10R80 transmission “stuck” between gears

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Good evening,

My 2022 4x4 Tremor with stock tires and gearing has developed an interesting transmission issue: it seems to get “stuck” between gears at times and no amount of throttle (gentle application or heavy throttle) seems to get it out of this state until the trans decides to apply power again.

Originally I had very hard shifts when cold, neck snapping and unnerving (almost like you got hit by somoene) but a complete “lack of power” is something new that’s cropped up.

At 5-10mph, rolling through a neighborhood, the unit sometimes acts like it’s not even hooked up to the drivetrain, which is dangerous if you have to cross an intersection. The “slip” has now lasted for many seconds and even up to 5-10 seconds while the software (assuming Torque Management) appears to be “limiting” until it can figure out what to do.

What follows is either a hard shift, no shift at all until the next lower gear “catches” due to slowing down from coasting, or a proper re-engagement into gear.

This doesn’t happen when warm, only in the first 5-10 miles of driving.

Has anyone had this exact issue before?
Sponsored

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
Are you using Sport mode? Are you accidentally hitting the manual shift buttons on the shifter? If you tap these twice it goes into manual and can appear to be stuck in a gear.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Good evening,

My 2022 4x4 Tremor with stock tires and gearing has developed an interesting transmission issue: it seems to get “stuck” between gears at times and no amount of throttle (gentle application or heavy throttle) seems to get it out of this state until the trans decides to apply power again.

Originally I had very hard shifts when cold, neck snapping and unnerving (almost like you got hit by somoene) but a complete “lack of power” is something new that’s cropped up.

At 5-10mph, rolling through a neighborhood, the unit sometimes acts like it’s not even hooked up to the drivetrain, which is dangerous if you have to cross an intersection. The “slip” has now lasted for many seconds and even up to 5-10 seconds while the software (assuming Torque Management) appears to be “limiting” until it can figure out what to do.

What follows is either a hard shift, no shift at all until the next lower gear “catches” due to slowing down from coasting, or a proper re-engagement into gear.

Have the dealer check your fluid level. Sounds like it’s under-filled.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Good evening,

we sure have brother. mines at the dealer for it now. several threads about it around 5g. apparently ford has a new pcm update to address the issue. however, if your trucks being doing this a while actual mechanical damage could be an issue and not just a computer thing. good luck.

OP
OP

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
No, I do not use Sport mode. Even then, if you tap the shifter + or - it would show a gear selection on the display.

My 10R80 is actually stuck between gears, as in it tries to shift and the revs go up but the shift doesn’t complete and the computer pulls timing so the throttle pedal has less of an effect while the truck coasts/slows down.

It eventually finds a gear but holy cow, it takes many seconds which is not normal.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's not a fluke and it will not work itself out...get it fixed while you have warranty...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
It just took mine a whole city block to regain propulsion, but went away when warm, so I’m going to have to leave it overnight at the dealer so they can diagnose on a cold start as it doesn’t do this when warm.
mine behaves better when warm also but was gradually getting worse where even the down shifts were jerky.