Tuson DirecLink Brake Controller Installed

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302
Today I installed a Tuson DirecLink Trailer Brake Controller, model DL-100. I had originally planned on installing the RedArc, but couldn't get past the little button and the different colored LEDs, after towing for years with controllers that had the information screens - I'm getting old and like the info screens.

What I liked about the DirecLink, while researching, was the additional OBDII plug that allows the controller to monitor the vehicle's computer. I figured this was the closest I was going to get to what I had with my factory installed controller on the F250. That system was far superior to any aftermarket controller I ever ran, as the braking was much smoother. One added feature that I really like on the DirecLink is the ability to set BOTH high speed braking AND low speed braking. As good as the factory F250 system was, my only complaint was that I always had to dial down the gain at the end of my trips during the slow speed portion, to keep the trailer brakes from locking up. With this system, I can set up both the high speed and low speed braking adjustments initially, and then forget it.

Remote Unit installed in the dash:
20190504_143245.jpg

The newest Rangers are coming with blue trailer brake wires now:
20190504_103953.jpg

Controller Unit, mounted where it's easy to view the screen information:
20190504_140705.jpg

OBDII plug:
20190504_143503.jpg
Sponsored

Pirategrad

First Name
Clem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Today I installed a Tuson DirecLink Trailer Brake Controller, model DL-100. I had originally planned on installing the RedArc, but couldn't get past the little button and the different colored LEDs, after towing for years with controllers that had the information screens - I'm getting old and like the info screens.

What I liked about the DirecLink, while researching, was the additional OBDII plug that allows the controller to monitor the vehicle's computer. I figured this was the closest I was going to get to what I had with my factory installed controller on the F250. That system was far superior to any aftermarket controller I ever ran, as the braking was much smoother. One added feature that I really like on the DirecLink is the ability to set BOTH high speed braking AND low speed braking. As good as the factory F250 system was, my only complaint was that I always had to dial down the gain at the end of my trips during the slow speed portion, to keep the trailer brakes from locking up. With this system, I can set up both the high speed and low speed braking adjustments initially, and then forget it.

Remote Unit installed in the dash:
20190504_143245.jpg

20190504_103953.jpg

Controller Unit, mounted where it's easy to view the screen information:
20190504_140705.jpg

OBDII plug:
20190504_143503.jpg
Were you able to confirm if it’s working properly and sending power to the brake connector? It seems like those of us installing the Redarc unit are not having success. Please let us know.

Thanks!

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
20190504_103953.jpg

Interesting, we might need to check build date comparisons to see any correlation
My build was 1/31/19 w/ Blue wire.

OP
OP
bandit67

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not road tested yet, but did driveway test it, and braking seems to be working fine - both the signal coming from the pedal and the signal coming from the manual brake override lever. It gives me a real time visual bar graph and numerical braking percentage of the trailer brakes on the controller screen. Also, DirecLink makes it pretty easy to use with a full array of onboard diagnostics, including 7-pin trailer wire connection/no connection, and will alert me to a number of potential issues regarding wiring problems, wiring disconnects/shorts, etc.

Here are some examples of the fault codes that might appear:
System OK OK appears in center of bottom line
NC No trailer plug connection
C Trailer plug is connected
P3, P4, P5 Low Voltage RJ connector low voltage
Blue Wire Short Brake current/signal wire short
OBDII Low Voltage OBDII or DB9 Disconnected
No OBDII Communication
P3, P4, P5 Short RJ connector Short
P3, P4, P5 Overcurrent RJ connector Overcurrent
Control Module Overheating
White Wire Ground Open Ground wire on Delphi Disconnected
Black Low Voltage Black wire on Delphi Disconnected

Pretty easy install overall. Biggest issue is contorting yourself under the dash to get the 4 factory wires spliced into the 4 harness wires.

The OBDII plug reading vehicle computer information is also pretty cool. It utilizes the computer information on vehicle speed, rates of deceleration, etc. to assist in properly applying the trailer brakes to keep the trailer braking as smooth as possible.

OP
OP
bandit67

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE -

I was able to finally give the brake controller a good test today, now that the engine is broken in. I'm really pleased with the DirecLink's performance. Based on how it handled 2500 lbs at such a low setting, I'm confident there is going to be plenty of available brake power for when I have the trailer loaded up to 7,000 lbs. I even have a bit more control than my F250 factory controller (a separate low speed setting), and I really like the readout that shows the trailer braking percentage. The tie-in to the OBD2 port works pretty slick, as you can see it adjusting braking percentage as the vehicle slows, even if you are not as quick to ease the pressure on the brake pedal - the system responds much quicker than I can.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with this setup - it seems that I am going to have more than enough braking power to the trailer, and with a smaller tow vehicle, and occasionally pushing it's towing limits, it's nice to know that I'm going to be able to get the trailer stopped.
Sponsored