ishman1995

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
It was a cold reading.
What method did you use to take this reading? Cold running or full temp running?
It was a cold reading. No issues with fluid level, just loss of color smell and viscosity indicating it definitely needs to be changed.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
It was a cold reading.

It was a cold reading. No issues with fluid level, just loss of color smell and viscosity indicating it definitely needs to be changed.
That's interesting...my cold running reading is at 6.5...this is with the new transmission recently installed by the dealership...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Good luck. Let us know how it goes. I’m hoping they can figure out what’s going on with my truck after I drop it off tomorrow. I can’t tell if it’s multiple issues or just one thing. Hate having to burn vacation days at the dealership.
so they did the rest of pcm and no dice so they did the valve body replacement and found it was a quart low on transmission fluid from the factory lol. also center support bearing on driveshaft was bad they replaced it. the truck feels better but its not fixed. first shift from the dealer parking lot had that old lag and jerk to the next gear . they said drive it 500 miles :rolleyes:

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I've had a similar issue. I believe it is just dirty used tranny oil. The service interval says 150k miles but that is straight bs. No transmission should ever go that long without a fluid change especially if ever towing or riding it hard. I posted a picture with the color of my tranny fluid which smells completely burnt let me mind you. This is after 62k miles. I plan on changing fluid, filter, and having it flushed ASAP.

20230301_094637.jpg
That is in proper hot range. Technically overfilled about a quart if that was checked cold.

ishman1995

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
That's interesting...my cold running reading is at 6.5...this is with the new transmission recently installed by the dealership...
My truck wasn't actually running, it was just cold. And I was on an incline checking it. I just wanted to see the quality of the tranny fluid not quantity. Why did you have your tranny replaced?

ishman1995

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
That is in proper hot range. Technically overfilled about a quart if that was checked cold.
I was also on an incline while checking it. I wasnt too worried about check quantity I really just wanted to see quality. And the quality of it is VERY poor

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My truck wasn't actually running, it was just cold. And I was on an incline checking it. I just wanted to see the quality of the tranny fluid not quantity. Why did you have your tranny replaced?
I'm surprise you could get any thing to read on the dipstick without running...second question = my transmission blew up...

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
so they did the rest of pcm and no dice so they did the valve body replacement and found it was a quart low on transmission fluid from the factory lol. also center support bearing on driveshaft was bad they replaced it. the truck feels better but its not fixed. first shift from the dealer parking lot had that old lag and jerk to the next gear . they said drive it 500 miles :rolleyes:
Interesting that your support bearing was bad. That bearing really doesn’t do much other than support that shaft. If things are set up right it shouldn’t see much loading. Maybe some axial loading due the axle wrap up but that should be relatively minor. Just by the looks of the bearing it should be able to see a decent amount of misalignment before problems arise. That’s why there’s so much play between the inner and outer races. Did they mention why the bearing failed? Im no auto expert but with all the bearings I’ve installed in industrial applications, 95 percent of the time a bearing goes out it’s due to something other than the bearing being the cause. Maybe an imbalanced drive shaft? I also noticed the mounting holes for the bearing are slightly slotted so maybe the clearance was taken out of one side axially by having the bearing pushed to far one way of the other? Or maybe they’re just cheaping out on bearing materials? Who knows. How’s the truck been riding overall?

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Interesting that your support bearing was bad. That bearing really doesn’t do much other than support that shaft. If things are set up right it shouldn’t see much loading. Maybe some axial loading due the axle wrap up but that should be relatively minor. Just by the looks of the bearing it should be able to see a decent amount of misalignment before problems arise. That’s why there’s so much play between the inner and outer races. Did they mention why the bearing failed? Im no auto expert but with all the bearings I’ve installed in industrial applications, 95 percent of the time a bearing goes out it’s due to something other than the bearing being the cause. Maybe an imbalanced drive shaft? I also noticed the mounting holes for the bearing are slightly slotted so maybe the clearance was taken out of one side axially by having the bearing pushed to far one way of the other? Or maybe they’re just cheaping out on bearing materials? Who knows. How’s the truck been riding overall?
not sure why it was bad so early. but i have seen a few folks have to replace them.

MagnetiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I think however these transmissions are running, they run hot and the oil needs to be replaced more often than what was expected.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I think however these transmissions are running, they run hot and the oil needs to be replaced more often than what was expected.
when i was looking at the data from pro cal mine seemed to run about 210 for casual sunday driving. I dont know if thats how for a transmission or not? something about the ULV fluid seems odd to me. I thought viscosity was a "good" thing lol.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I know a lot of people claim they have no issues with this transmission, but I wonder if that's just because they don't really realize what's going on. Because this seems to be a nearly universal issue with these.
Sponsored