All New 2019 Ranger Closes The Year With 89,571 Total Sales; 14,473 Sales In December

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
doesn't look like Tacoma sales were hurt much either. If at all. I think next year the gap will decrease as I'm guessing Ford will sell 135k and Toyota 200k trucks. If I can remember to check this in a years time. haha
Sponsored

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I could see both Toyota starting to fall and GM twins continue to plunge with both the Ranger and gladiator increasing their share. Those two trucks are little long in the tooth

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
Good news. Like I’ve said before the Ranger can’t compete with Toyota if their price is similar. With the incentives though it pushes the Ranger ahead of the Taco. I was one of those Dec people!

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good news. Like I’ve said before the Ranger can’t compete with Toyota if their price is similar. With the incentives though it pushes the Ranger ahead of the Taco. I was one of those Dec people!
I believe the Ranger & Gladiator are going to really pull sales away from the Tacoma in the next year. Most people/reviewers like the Ranger's power train over the tacoma. These 3 truck look good and are good off-road. People now have 2 new mid-size trucks to choose from. Toyota had a very modest 1.3% increase (sold an additional 3K more trucks) in and market segment that saw a 21.9% increase over last year. The GM twins will probably take an even bigger hit this up coming year.

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
I believe the Ranger & Gladiator are going to really pull sales away from the Tacoma in the next year. Most people/reviewers like the Ranger's power train over the tacoma. These 3 truck look good and are good off-road. People now have 2 new mid-size trucks to choose from. Toyota had a very modest 1.3% increase (sold an additional 3K more trucks) in and market segment that saw a 21.9% increase over last year. The GM twins will probably take an even bigger hit this up coming year.
I agree except for the Gladiator. It’s just way over priced to really compete. If they start knocking the price down then maybe but it’s crazy what there trying to sell those things for.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

I agree at least for now.

Taco didn't leave and the Ranger is new here so there are still allot of unknowns.
Some people wont jump on a new vehicle period and other wont unless it is a real good deal.

I also think the whole midsized market is over priced to begin with and would not pay even close to sticker for any of them..

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I agree except for the Gladiator. It’s just way over priced to really compete. If they start knocking the price down then maybe but it’s crazy what there trying to sell those things for.
It's a blow to toyota's high-end, high-margin off-road targeted products. the gladiator isn't that much more than a loaded tacoma trd pro, but does add a bunch of stuff you can't get on the toyota.

I also think the whole midsized market is over priced to begin with and would not pay even close to sticker for any of them..
Midsize trucks are no more or less overpriced than any other vehicles. You aren't going to see dramatically cheaper options because nobody would buy the result.

I Truck Naked

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Jaguar / Land Rover Senior Technician
I'd been eyeing the Ranger for a while to replace both my 2017 F150 & 2019 Mustang... and the incentives around black Friday / Christmas time were finally at that tipping point to make me jump. My $35k truck was marked down to $26k, so I'm one of those December sales.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Midsize trucks are no more or less overpriced than any other vehicles. You aren't going to see dramatically cheaper options because nobody would buy the result.
I am going to respectably disagree and I know some of the dealers think the same. They think Ford overpriced the Ranger.
A guy I know who I have bought a few Fords from and who is now manger of a Ford dealer. Well actually he just quit.
He basically took me and said why would anyone buy this when they could buy this for the same money.
I said because not everyone wants that large of a vehicle. We had a little discussion about it but with the rebates to me it was a great buy. Now they do not need 6100.00 in rebates but 500.00 is not going to be enough..

I waited to buy a Ranger and the only reason I did was because of the rebates because I thought it was over priced.
I am guessing these numbers also show that the Ranger is over priced because that was a pretty good jump in numbers of sales with the rebates. 500 to 1000 dollars and the Ranger sales were not nearly as good.

I also predict the Taco prices to come down with the new plant opening up in Mexico and the plant expansion in Texas. Market is going to be Flooded.

Also more competition from Nissan if they can actually launch their new small truck and also in the future with the Dodge Dakota..

I think the midsized market pricing will get more aggressive the next few years,

It is all my opinion though. and time will tell..

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Trucks and SUV's have always had high profit margins for companies so yes they are all overpriced - if you want to talk overprice take a look at Wranglers. Right now the demand for mid-sizes trucks are growing. Here is the cost of a base crew cab truck 4x4 and 4x2 - here are the results:

Ranger - $32,055 - 26,700
Colorado $32,795 - 26,700
Taco - $33,405 - 26,680
Gladiator - $35,040 - n/a
Ridgeline - $36,385 - 29,990

As you can see they are all pretty much priced at the same price so to say the Ranger is overpriced over the others is not true. Did those December incentives help - oh yes that is why I flipped out of Jeep to a new truck.

Here is why I believe Ranger will move up the charts in 2020 -

1. Its a comfortable truck to drive and ride for most people - one complaint about the Taco is the driving sitting position.

2. The engine and transmission combo - this truck has some awesome get up and go - the biggest complaint about the Taco's is the sluggish performance.

To me the big battle will come when everyone refreshes their trucks in 2021/22

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am going to respectably disagree and I know some of the dealers think the same. They think Ford overpriced the Ranger.
So what, based on the dealers expertise, makes the ranger cost $5k less to build than an f150?

Dealers love the "bigger is better" view of cars because it lets them charge insane amounts of money for oversized vehicles, but it doesn't actually mean that if you make a truck that's a little smaller it's going to cost less.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
So what, based on the dealers expertise, makes the ranger cost $5k less to build than an f150?

Dealers love the "bigger is better" view of cars because it lets them charge insane amounts of money for oversized vehicles, but it doesn't actually mean that if you make a truck that's a little smaller it's going to cost less.

Proof is in the sales #'s and the rebates on what people think the Ranger is worth. As the rebates got larger sales picked up.

Ford thought they could launch at a higher price and they would sell. Ford thought there was all this pent up demand which wasn't there.
Watch most of the review videos and what do they say about the Ranger, it is too expensive.
What it cost to make does matter but really what matters is what people are willing to pay.

Also to the comment above not many pay sticker price for a vehicle. Incentives can make a huge difference in price of a vehicle.

My Colorado Z71 and my Ranger both had close to the same sticker price and I paid just a little less for my Ranger.

Do I think the Ranger can be priced the same as the Taco yes eventually but first you need to get these truck on the road and create some buzz. Once reliability is know more people will have more confidence in the Ranger. Also the general public is not as informed as those on the forums and they do not know half this stuff. they have no idea the Ranger was still being made either.

Some will buy a Taco or Ranger no matter the price and some wont.

Anyway I am done with this conversation because we will just be going round and round. You can have the last word. We are both entitled to our own opinion.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Proof is in the sales #'s and the rebates on what people think the Ranger is worth. As the rebates got larger sales picked up.
Sure, except that they sold like 70+k of them at the price you keep saying they can't and another 10k+ after they introduced the large end of year rebates you keep saying that they can't sell without. :rolleyes: I get that some people like you and your dealer want the ranger to be cheaper. I don't see the economics working out that way and you keep dodging the question of what would make the ranger $5k (or $2k or $10k or whatever) cheaper to build than the f150. Plenty of other people seem to think that the price is reasonable and are willing to pay more at the beginning of the model year than at the end of the model year. (Which is kinda just how car sales work most of the time.)
Sponsored