First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Your getting way off topic here. My point is about Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.

I'm curious... have you ever used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? We've used them for years around the house... they have some wicked chemicals in them and their abrasiveness is inversely proportional to how wet they are.

If you are using them to remove marks off of painted surfaces, like a wall in your home, they will easily sand the paint right off the walls. And if you get the Magic Eraser to wet, when you push on it it's like a sponge, and the liquid drips out and has the potential to stain whatever it gets on.

Just a tad bit different than a clay bar.
It's not off topic because you're saying they're abrasive so in that same point so are clay bars and wet sanding.

Yes,I have used magic erasers for many years. I'm a painter by trade and we use them to get the black marks off the lower walls and doors casings left from extension cords and air hoses. I have had some of my guys rub through the finish but it was their fault as they were to lazy to re-wet them or rushing and applying to much pressure...You're not supposed to push on them. Most of the homes we did were custom homes ranging from $750K to over 3 mil. point being they're not just cheap slap together tract housing.

The average homeowner grabs the magic eraser and scrubs the wall and takes the finish off then gets on social media and complains the products junk. If you're using them right they're not going to damage the surface whether it's paint or glass. No need to use it dripping wet but I soak them in water,ring until damp and lightly scrub. The second video shows him applying the glass cleaner to it which is a good idea as it only adds some added lubricant/protection. Trust me I'm more anal an OCD than most and wouldn't use something if I thought it would cause damage but you can find an article now a days online contradicting both sides. I can appreciate your concern but I guess for now we'll just to agree to disagree. I'll stay with what works and have nice streak free windows. :):beer:
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It's not off topic...
My goal here.. to protect Joe Q Public from scratching his windshield and staining his dash... on his brand new truck.

Have you tried this method on your truck yet?

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve done this exact process on my past 4 vehicles just prior to having windshields tinted and have never had any damage occur to glass or dash. The magic eraser part of this cleaning is not something you’d need to do on a regular basis (unless your a heavy smoker I guess) but rather a 1-2 time per vehicles life item. Don’t soak your pad to the point that it drips on dash and no need for any pressure applied. If you want to try the magic eraser but are terribly concerned about dash or plastic being stained just lay some plastic drop cloth up on the dash before you begin

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My goal here.. to protect Joe Q Public from scratching his windshield and staining his dash... on his brand new truck.

Yes I have and it was streak and scratch free. The only pressure I'm using it to basically keep the sponge from falling off my hand. You're only using the sponge to get the greasy film off,mostly from the plastic off gassing. Then you apply your glass cleaner for the final cleaning. Just like claying a vehicle you do not apply any pressure you let the clay (mitt,towel or bar) do the work.

As far as dash staining even if you get a few drips there's nothing thats going to stain it,unless you're a real heavy smoker than in that case...Yuk! I think you're comparing it to washing off walls where you will get some wall paint in the sponge from over scrubbing and that will drip out. If you're driving around with that dirty a windshield you're going to have more problems than a stained dash. lol

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
This is the kind of debate I like where we can get good information from several perspectives. Nice to hear and see ways to improve our vehicle and the risks we can try and avoid if we get overzealous. So many things can do harm if misused. :lipssealed:

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
I did it this morning, the same way the video described, and it worked like a charm. But yes, don't put any pressure (was not needed, just wet the magic eraser, wring the excess water so you reduce the risk of spilling (I had none), and just go with a circular motion over the glass, the smokey film comes right off. Dry straight after and, like in the video, use a glass cleaner to finish it up :)

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This is the kind of debate I like where we can get good information from several perspectives. Nice to hear and see ways to improve our vehicle and the risks we can try and avoid if we get overzealous. So many things can do harm if misused. :lipssealed:
Yes I can see the skepticism if you've never done it before,had a bad experience or have read about one while using a certain product.

The first time I clayed a vehicle I was super nervous as I heard some horror stories about scratching and swirling the finish. I know I used way to much lube but better to be safe than sorry and it came out great!

I've learned a lot on this forum and hope others can learn from some of my posts but if you're the type of person who has no patience and rushes through things I'd let a pro do your detailing. lol

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
CoastieN70, if that is the bird you flew in you are retired by now.
My father retired because he didn't want to go back to school to learn to fix turbines when they phased out the Albatross. 21 years.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Ya'll be very careful using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's very abrasive... and the chemicals are very harsh. No way I'd use it on my new Ranger.
Feel the need to correct this. There are NO chemicals in a standard Magic Eraser. They are nothing more than melamine foam. There's nothing added to them to increase their effectiveness. It all comes from the micro-abrasiveness of the material.

The 'fact' that they contain additional chemicals is oft-repeated and wrong.

Last edited:

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
What oil do you guys recommend? LMAO :bow:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I saw that video a while ago and it does pretty much work. Summer sun was burning chemicals off my dash and fogging the windshield every week. Maybe my microfibers aren't right because it was still a little streaky so I finish it with a pro-level squeegee. My weekend gig is a professional window cleaner.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I saw that video a while ago and it does pretty much work. Summer sun was burning chemicals off my dash and fogging the windshield every week. Maybe my microfibers aren't right because it was still a little streaky so I finish it with a pro-level squeegee. My weekend gig is a professional window cleaner.

Mine were so bad I could barely see through the haze. I just did it this past weekend and it's crystal clear now. I did mine a second time with the Magic Eraser because it was so bad. I always use new or washed microfiber cloths so there's no oils on them. A small squeegee would be perfect but then that's something else I'd have to buy. ?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Super cleaned my windshield inside and out and now I can see all the pits clearly...yay...need an appointment with a rock...?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Super cleaned my windshield inside and out and now I can see all the pits clearly...yay...need an appointment with a rock...?
Sid, if you're still on the original windshield after all those miles I'd say you're doing good. :like: But if you insist I have a good size rock I could help you out.?
Sponsored