Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Its a matter of personal taste and expectations.
I added half leafs and Rancho 5000 shocks to my 2001 Ranger.
I like a chassis to be tight and responsive.
My friend has a full sized 1996 Cadillac in perfect shape, If you bounce on a fender it takes a week to settle down. They call it the optional soft ride... I call it TERRIFYING!
Many "reviewers" are good at writing about almost anything, without the benefit of knowledge or experience.
Ever notice that they seem to copy each other, often using words they don't understand.
Most don't know jounce from rebound!
That's a good take. Most car reviewers have backgrounds in/preferences for sports and luxury cars. Very, very few spend much time doing genuine off-road stuff. So, trucks are kinda lost on them. Even just trying to find writers that can articulate how four-wheel drive works, or who understand the function of locking diffs is often problematic. You then see that limited information set reach car consumers, who don't receive a valuable message about the actual utility offered by utility vehicles.
Sponsored

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
One of the biggest things that was "off" with several of these reviews is that the truck rode rough. I mean maybe it does compared to a car or uni-body CUV, but in the body on frame truck world this thing rides very smooth. I had a leased 2016 F150 XL SuperCab FX4 that I turned in on lease for my new Ranger and that thing rode rough. I suppose it didn't help it was ordered with LT tires, but I hated the ride. When ordering my new FX4 Ranger I made sure to get the standard P tires. I only do light off roaring so I don't need the tougher tires. The only criticism I can give to the suspension as far as the FX4 goes is it is a little "bouncy" and has some nosedive when braking really hard, but it doesn't bother me much. Overall the suspension is very compliant on most road surfaces. If anyone thinks it rides rough I'm assuming they've never been in many trucks.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I got the new Car and Driver this past week and they had a comparo between the Gladiator, Colorado, Ridgeline and Ranger.

Ranger came in dead last and they roasted it. Bad ride, bad interior quality (the headliner was frayed in their test vehicle). They made a snide remark that they didn't include the Frontier or Tacoma in the comparo because they were so old that the newer trucks were all better... "well maybe not all" obviously directed at the Ranger.

They also said that the Ranger didn't just feel a year behind, but an entire generation behind the competition.

Order was as follows:
1. Colorado
2. Ridgeline
3. Gladiator
4. Ranger

The article doesn't seem to be online yet.

What cracks me up is they had a comparison back in January and the Ranger was 2nd ahead of the Colorado. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15378489/best-midsize-trucks/ . Makes you wonder who ante'ed up for ad dollars this month?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
One of the biggest things that was "off" with several of these reviews is that the truck rode rough. I mean maybe it does compared to a car or uni-body CUV, but in the body on frame truck world this thing rides very smooth. I had a leased 2016 F150 XL SuperCab FX4 that I turned in on lease for my new Ranger and that thing rode rough. I suppose it didn't help it was ordered with LT tires, but I hated the ride. When ordering my new FX4 Ranger I made sure to get the standard P tires. I only do light off roaring so I don't need the tougher tires. The only criticism I can give to the suspension as far as the FX4 goes is it is a little "bouncy" and has some nosedive when braking really hard, but it doesn't bother me much. Overall the suspension is very compliant on most road surfaces. If anyone thinks it rides rough I'm assuming they've never been in many trucks.
And has been stated before, but the cause of at least some of the rough/bouncy ride can be attributed to over pressure tires. It seems like many dealers did not reduce the pressure in the tires after delivery.

The ride in this Ranger is MUCH better than older trucks. I had the unique experience of driving my 2005 Ranger to a test drive so I could compare the rides of both. After driving my 2005, the 2019 rode like a DREAM. You can still tell you are in a truck, but it is VERY close to an SUV type ride I think.

I couldn't be happier with mine.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I got the new Car and Driver this past week and they had a comparo between the Gladiator, Colorado, Ridgeline and Ranger.

Ranger came in dead last and they roasted it. Bad ride, bad interior quality (the headliner was frayed in their test vehicle). They made a snide remark that they didn't include the Frontier or Tacoma in the comparo because they were so old that the newer trucks were all better... "well maybe not all" obviously directed at the Ranger.

They also said that the Ranger didn't just feel a year behind, but an entire generation behind the competition.

Order was as follows:
1. Colorado
2. Ridgeline
3. Gladiator
4. Ranger

The article doesn't seem to be online yet.

What cracks me up is they had a comparison back in January and the Ranger was 2nd ahead of the Colorado. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15378489/best-midsize-trucks/ . Makes you wonder who ante'ed up for ad dollars this month?
I’d never buy a GM product for many reasons and I am a 100% loyal FoMoCo guy, but the Colorado is an excellent class leading product and it’s no surprise it generally wins most of these comparisons. I love my new Ranger and don’t have any of the complaints of all the negative reviews. Ford foolishly left this segment years ago and it’ll take time for the Ranger to gain back the respect it had many years ago.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is beating GM in sales so GM is buy up advertising Car & driver and all the other magazines will bend over say anything for that money. One month car & driver gave the new 2015 Mustang glowing reviews and how everyone else had to step up there game to catch Mustang then a couple of months later trashed it. With all GM's Chinese money they can afford to buy the magazines and tell them what to print.

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Yeah, most of the car rags today are pretty much worthless in getting a non bias assessment. I'll stick with Youtube's Savagegeese, Alex on Autos and TFL Trucks.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I quit buying magazines and I have only one subscription left and for Muscle Mustang and once it runs out I won't renew. The magazine seems to be getting thinner each month and at least half of the magazine is advertising.