What did you do to your Ranger today?

Loki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
I.T.
Got my truck back with the new fender Friday (already have to go back, they missed wheeling a section out and it feels like sandpaper), and just got done putting in the dash trim kit, Grey birdseye maple - interior seemed like too much black plastic and I wanted to break it up a little.
5B4E5324-3A3C-416B-81D4-B0893C73E786.jpeg
E85DB8F6-1B0F-4C36-8FD3-F9BFFA9541EB.jpeg
FD147CA3-91EE-4CBD-8A64-E39473C5FB10.jpeg
7078603B-542F-4978-A76B-854BF4AF03E8.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Very sad day seeing Big Blue being hauled away on a flat bed. At least a jump box got him started so he could drive up on his own power. Got a 9:30 appointment with the dealer tomorrow morning. Think its the first time he's been away overnight.

On a side note the tow truck driver was really impressed and loved the Lightening Blue color.
Just heard back from dealer nothing definate yet. Running battery on their tester overnight. That needs to flunk it before Ford will replace.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Just heard back from dealer nothing definate yet. Running battery on their tester overnight. That needs to flunk it before Ford will replace.
Overnight? They (Ford) must be getting cheap now as they did mine as I waited. I think I was there maybe 45 minutes and out the door. Good luck Lee and hopefully it fails. I know most times you don't want to hear those words but in this case it'll be nice.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
Good luck with the failure! (hope that came out right!)

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overnight? They (Ford) must be getting cheap now as they did mine as I waited. I think I was there maybe 45 minutes and out the door. Good luck Lee and hopefully it fails. I know most times you don't want to hear those words but in this case it'll be nice.
They finally started it late in the day so they decided to let it run and check the printout in the morning.

Venom_z89

First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician
got home from work, and there was and is some light out still so I took advantage. got the new grill swapped in. It was fairly quick took about 30 minutes broke no tabs on the original grill. Now that I look at the red on the grill installed it don't look too bad. I need to remake my light bar since luckily I had it because wife ran into something idk what and she denies it but she did it good. it saved the truck though from any damage and lights were ok.

20220727_184118.jpg

20220727_191735.jpg

20220727_192019.jpg

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Kind of fleshing out the "tunnel" to link the rear console to the floor platform guts. Pardon the mess in the back, it gets this way when I start getting into ideas.

100_0026.JPG

Kind of see the idea coming together. The green X's are where my gas strut hatches will be reinstalled.

sketch.jpg
Little more wiring work this evening while I wait for the herculiner to dry on some new pieces of wood.

IMG_20220727_223449.jpg

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Ford ASSET Instructor - Program Director
got home from work, and there was and is some light out still so I took advantage. got the new grill swapped in. It was fairly quick took about 30 minutes broke no tabs on the original grill. Now that I look at the red on the grill installed it don't look too bad. I need to remake my light bar since luckily I had it because wife ran into something idk what and she denies it but she did it good. it saved the truck though from any damage and lights were ok.

20220727_191735.jpg
Time to paint the hooks to match.
This is a perfect match:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LW904B8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Venom_z89

First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician
I thought about doing that too, but that I think would be a bit much for me. I work on forklifts and have plenty of red industrial spray paint that is crazy hard almost cures like a powder coat. idk I may keep thinking about it though now that you put the seed back in my head. i attached a pic of the cargo tie downs I did paint red

20211220_163800.jpg

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Put tailgate dampener's on the trucks. What a difference! Easy install...
tailgate.jpg

I should also point out that this is the cheapest single upgrade that gives the greatest improvement of any mod I have ever performed on a truck! for 25 bucks... cant beat it. I use my bed a lot, though. Its my mobile work bench.
Wait till you bury your foot in the accelerator! That damper makes it scream! =D

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
For real.

I just bought 2 of these for our vehicles because I just KNOW our next battery failures will fall outside of warranty and I don't want to have to rely on people I don't know for a jumpstart:

https://www.autowit.com/autowit-supercap2-jump-starter/

I hope to never have to use them but I'm ok with having them for insurance. Just didn't like the idea of the lithium-ion batteries inside our vehicles in 110* + heat.

And yes...I DO have Duracell batteries in my Maglite. I don't like that either and will be looking for an alternative. Any suggestions and real-world experience from you guys is deeply appreciated.
Those work great! I have a different brand but they all have lots of power. I used mine a couple of times on my FJ-40 to test it.

Took out the old battery and just connected to the leads, used the "boost" feature and was able to crank on it six times until it started (my boost mode lasts about 10 seconds - so crank until it cuts off, push boost again and crank, and so on). I then did it again a few days later, without charging the jump thing, and was able to get another six 10-second cranks out of it.

It didn't show any signs of slowing and I'm sure it could have cranked it a few more times (I crank on it so long that the jump starters cable get hot to the touch).

That's on a 53 year old 3.9 litre straight six.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
yea typical lead acid batteries are supposed to last 4-5 years, but charge cycles are super important. also depending on offroading can crack top plates to break and make contact with lead. agm and lithium is where its at.
I once broke a Diehard battery in half, the case split open. I took out the battery, left the leads flopping loose, roll started, and drove an hour to home. Always thought it was kind of cool that you could remove the battery from the FJ-40 and still drive it.

Venom_z89

First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician
I once broke a Diehard battery in half, the case split open. I took out the battery, left the leads flopping loose, roll started, and drove an hour to home. Always thought it was kind of cool that you could remove the battery from the FJ-40 and still drive it.
most manual cars although not great for alternators. on the first date with my wife I had to stop in Barstow for gas battery had taken a dump so I had to push start it she was the one to pop the clutch. luckily she didn't drive away without me. she ended up becoming my wife lol

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Picking up Big Blue from dealer. It was the battery. Cost of battery $370 my cost $0. ?
Sponsored