First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think looks are the most important thing really. What drew your eye to it originally? Do you want to see some ugly pile of crap every day? I mean practicality and intelligence are required but there has to be balance.
Looks (for me) account for at least 50%. The the rest is divided up between the drivetrain, comfort, and functionality
Sponsored

HippoTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Carbonized Gray Ranger Tremor
This is the big one for me. They're damaging an important aspect of functionality (visibility) for the sake of an aesthetic. And I don't even particularly like the aesthetic.

And to add insult to injury, they then brag about it being wider. Because everyone who bought a 5g was thinking, "man, if only this thing were two inches wider". So instead of a midsize that's 5.7 inches narrower than a 1995 F150, you get one that's 3.7 inches narrower than a 1995 F150. They're designing this thing for the automotive press, not customers.
To add to this, the F150 has basically turned into a minivan at this point. Short bed with a huuuuge cab. So far the EV trucks I've seen go even further down the "should have bought a minivan but wanted a truck" design path.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger WildTrak
Occupation
I could tell you, but then I’d have to….
That confirms it. No side steps in the rear bumper.
They're on the Gen 6 out here on certain models. The XLT is one step above the base model trim here so it’s going to be pretty basic.

11E051A8-AAA9-44DD-A219-156370923E40.jpeg

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Should be a 5.5G. More interior updates it seems then anything.
Going on the Gen 6 out here it’s pretty new from the ground up. The interior is completely new with all sorts of advancements. The truck itself is wider, even in non Raptor variants as well as longer and taller. Lots of other changes as well.

I’ve been reminding folks I’ve chatted with not to judge it based on the XLT alone. It’s one step above the base model here. As you work your way up the trim lines you’re getting improvements as expected. My WildTrak is most compare with a Tremor there… looks completely different than the XLT they’re showing in the article…

47A84C75-5B6B-4E90-A6D5-7B8FCC5AD70B.jpeg

9C6D3493-3D4E-431A-8105-E78A97931809.jpeg

1D3D8991-98E4-4A37-967D-6FE475CFE8A6.jpeg

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
oh trust me i never fully understood the full size truck thing lol ive always had mid size or smaller trucks

idk how to explain it on why sleek has something to do with it but its body lines just look foreign like it belongs in Australia and not here in the us idk how to explain it really lol
They're becomming quite common over here now, at first I wasn't sure about the looks either, but they do grow on you when you see them in the metal vs a pic. You got ripped on the rear step though. Don't know why they left that out. Also we don't get the ecoboost 4 at all. 2.0 diesel, 3.0 V6 diesel, or 3.0 V6 petrol in the Raptor. Interestingly the Vdub Amarock version which will soon be released here DOES get the ecoboost 4 as an option. Maybe Ford are letting them try it out to see if it sells here, at no cost to them if it doesn't.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
They're on the Gen 6 out here on certain models. The XLT is one step above the base model trim here so it’s going to be pretty basic.

I saw your post in the Gen 6 forum ( congrats nice truck BTW) and noticed the number plate and recognized the places you said you had tested it out. So I can guess where you work - maybe not quite what you do - so does this mean - the men in black will visit me?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

I like it. But see it getting packed with mud and snow/ice. Also might be a bit far forward steping off the tailgate to it. I like my TrekStep as it it more along the side of the tailgate and spits the difference between the tailgate and ground better.

Now for the rest of this thread.

I still ask why does the Ranger have to keep getting bigger? Why do any trucks have to keep getting bigger? I saw on the 6G forum someone wishing for 48" between the wheel wells. If you want to do full-size truck things, buy a full-size truck! This business of getting bigger an inch or two at a time is ridiculous. Goes for bigger more powerful, faster motors too. Why, just because we can? It is a truck not a dragster. If you want that, build it, don't expect the manufacturer to do it for you.

One other thing. You want all the bells and whistles the big fancy full-size trucks have, and then compain about the cost. Also, anytime something isn't just the way you'd like it, it's Ford being "cheap". No it is Ford, like every other business. trying to maintain a price point you will pay. Do you really think it is that must cheaper to build a Ranger than an F150, with the same features, just because its a mid-size? Would you pay 60-80K for a Ranger?

End of rant. I'll be quiet now.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I like it. But see it getting packed with mud and snow/ice. Also might be a bit far forward steping off the tailgate to it. I like my TrekStep as it it more along the side of the tailgate and spits the difference between the tailgate and ground better.

I still ask why does the Ranger have to keep getting bigger? Why do any trucks have to keep getting bigger? I saw on the 6G forum someone wishing for 48" between the wheel wells. If you want to do full-size truck things, buy a full-size truck! This business of getting bigger an inch or two at a time is ridiculous. Goes for bigger more powerful, faster motors too. Why, just because we can? It is a truck not a dragster. If you want that, build it, don't expect the manufacturer to do it for you.

One other thing. You want all the bells and whistles the big fancy full-size trucks have, and then compain about the cost. Also, anytime something isn't just the way you'd like it, it's Ford being "cheap". No it is Ford, like every other business. trying to maintain a price point you will pay. Do you really think it is that must cheaper to build a Ranger than an F150, with the same features, just because its a mid-size? Would you pay 60-80K for a Ranger?

