First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
No kidding?! People actually do that? Kinda like putting one's liver in a can so they can drink moreo_O:LOL:
I have heard of people doing that when they have 2 sets of wheels since it would possibly be easier, and cheaper than buying a 2nd set of TPMS sensors. But then again if they don't pay attention to their tire pressures, they could be replacing tires more often, which is much more expensive than another set of TPMS sensors.
Sponsored

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
A little too early for me to judge, but in the first few miles with my LXT XF4 I also noticed a fairly bouncy ride over in city road patches, etc. Then I drove the same roads with my Cherokee Altitude Active Drive II. Same bounce I've had for three yrs.

Same basic issue. I ordered the Jeep's Active Drive II for the low range transfer case -- which included the off road suspension. I had to dealer locate my 2019 Ranger SuperCab. None in our area. My gotta have list was simple: XLT base, trailer tow, locking rear diff., most colors OK. With incentives I got one with the FX4 pkg at a great price. Wife and I are undertall, so I was concerned about the greater ground clearance climbing in, but no problems. But I also knew I would have a stiffer suspension than a std. truck. We will live with it. We don't off road, but the highway ride is fine.

I haven't checked the parts list, but I suspect stiffer springs and matched shocks vs. a std truck. I'll take it. We tow to a summer house across a road that is frequently under water in the spring. The boat will settle the ride down, and the FX4 height will sooth the nerves crossing the lake over the road.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Shortly after driving away from the dealership I had to run an errand to the local home improvement store. While I was there I picked up 200lbs of play sand, because I've never met a truck that didn't handle better in the winter with 200lbs of sand behind the rear wheels.

Sure enough, it calmed down the rear end of the truck significantly. Far less bouncy. As a side benefit about 1/2" of rake is also gone!

This isn't so much a solution as an observation and discussion point. It makes me wonder, however, if a different (less stiff) leaf spring might smooth the ride? The math on Coil springs is so much easier!

-Tom
Interesting. I've added an ARE cap and mine doesn't bounce nearly as much.

I'd have to agree with you that the added weight helps.

IMG_20200105_155641938_HDR.jpg

IdriveG5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
Interesting. I've added an ARE cap and mine doesn't bounce nearly as much.

I'd have to agree with you that the added weight helps.

IMG_20200105_155641938_HDR.jpg
That looks sharp! What model of ARE is that?

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
well I've not noticed fore and aft up and down as much as I've noticed side to side, say when I'm turning into a parking lot at an angle and there is a transition from one surface to another. If I catch it at an angle say turning say 45 degrees and say left front hits first the truck will rock sideways a lot..imo...big time.

Normal ride on the road ride and front to rear bounce improved a lot when I took the 16 pound of overfill out of each tire. :surprised: The side to side in very noticeable though it doesnot roll over too bad in curves, stay pretty flat. If you get on the brakes there is a dive as well as what seems like two feet of pedal travel...:(

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
well I've not noticed fore and aft up and down as much as I've noticed side to side, say when I'm turning into a parking lot at an angle and there is a transition from one surface to another. If I catch it at an angle say turning say 45 degrees and say left front hits first the truck will rock sideways a lot..imo...big time.

Normal ride on the road ride and front to rear bounce improved a lot when I took the 16 pound of overfill out of each tire. :surprised: The side to side in very noticeable though it doesnot roll over too bad in curves, stay pretty flat. If you get on the brakes there is a dive as well as what seems like two feet of pedal travel...:(
As the brakes wore a little my pedal firmed right up. Add 3 lbs of air to the front tires only and a lot of the soggy front feeling goes away.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
I can't exactly agree with that statement. I traded a '17 TRD Pro Tacoma for this Ranger, and that Tacoma had all Fox suspension from the factory. The thing rode amazingly smooth, and that's their top model for off roading. Wouldn't more "bounce" in the suspension make the truck bounce and jump over bumps and rocks? You'd want something that dampens the ride, not bounces it.
Well glad you came over to a Ford Ranger. I too am in the camp that says the ride Is very smooth an controlled! I have FX4 off rd package on my rig an having had many trucks I say this Ranger is exceptional with factory setup. Watch ur tire PSI folks! These are beefy tires esp on FX4 an i found 35-36PSI gave best ride/handling etc.. 38PSI as stated in door jam info is too high (harsher/bouncier) altho do not go below 35psi! Toyota taco TRD guys now in new Rangers should be very pleased. The Taco does NOT ride well at all.

Yamahauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Electric Blue
Why not go below 35 psi? Ford recommended PSI for winter is 30. I would air down further for offroading.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well glad you came over to a Ford Ranger. I too am in the camp that says the ride Is very smooth an controlled! I have FX4 off rd package on my rig an having had many trucks I say this Ranger is exceptional with factory setup. Watch ur tire PSI folks! These are beefy tires esp on FX4 an i found 35-36PSI gave best ride/handling etc.. 38PSI as stated in door jam info is too high (harsher/bouncier) altho do not go below 35psi! Toyota taco TRD guys now in new Rangers should be very pleased. The Taco does NOT ride well at all.
Couple thoughts here. 1) The Ranger's rated payload is 1650# vs 1295# and 1353# for the taco and Colorado respectively. Even w/o our FX4 pkg, that means stiffer springs. 2) When approaching that payload I'm sure as heck going to have those tires up to the decal max, maybe the sidewall max if I I'm hauling heavy and high speed.

Ford and other decals are recommendations for general handling. If you know what you're doing, and careful about it, you can tweak. But loads require higher PSI. Check your trailer's sidewalls for rated load PSI. Mine are 50 PSI.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
The ride in this 2019 FX4 is defiantly a more plush ride, then I had in my 2009 FX4. So far I like the ride, but again I only have
about 300 miles on it and nothing off-road so far ........ time will tell
It only gets better with age/mis so far.. in my experience. Approaching 10k mis an its smooth as vanilla ice cream in ride & esp powertrain etc. Be sure all are using an SN+ rated motor oil! Prevents LSPI . Better overall performance for any TGDI motors.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It only gets better with age/mis so far.. in my experience. Approaching 10k mis an its smooth as vanilla ice cream in ride & esp powertrain etc. Be sure all are using an SN+ rated motor oil! Prevents LSPI . Better overall performance for any TGDI motors.
I got the FX4 pkg not on purpose, but it was on a dealer located SuperCab. With the 2019 year end incentive, I essentially got the package for free, along with a few other goodies/gadgets. All I needed was the locking rear diff., and I got that.

I've no complaints about the ride. Wife and I are height challenged, so any extra suspension height gives a good stretch climbing in. Same climbing into the box. Upside is I keep my tools in the box, and the tailgate folds to a perfect chest level work bench for me.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Couple thoughts here. 1) The Ranger's rated payload is 1650# vs 1295# and 1353# for the taco and Colorado respectively. Even w/o our FX4 pkg, that means stiffer springs. 2) When approaching that payload I'm sure as heck going to have those tires up to the decal max, maybe the sidewall max if I I'm hauling heavy and high speed.

Ford and other decals are recommendations for general handling. If you know what you're doing, and careful about it, you can tweak. But loads require higher PSI. Check your trailer's sidewalls for rated load PSI. Mine are 50 PSI.
Look at the load rating on the tire at full PSI, then look at the GVWR on the ranger. You'll find that the load rating on the tires is much higher than the ranger requires, so you don't need to max out the PSI on the tires. It is not true that the ford decal is for "general handling" -- all the load limits must be rated for the tires as specified on the decal. The pressure is lower simply because tires don't need the same pressure on a 6k pound vehicle as they do on a 10k pound vehicle. E.g., my ranger comes with dynapros with a weight rating of 110, which is 2337 pounds per tire or 9348 pounds total (real numbers are more complicated based on axle ratings and weight distribution, but that's close enough). The ranger can't carry that much, so I never need to have the tire pressure anywhere near the rated max to carry a full load on the tires.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look at the load rating on the tire at full PSI, then look at the GVWR on the ranger. You'll find that the load rating on the tires is much higher than the ranger requires, so you don't need to max out the PSI on the tires. It is not true that the ford decal is for "general handling" -- all the load limits must be rated for the tires as specified on the decal. The pressure is lower simply because tires don't need the same pressure on a 6k pound vehicle as they do on a 10k pound vehicle. E.g., my ranger comes with dynapros with a weight rating of 110, which is 2337 pounds per tire or 9348 pounds total (real numbers are more complicated based on axle ratings and weight distribution, but that's close enough). The ranger can't carry that much, so I never need to have the tire pressure anywhere near the rated max to carry a full load on the tires.
Thanks for the clarification, Mike. ....never too old to learn, although I need to hurry up. ....much more sand in the bottom of my hour glass than in the top.
I like to keep all of my passenger vehicles at least 35 psi, unless the decal allows more. Better fuel economy is my goal. I understand the traction/skid risks, and haven't had problems.
My Ranger's tires are at 42 psi from the dealer. I'm OK with that. It rides fine. I kept my departed '99 Durango at 40. That 318 blunderbuss needed all the mpg help I could give it.