Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
A few weeks ago, my 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with only 21K miles, displayed two messages on my dash. “Front Camera Fault - Service Required” and “Pre-Collision Assist Not Available”. The front camera is used to detect vehicles or objects that are in front of you to help prevent an accident. This camera fault also prevents the cruise control from working. If anyone knows someone with a Ford Ranger and they have these messages, please let them know to contact the NHTSA-(National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) @ 1-888-327-4236. I have opened a case with them and unless more people report their faulty vehicles, they can’t open an investigation. Thanks and feel free to share.
IMG_3083.gif

It happened to me and there was nothing faulty that warranted filing a complaint.

That warning could be a number of things, including a fuse issue, loose harness connection, or even mice chewing on the wiring harness for the pre-collision system.

My first action was to look under my hood and I found the issue. If I hadn’t, my next move would be to consult the Owner’s Manual to find the related fuse. If that didn’t pinpoint the issue, I would check this great forum for information. If that didn’t get me back on the road safely, my only call would be to set up an appointment with my Ford Service Dealer, certainly not the gov’t.

Imagine how silly I would have felt if I contacted the NHTSA to open a complaint and then found out that mice did this

IMG_3532.jpeg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Well, all fuses were checked as well as the wiring, the windshield was cleaned and I took it to the dealer where the service manager connected a code reader and no fault codes were detected. Service manager informed me that it is likely a faulty image module, since they’ve already had to change a few to fix similar problems. You are welcome to feel silly all that you want. I was simply trying to be helpful by sharing my information. By the way, I have to wait 5 weeks for my spot at my dealership. Oh, something else to mention, FORD Customer Service directed me to contact the NHTSA.
Maybe start with these kinds of details next time.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
He's talking about the reader in front of the rearview mirror that handles the lane keeping and collision warnings

It's not as fancy as your cameras, buddy
camera
noun
cam·era ˈkam-rə
ˈka-mə-rə

a
: a device that consists of a lightproof chamber with an aperture fitted with a lens and a shutter through which the image of an object is projected onto a surface for recording (as on a photosensitive film or an electronic sensor) or for translation into electrical impulses (as for television broadcast)

Ford calls that sensor a camera?! 😆

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
camera
noun
cam·era ˈkam-rə
ˈka-mə-rə

a
: a device that consists of a lightproof chamber with an aperture fitted with a lens and a shutter through which the image of an object is projected onto a surface for recording (as on a photosensitive film or an electronic sensor) or for translation into electrical impulses (as for television broadcast)

Ford calls that sensor a camera?! 😆
It also reads speed limit signs!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
IMG_3083.gif

It happened to me and there was nothing faulty that warranted filing a complaint.

That warning could be a number of things, including a fuse issue, loose harness connection, or even mice chewing on the wiring harness for the pre-collision system.

My first action was to look under my hood and I found the issue. If I hadn’t, my next move would be to consult the Owner’s Manual to find the related fuse. If that didn’t pinpoint the issue, I would check this great forum for information. If that didn’t get me back on the road safely, my only call would be to set up an appointment with my Ford Service Dealer, certainly not the gov’t.

Imagine how silly I would have felt if I contacted the NHTSA to open a complaint and then found out that mice did this

IMG_3532.jpeg
Yeah, only time I've had those warnings was because of snow or ice on my windshield I didn't completely clean off. I ignored them and the warming cabin temps eventually cleared the rest.

I think you'd better send the feds after those little varmints you've got.

trmkars

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.project395.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT Stuff
Vehicle Showcase
Same issue with my 2020 Ranger XLT. I think it started around 5k or 6k miles. Now with 68k miles - it is still an issue. I will call the number.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Unfortunately, the displayed messages are generic. the only way to truly troubleshoot this is to have the code active when you plug in the scan tool and hopefully pull a code to find the specific reason for the message.
The IPMA is receiving (com) data from the CCM and ABS, any slight glitch will trip the IPMA off and generate the message.
With a Key-Cycle and the fault resets and no code history of the fault.

The system is temperamental to Frost / Snow

1. The CCM - has to be clean (mounted on lower front bumper)
2. The IPMA - has to have a clear view, the internal heater on the windshield has to work, there is a small heating element that keeps the internal windshield (defogged) in the small view port of the camera.
3. There may be an external factor causing a distortion on the exterior side of the windshield at the view port of the camera. (Ice, Snow, Frost, Heavy Rain and RAIN-X, 303 or WAX)

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Holly Frap...you want me to read the entire manual? 😆
It would take less time than reading your build thread. đŸ€Ł