Safety Recall 19S43 - Select 2019 MY Ranger Vehicles Rear Lamps Issue

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
Me too!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company Retired
Me THREE!

Everything is working fine so far.

I'm not going to do anything.... "if it ain't broke" :inspect:
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Me THREE!

Everything is working fine so far.

I'm not going to do anything.... "if it ain't broke" :inspect:
If you want to check it yourself, it is the plug just inside the frame about even with the rear edge of the driver's door.

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
If you want to check it yourself, it is the plug just inside the frame about even with the rear edge of the driver's door.
Hey thanks Floyd! I'll crawl under and give it lookie! :like:

Mscaff12

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger lariat
RECALL
REAR TAIL LAMPS
NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING# NHTSA Date:NOV 21, 2019 Ford Recall number: 19S43

Recall Description:REAR TAIL LAMPS

Risk to Safety:INTERMITTENT OR INOPERATIVE TAIL LAMPS CAN RESULT IN LOSS OF STOP, TURN, REAR POSITION, AND REVERSE LAMP FUNCTIONS, WHICH REDUCES THE VEHICLES VISIBILITY AND MAY NOT FULLY ALERT OTHER DRIVERS THAT THE VEHICLE IS BRAKING, TURNING, OR REVERSING, INCREASING THE RISK OF CRASH. THE CENTER HIGH-MOUNTED STOP LAMP (CHMSL) WILL CONTINUE TO FUNCTION.

Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE UNDERBODY INLINE CONNECTOR INSPECTED. IF A LOOSE TERMINAL IS IDENTIFIED, THE TERMINALS WILL BE RE-PINNED INTO A REPLACEMENT CONNECTOR. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD IS EXCLUDING REIMBURSEMENT FOR COSTS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PROGRAM WOULD PROVIDE FOR A FREE REPAIR FOR THIS CONCERN. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.

Manufacturer Notes:TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.
I have not had this issue but might print that recall out and put in my truck in case I have the issue and don't know a tail lights out and get stopped by the police! Might help, might not? To the few here on this forum that have had tail light issues does the truck alert that a tail light is out, or both are out? Or is the alert the flashing lights on the car behind you. Lol
Took mine in for I thought would be a quick fix. Turns out if test fails lamps will no longer work which it Makes it undriveable. Dealer doesn't have the part in stock. So they said it would be a week they would keep the truck. It's been a week so I called and they still dont have the part. If not having a problem maybe wait until they get there crap togather. Recall was on my ford pass for over a month. You think they would be on top of this.

Last edited:

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I received a letter from Ford on this yesterday (been on my Fordpass for quite a while). The letter states that there are no parts available yet and Ford will send another letter to inform you to schedule with your dealer when parts are available. It also states that the problem does not make the vehicle undriveable until it is repaired. One should drive with caution until the recall can be done.

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
I received a letter from Ford on this yesterday (been on my Fordpass for quite a while). The letter states that there are no parts available yet and Ford will send another letter to inform you to schedule with your dealer when parts are available. It also states that the problem does not make the vehicle undriveable until it is repaired. One should drive with caution until the recall can be done.

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
Anyone think the recall letter will serve as a "get out of jail free" if you get pulled over by a LEO?

Mscaff12

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger lariat
I should have waited for the letter. I would have waited. They gave me a Nissan as a rental without all wheel drive and we're supposed to get 6" of snow this weekend lol. One would think that the dealer would of known of this and told me to wait.
I love the Truck and I miss it.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Took mine in for I thought would be a quick fix. Turns out if test fails lamps will no longer work which it Makes it undriveable. Dealer doesn't have the part in stock. So they said it would be a week they would keep the truck. It's been a week so I called and they still dont have the part. If not having a problem maybe wait until they get there crap togather. Recall was on my ford pass for over a month. You think they would be on top of this.
No way they're keeping my Ranger! :punch:

Da Ranger

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Had mine checked yesterday and it was fine. But now the dealer said when I get the second letter that the parts have arrived I have to go back in so they can clear the recall notice since they can’t do it until the recall is official.
I asked the dealer if Ford was paying the tickets or taking it in to the POPO to have it signed off. He had no response.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
As stated above, don't take your truck in to the dealer until they have parts. If they find the harness damaged , then they have to keep it or they are liable.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is really frustrating to me. Opening the plug to check pins is only going to loosen it up and introduce the possibility of bending one again. Or, I can choose to get nagged for the next 15 years and have red alerts all over the Fordpass app. It’s lose-lose.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is really frustrating to me. Opening the plug to check pins is only going to loosen it up and introduce the possibility of bending one again. Or, I can choose to get nagged for the next 15 years and have red alerts all over the Fordpass app. It’s lose-lose.
Hi Daniel,

Agreed...wait for the letter that parts are available, then call the dealer to ensure they have parts "on hand"...not orderable..that they have parts on hand particularly for your vehicle. Then take it in. In the meantime check to see if you have taillights/Brake lights. Not that hard to do..you should be able to hit the Brakes in the driveway and tell if there is a red glow behind you...I use my garage door when closed...So far, so good... However, if parts are available and you do not take your vehicle in for the recall, and haven forbid you have a reaender, I have no idea of the legal aspects but would be worried for the legal ramifications. I will wait until parts are on hand and then take it to the dealer and head to the local sports bar, Coach's for a Montana Burger and a Blue Moon draft...Wife will follow me in the MKX and the drop me off to pick up the inspected/repaired vehicle. I know mine is okay by wiggle test/visual as I inspected it, but have to get the stamp of approval from Ford. JMO....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I heard from a mechanic that said it you are affected it might work, but be really close to not working. I think typically the pin that has a problem is a ground pin. Generally speaking, it seems like if you aren't having problems, you are probably OK. At least that is way I'm handling it. I've never had any trouble with my taillights, so I'm hoping all is good. I'm waiting a bit to have the recall check done.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Unplugging a wire harness is not going to "loosen it up and introduce the possibility of bending one again." The whole reason for the plugs is so that they can be un plugged and plugged back in. I deal with wire harnesses and plugs every single day and it is extremely rare that a pin bends. Usually if a pin gets bent it is because the person doing the work was in a hurry and being careless slamming things together.
Sponsored