End of rant. I'll be quiet now.
Yes I do think that a lot of people don't get that point, it costs almost as much to BUILD a small truck as it does a big one, the cost is in the plant and labour, the material cost is only slightly more for a couple of inches in each direction. And you're also right if it was built like a Porsche it would cost as much as a Porsche and no one but Porsche buyers would buy it. Mercedes tried that over here and apart from a few cashed up bogan buyers it was a sales flop. - It was a really nice truck though..
And adding in crap that most us never use because some halfwit motoring journalist said wow Ford is cheap, last week I drove XXX brand and it had a self self service bar, automatic cup holders, gold plated door handles, and thought controlled HVAC's. I'd rather just save the money and have Ford put it into a sturdier frame and drive train.
I can pour my own drinks, chrome plated or painted suits me just fine, and I'm quite capable of moving a lever or pushing a button to turn on my aircon.

Oh yes and over here we DO pay 60-80K for a ranger! Albeit in AUD, which is roughly the same as CAD.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I keep wondering why these "spy" shots of the US version look so much worse to me. I keep looking at the "official" shots of the ROW model and then these spy spots of the supposed US version - while they are similar, something about the US version just looks weird to me - out of proportion or something. Maybe it is just the way those photos were taken, but I don't think so. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but I think the ROW model looks better. Maybe it will change once they "officially" release it in NA. I certainly hope so. I was hoping for a front end more like the raptor and the 5G NA version with a split bumper - I think that looks WAY better than the integrated, molded bumper.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I keep wondering why these "spy" shots of the US version look so much worse to me. I keep looking at the "official" shots of the ROW model and then these spy spots of the supposed US version - while they are similar, something about the US version just looks weird to me - out of proportion or something. Maybe it is just the way those photos were taken, but I don't think so. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but I think the ROW model looks better. Maybe it will change once they "officially" release it in NA. I certainly hope so. I was hoping for a front end more like the raptor and the 5G NA version with a split bumper - I think that looks WAY better than the integrated, molded bumper.
Member @carmaker1 on the 6G forum said this in this post here.

That's exactly what the deal is, M-1s are usually first built right after we lockdown the styling of production design with engineering or as I love to describe, "design freeze". They have the production underbody, but the "tophat" (body+interior) is not important and unrepresentative of the final design at that point.
If true it's hopeful this isn't the final body design that we're seeing right now and they'll look more like the 2 piece Raptor front. But seeing as the others are going with this one piece design I'm not holding my breath it will.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
To add to this, the F150 has basically turned into a minivan at this point. Short bed with a huuuuge cab. So far the EV trucks I've seen go even further down the "should have bought a minivan but wanted a truck" design path.
truth!

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
Although I have no information to back my opinion up....I just don't see this bodywork (style) making it as a NA model for the 6g.

If you catch up on a few other articles on Ford Authority's website you'll see that Ford has been testing models in Michigan that are/have been exclusive to the European and Asian markets.....see articles on testing next gen nautilus and recent article on the testing of the Ford Evos in and around Michigan.

While it wouldn't shock me if the 6g design came to fruition (because weird things happen) I can't see it .....I see the design for the 6g XL,XLT,Lariat as shown on the ROW ranger raptor and the NA Ranger Raptor probably with a more performance oriented type front bumper design ....think current bumper styling of a 2023 F150 Tremor and a 2023 F150 Raptor and see their variation.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

I still ask why does the Ranger have to keep getting bigger? Why do any trucks have to keep getting bigger?
I haven't noticed the steps filling up with anything so far. My initial shakedown cruise ended up covering just about every type of terrain and every condition short of snow/ice, including some of the nastiest, stickiest mud I've ever seen after doing some river crossings and climbing out the embankments. Last time I went exploring I got caught in a wicked storm and had to traverse extensive mud roads and flooded clay pans. Slung mud everywhere... nothing in the step pockets.

As for the size, when I said bigger, it's not likely noticeably so unless you really checked. It's maybe 2 inches wider and 2 inches longer. I'd have to google to be sure of the exact specs.

With that little bit of growth, it allowed for a much better cabin. More shoulder and leg room. Wider, more comfortable seats. More leg room in the back seat. The ability of the back seat to have more of an angle to it instead of being straight vertical. While that size adds to the "experience" it doesn't impact its drivability. Easy to drive, easy to park, easy to navigate the narrow streets here in town as well as the rough, overgrown trails. It's still highly maneuverable and the extra size is still covered well with the engine options. No issue moving it around.

Now for the rest as you said. The other good thing is there are multiple options to choose from, much like on the Bronco. Multiple trim lines and then multiple options within each trim. Then multiple factory supported and true aftermarket options to really make it your own. I can officially say there is nothing at all cheap about the way this truck was equipped, or built. I looked at multiple trim lines before I bought mine and the quality was evident throughout each one, whether it was the base model, the Raptor, or anything in between. It did not seem to be impacted in any way, shape, or form by supply chain issues or other constraints. Buy what you like. Build what you like. The options are yours.

The other good thing is the difference in release dates for the Gen 6. We'll get a couple years to shake it down out here allowing them to get the bugs worked out before it gets there to ya'll. That way it's not like buying the first year of a new model. Thus (hopefully) reducing complaints.

Of course, there's always going to be those who aren't happy with anything. But, as the saying goes, f**k 'em.

Last edited:

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I saw your post in the Gen 6 forum ( congrats nice truck BTW)
Thanks!! It's been a great little truck so far!!!

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Thanks!! It's been a great little truck so far!!!
You're going to miss that smooth diesel power and fuel economy when you go back. Maybe they'll let you take it with you? Don't know what the US rules are about RHD cars.
In Aus you can register and drive any LHD vehicle as longs as it is >30 years old.
Sponsored