First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
So far I love my Ranger! And this forum is helping me discover many things about it. It is likely going to drain my bank account with all the mods I have planned. Let's get into some clever hacks, silly or useful, cheap or not so cheap, that you have used or done to your Ranger to make life easier.

The Ranger is slightly longer than I anticipated. With the overhead door closed I can barely open the man door to leave my garage. We all know the trick to hang a tennis ball from a string so you can drive into your garage and stop in the perfect spot. Well now with reverse cams we can take that one step further. I painted a small docking station on my garage floor. Now I park in the exact spot I want every time.

20191005_202613.jpg
20191005_200924.jpg
Sponsored

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
Absolute genius!

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Turns out you can completely unassemble the Ford logos on grill and tailgate. I wanted to paint mine black and white.
20191005_101408.jpg
20191005_101344.jpg

Side by side comparison, I love how it looks vs. stock Ford nameplate.

20191005_133142.jpg
20191005_133203.jpg

How does the tailgate one come off?

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Nice idea for the 'docking spot'. If I backed my truck in, I would consider following your lead.
If only there was a way to turn the backup camera on while moving forward, then we (those that drive forward into the garage) could use the OP's clever 'docking spot'.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
If only there was a way to turn the backup camera on while moving forward, then we (those that drive forward into the garage) could use the OP's clever 'docking spot'.
Make sure the camera delay is turned on. Get really close to where you think you should be, put it in reverse to activate the camera and adjust accordingly. The delay should be on long enough (yes, even in drive for those that don't know) to make necessary corrections.

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure the camera delay is turned on. Get really close to where you think you should be, put it in reverse to activate the camera and adjust accordingly. The delay should be on long enough (yes, even in drive for those that don't know) to make necessary corrections.
I recently learned about the camera delay on this forum. I discovered my 2015 Fusion also has that delay feature and I turned it on. Not sure if the delay is long enough for this purpose. I fear I would rush the docking procedure and crash into the wall! :crying:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I recently learned about the camera delay on this forum. I discovered my 2015 Fusion also has that delay feature and I turned it on. Not sure if the delay is long enough for this purpose. I fear I would rush the docking procedure and crash into the wall! :crying:
I’m pretty sure it’s a speed related delay, not timed. As long as you just creep forward I think you will be fine! I love the delay for parking in a lot with lines. It makes it easy to pull through, stop where you think you want to be then put the truck reverse. If you need to move up or back a little the screen stays on either way.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m pretty sure it’s a speed related delay, not timed. As long as you just creep forward I think you will be fine! I love the delay for parking in a lot with lines. It makes it easy to pull through, stop where you think you want to be then put the truck reverse. If you need to move up or back a little the screen stays on either way.
You just taught me something about my Fusion (and my future Ranger) that I did not know. I found this in the Fusion's owner's manual:

Rear Camera Delay
When shifting the transmission out of reverse (R) and into any gear other than park (P), the camera image remains in the display until your vehicle speed reaches 5 mph (8 km/h) or until you select the radio button.​

Thanks!

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
You just taught me something about my Fusion (and my future Ranger) that I did not know. I found this in the Fusion's owner's manual:

Rear Camera Delay
When shifting the transmission out of reverse (R) and into any gear other than park (P), the camera image remains in the display until your vehicle speed reaches 5 mph (8 km/h) or until you select the radio button.​

Thanks!
No problem, happy to help! I had no idea about it until a week or two when I saw it mentioned elsewhere here.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I use dual laser parking aids...much better than tennis balls

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Pan1.jpg
Thanks for posting this, I picked one up for myself and so far I love it. I pointed both lasers at my truck and was thinking about picking another one up for my Mustang or maybe ill share a laser with it down the road :).
A04E4C0A-7EED-472B-8FFA-F5264F250541.jpeg

Last edited:

todorakiggg

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 biturbo
Parking laser is quite neat, but I found something else to do the same job :). Just a bag full of sand. My garage is quite tight, I have an inch on both sides of the ranger when parked, otherwise can't close the door.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Parking laser is quite neat, but I found something else to do the same job :). Just a bag full of sand. My garage is quite tight, I have an inch on both sides of the ranger when parked, otherwise can't close the door.
Do you just put it on the floor and drive until you hit it?