Question on bed construction

DSoelter

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat supercab 6'
Had bed sprayed by Line-X before delivery, and notice a gap between the corrugated floor and the front of the bed. Appears to be about 1/4" or a bit less, and a potential issue when having something like topsoil or mulch dropped into the bed, or even when hauling yard and construction debris to the dump.

Convoluted answer from the guy at Line-X today didn't do much to instill confidence in his level of knowledge.

At the tailgate end, the corrugation is tapered to a closed end and wondering if anything enters through the gap at the front, where does it end up?

Weather hasn't been conducive to crawling under the truck to see if there is flat steel under that corrugation to trap all that enters the gap or if there is an opening for drainage that would clear it with the truck parked on a slope nose down and rinsed out.

Just seems like a sealed bed shouldn't leave any necessity for concerns like this. Anyone had similar concerns and weather better that here in the northwest lately?

Thanks!
Sponsored

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
the gap at the front of the bed just drains to underneath the vehicle, I'm assuming so it doesn't fill up with water when sitting nose-down.

Deleted member 1634

Yeah, I put an almost empty hot water tank in the bed over the summer with the truck sitting nose down in the yard. After a few minutes I noticed the little bit of water left in the tank was draining out onto the ground near the front of the box.

I don't think it's big enough to allow a noticeable amount of top soil or gravel out of that slot if that's what you were hauling. Maybe a few dribbles, but it's not going to empty the bed by any means.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I noticed it there too, but it seems that the Line-x has pretty much sealed it all up.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Had bed sprayed by Line-X before delivery, and notice a gap between the corrugated floor and the front of the bed. Appears to be about 1/4" or a bit less, and a potential issue when having something like topsoil or mulch dropped into the bed, or even when hauling yard and construction debris to the dump.

Convoluted answer from the guy at Line-X today didn't do much to instill confidence in his level of knowledge.

At the tailgate end, the corrugation is tapered to a closed end and wondering if anything enters through the gap at the front, where does it end up?

Weather hasn't been conducive to crawling under the truck to see if there is flat steel under that corrugation to trap all that enters the gap or if there is an opening for drainage that would clear it with the truck parked on a slope nose down and rinsed out.

Just seems like a sealed bed shouldn't leave any necessity for concerns like this. Anyone had similar concerns and weather better that here in the northwest lately?

Thanks!
Hi Dale,

These slots are to keep the bed draining so it does not become a bath tub...These slots are your friend, not your enemy.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retried

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Another reason why I like drop in bed liners instead of spray in. But.. since Ford's paint isn't durable enough... a drop in liner can't be used without the bed rusting.

If you're worried about top soil and mulch leaking out those small gaps in the front.. take a look at the gap around the tailgate. :shock: Not sure what the hell Ford was thinking?

We really like our Ranger... but there is no arguing that there's room for improvement.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
take a look at the gap around the tailgate. :shock: Not sure what the hell Ford was thinking?
just curious, have you ever had a truck without gaps around the tailgate?
this is my first newer truck, but I owned a 99 dodge dually, a 2000 F250, and a 98? chevy 1500, and any one of those I would need to put a tarp in the bed to keep sand/dirt from leaking out

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
just curious, have you ever had a truck without gaps around the tailgate?
this is my first newer truck, but I owned a 99 dodge dually, a 2000 F250, and a 98? chevy 1500, and any one of those I would need to put a tarp in the bed to keep sand/dirt from leaking out
Who said without gaps?

'65 Chevy C-10, '65 Ford F-100, '72 Chevy C-20, 1985 S-15, '97 Tacoma, '02 Tacoma

Every truck I have ever owned had tighter gaps around the tailgate. Like I said: "We really like our Ranger... but there is no arguing that there's room for improvement."

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Who said without gaps?

'65 Chevy C-10, '65 Ford F-100, '72 Chevy C-20, 1985 S-15, '97 Tacoma, '02 Tacoma

Every truck I have ever owned had tighter gaps around the tailgate. Like I said: "We really like our Ranger... but there is no arguing that there's room for improvement."
There is ALWAYS room for improvement on any vehicle. Like you, I love my new Ranger but there are a few odd points to it - the tailgate gaps would be one of them. I solved that by installing a tailgate seal which has mostly fixed it.

jerrywin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport supercrew
There is ALWAYS room for improvement on any vehicle. Like you, I love my new Ranger but there are a few odd points to it - the tailgate gaps would be one of them. I solved that by installing a tailgate seal which has mostly fixed it.
which seal did you use. Could you add a pic to see how you installed it - at the base, and the sides.
thanks ahead.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
which seal did you use. Could you add a pic to see how you installed it - at the base, and the sides.
thanks ahead.
Same, what seal did you use? I noticed that after my last two trips down the dirt trails around here, the bed is healthily filled with a thick layer of dust.

I've found this one, which seems kind of hobbled together: https://www.amazon.com/ESI-Ultimate-Tailgate-Taper-Ranger/dp/B07YF5BL8M

As well as this list of seals (however each of these specifically say they will *NOT* fit 2011-current Ranger, which is funny since they're listed as Ranger tailgate seal kits. Though I'm not sure why they wouldn't fit given they're universal.): https://realtruck.com/c/exterior-ac...sories/tailgate-seal-kits/v/ford/ranger/2019/

It seems there's a few options out there now, but I'm curious what others have done.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
See Phil the engineers post. Ford has been making pickup trucks forever, millions. So, I doubt if they just willy nilly made the bed gaps the way they are. A few scraps of cardboard, plastic bags etc. when you are carrying fine stuff is no problem.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I used Extang MaxSeal. Worked well. It doesn’t seal 100% but good enough help keep dust and dirt out.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
See Phil the engineers post. Ford has been making pickup trucks forever, millions. So, I doubt if they just willy nilly made the bed gaps the way they are. A few scraps of cardboard, plastic bags etc. when you are carrying fine stuff is no problem.
With both the 99 Ranger I had with a topper and the 04 F-150 I had with the same tonneau cover I have now, I never had the kind of blow by I have now. I don't want it to be completely sealed, but I don't want snow or dirt to fill the bed from the tailgate either.
I used Extang MaxSeal. Worked well. It doesn’t seal 100% but good enough help keep dust and dirt out.
Thanks! I don't need it 100%, just enough to keep the majority of the small stuff out while driving, particularly in dusty conditions.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
With both the 99 Ranger I had with a topper and the 04 F-150 I had with the same tonneau cover I have now, I never had the kind of blow by I have now. I don't want it to be completely sealed, but I don't want snow or dirt to fill the bed from the tailgate either.

Thanks! I don't need it 100%, just enough to keep the majority of the small stuff out while driving, particularly in dusty conditions.
I used the Extang seal as well and it does a good job of keeping most of the dust out. I was amazed at how much dust was getting under my tonneau thru the gaps before I added the seal.
Sponsored