First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor Supercrew
Occupation
Engineer / Project Manager
Few pics from a trip this week to Usal Beach via Usal Road, in Northern California.

Usal Beach is unique in that it's one of the only beaches you can camp on with a vehicle in Northern California (although please do not literally camp on the sand, there are established campsites right at the edge of the forest, and it's far less windy).

It's also the only vehicle access to California's Lost Coast during the winter, an area comprised of both Sinkyone Wilderness State Park and privately managed wilderness areas with very limited public entry.

Although the road itself from Highway 1 to Usal Beach is rather benign in terms of technical challenge, and in the dry summer months you could make it in a passenger car (although quite uncomfortably), in the rainy winter months it is a bit more challenging and deters most of the people in their Honda Fits.

Add in high winds and nightly temperatures that often drop into the 20's, and you'll usually find it nearly empty from Nov-March beyond a few backpackers doing the Lost Coast Trail.

It's generally possible in 2WD with the rear diff locked and some decent A/T tires in the winter months, although if its gale storm weather, the sections of steep clay and exposed redwood roots can turn into waterfalls and require 4WD (or even Low once in a blue moon). Ground clearance is the biggest issue as there are certain areas with exposed features, and also some water crossings / large puddles that can exceed 3ft deep.

The primary allure here is not the technical challenge but the uninterrupted beauty, as the majority of the road crawls through old growth redwood forests, exploding out onto epic coastal vistas with crashing waves below, not a single structure or light as far as you can see. I spent 2 days exploring beyond the campground and saw only a single other vehicle near the entrance from the highway.

In the summer months, the road opens from Usal Beach all the way to Shelter Cove, yielding the true sections where, beyond a motorcycle or two, you generally won't see anyone for 50 miles. If there are any summer rainstorms, there are a couple sections beyond Usal Beach that can be nearly impassable depending on road conditions, even in 4LO.

DSC04614A.JPG

DSC04623A.JPG

DSC04629A.JPG

DSC04668A.JPG

DSC04674A.JPG

DSC04683A.JPG

DSC04685A.JPG

DSC04689A.JPG

DSC04696A.JPG

DSC04708A.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raacerx

Raacerx

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A man with a fly rod is a brother to me!!!
Couldn't help tossing the 4wt out early morning; Usal Creek can be great for some 8-10" strong rainbows, but the water was crazy clear and slow pools were icing, so they didn't want to move.

I was swinging my spey for steelhead later that day on the South Fork Eel River, but again, water clarity was just way too clear and cold, I was too far up river.

IMG_5004.jpg

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Beautiful pics

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Sounds like a pretty awesome place to fish and hike and just chill!!!!! thanks for sharing.

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
Thanks for the memories. When I was 15 (1972) I spent a summer working on a salmon fishing boat out of Fort Bragg. Stunningly beautiful country! ?

Last edited:

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
Couldn't help tossing the 4wt out early morning; Usal Creek can be great for some 8-10" strong rainbows, but the water was crazy clear and slow pools were icing, so they didn't want to move.

I was swinging my spey for steelhead later that day on the South Fork Eel River, but again, water clarity was just way too clear and cold, I was too far up river.

IMG_5004.jpg

I do some Atlantic Salmon fishing near Ted Williams former camp on the Miramichi River here in New Brunswick, but mostly trout fishing in the South of the province. I'm on the river 5 days a week from April to September.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raacerx

Raacerx

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Beautiful pics
Thanks! Brought my little backup Sony A6000 with a Sony 28mm F2 wide angle lens.

Sounds like a pretty awesome place to fish and hike and just chill!!!!! thanks for sharing.
I've heard many stories about it getting super crowded and rather rowdy as for many years there was almost no patrols, but honestly I'm almost always the only vehicle there, I stay off the sand, and there are tons of other areas to explore that are separated from the beach.

Thanks for the memories. When I was 15 (1972) I sent a summer working on a salmon fishing boat out of Fort Bragg. Stunningly beautiful country! ?
Very cool! Can't wait for salmon season to open!

OP
OP
Raacerx

Raacerx

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wow! Added to my to do list! Thanks for posting. I never go west of the Mississippi without a 4wt rod.
This was the first time I've broken out the 4wt in months, I can't put down the two handed stuff.

Raygunn

First Name
Reagon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Building Automation
It is good to see the Ranger in its natural habitat!
Sponsored