Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't that interfere with airflow to the intercooler????
Intercooler is up high behind the grill...I'm worried about the radiator...
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Intercooler is up high behind the grill...I'm worried about the radiator...
I originally wondered the same, but the radiator is huge, goes from down where that lightbar is all the way up behind the intercooler. I'd guess that this sort of accessory might be an issue towing heavy in the mountains, but there's so much stock cooling that it would be fine for anything less than that.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I originally wondered the same, but the radiator is huge, goes from down where that lightbar is all the way up behind the intercooler. I'd guess that this sort of accessory might be an issue towing heavy in the mountains, but there's so much stock cooling that it would be fine for anything less than that.
I suppose blocking it with a lightbar could be tolerable but I still wonder when I look inside at how carefully the ducting was engineered to route intake air directly to the lower portion of the radiator...perhaps to compensate for the upper being partially compromised by the intercooler...

Fordrangerlifts.com

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fordrangerlifts.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger Fx4
Occupation
Fabricator

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
1.2mpg gain... Okay... because air isn't dragging through the intercooler. How about back-to-back air intake temperatures under load...

Fordrangerlifts.com

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fordrangerlifts.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger Fx4
Occupation
Fabricator
1.2mpg gain... Okay... because air isn't dragging through the intercooler. How about back-to-back air intake temperatures under load...
Have you seen electric shutters in front of the radiator?

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Have you seen electric shutters in front of the radiator?
On other vehicles, yes, they close for aero, and open for cooling... which is my point. The light bar doesn't open.

Manufacturers run a grill shutter predominance test. It proves they can maintain an emissions trace with a certain percentage of shutter closed usage while staying cool enough, which allows them to use the shutters while labeling fuel economy. This is possible because emissions traces are relatively light-load. The shutters open under high load (off-trace) to keep everything cool.

Fordrangerlifts.com

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fordrangerlifts.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger Fx4
Occupation
Fabricator
On other vehicles, yes, they close for aero, and open for cooling... which is my point. The light bar doesn't open.

Manufacturers run a grill shutter predominance test. It proves they can maintain an emissions trace with a certain percentage of shutter closed usage while staying cool enough, which allows them to use the shutters while labeling fuel economy. This is possible because emissions traces are relatively light-load. The shutters open under high load (off-trace) to keep everything cool.
The bottom of the inter cooler stops 2” before the top of that bumper opening. The specially designed air ducts built in the factory bumper actually help direct air flow to the bottom portion of the inter cooler.

B879F2B5-9634-4A1E-8B09-8F6F46A0D7E6.jpeg

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
The bottom of the inter cooler stops 2” before the top of that bumper opening. The specially designed air ducts built in the factory bumper actually help direct air flow to the bottom portion of the inter cooler.

B879F2B5-9634-4A1E-8B09-8F6F46A0D7E6.jpeg
So the radiator is blocked. Ford isn't the type of company to go "this radiator is too big, but let's just leave it and not save any money."

If the intercooler sits behind the Ford badge, then you're blocking the only clean path to the rad?

I don't mean to argue. It takes some intense duty to really work the radiator. They're sized for full load performance in the desert. But if you find yourself in that condition you could get into thermal protection de-rating.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the radiator is blocked. Ford isn't the type of company to go "this radiator is too big, but let's just leave it and not save any money."
That's my first rule for all car makers: if they paid to put it in, it's because they couldn't find a way to cheap out by not including it.

Fordrangerlifts.com

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fordrangerlifts.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger Fx4
Occupation
Fabricator

If the intercooler sits behind the Ford badge, then you're blocking the only clean path to the rad?

I don't mean to argue. It takes some intense duty to really work the radiator. They're sized for full load performance in the desert. But if you find yourself in that condition you could get into thermal protection de-rating.
I guess I will find out with these hot Las Vegas temps this summer. Plus running the dunes at Dumont this dune season in October. If it was an issue that means all aftermarket bumpers block more air flow then the factory bumper.

Nicolas50

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger wildtrack
Me i look the baja design kit for ranger. I look if It can suit ranger raptor. Onx6 20" réf sku4476111. I see It on ebay because not seller in France.
Seem to be the best for size/lumens !!

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I will find out with these hot Las Vegas temps this summer. Plus running the dunes at Dumont this dune season in October. If it was an issue that means all aftermarket bumpers block more air flow then the factory bumper.
I wouldn't expect it to possibly be an issue driving around in an empty truck because the radiator is so huge. But I would expect it to reduce the towing capacity.