg

There was nothing in the interior, however, that managed to catch and hold my attention. However, at first glance I knew what every button did, and getting a feel for how it drove felt like getting reacquainted with an old friend. The 2019 Ford Ranger is user-friendly for first-time truck buyers.

060_ranger_352-ad-1g.jpg

PERFORMANCE & SPECS 2019 FORD RANGER
Powering the new Ranger is a 2.3-liter twin turbo four-cylinder making 300 horsepower. The transmission will be a 10-speed automatic with 3 overdrive gears. (General Motors actually helped co-develop this transmission with Ford, and I wonder if that’ll upset die-hard GM and Ford loyalists.) The new Ranger can really scoot when you give the throttle a boot-full. The twin-turbo engine makes a nice little buzz and purr that tickled the senses into a smile. It may not be a Raptor, but it does have teeth.

47107575_732358770472610_3205953100871368704_n.jpg

The Ranger’s FX4 off-road package includes upgraded tires, steel front bash plate, reinforced frame-mounted skid plates, off-road tuned shocks, and a DANA electronic locking rear differential. Ford Rangers with 4×4 will be equipped with a 2-speed transfer case capable of shift-on-the-fly between 2-High and 4-High, allowing you to shift between 2WD and 4WD on a selector dial on the dashboard. The other off-road package, FX2, offers the same features but without, of course, the 4×4.

046_ranger__90a0025_c1.jpg

Trail Control Hill Descent is new for the Ford Ranger, and is basically off-road cruise control. Drivers can set the speed from one to twenty miles-per-hour and the Ranger will crawl at the set speed over different terrains. It’s important to note that applying the brake does not disengage Trail Control. Safety driving features like adaptive cruise control and lane assist are standard on top trim levels.

The Ford Ranger is expected to get 21 mpg City, 26 mpg Highway, for a 23 mpg Combined; this is according to a leak on the forums. Prices start at $24K and climb to the mid-$30s, keeping the Ranger competitive with other midsize trucks, like the GM Colorado and Canyon, Nissan Frontier, and Toyota Tacoma.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Ford is aiming at Ranger loyalists who can finally trade-in, as well as first-time truck buyers. Ford wants to make the Ranger cool enough for people who don’t really need a truck, but like the idea of owning a midsize. I can name a few people who fit that demographic.

I think the new Ranger will do well in large cities. Full-size trucks aren’t getting any smaller and midsize trucks are proving to be a best-of-all-worlds compromise for people living in the city, but wanting a truck for light duty or social status.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great review, although the comment about pricing is not really accurate. BASE prices can climb into the mid 30's but you can easily get one decked out into the mid 40's. That is one thing I was disappointed with - I thought they would be more competitive price wise. From my perspective, they are not cheaper than the Tacoma (its biggest competitor). They are the same or slightly more expensive.

Still interested to see official MPG results. Hopefully those will be coming soon.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great review, although the comment about pricing is not really accurate. BASE prices can climb into the mid 30's but you can easily get one decked out into the mid 40's. That is one thing I was disappointed with - I thought they would be more competitive price wise. From my perspective, they are not cheaper than the Tacoma (its biggest competitor). They are the same or slightly more expensive.

Still interested to see official MPG results. Hopefully those will be coming soon.
Yes but Rangers will have cash incentives and discount programs (A Z X Plans). On paper they are the same, but you will spend considerably less after discounts.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
It seems reviewers have a tough time getting facts right. 300 hp? Not quite. Twin turbo? Nope. FX2 trim? Where is that at? Is this the same truck?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website