Bumper Light Bars/Install help and hints?

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
For those that have installed in-bumper or other bumper light bars of any brand: Any hints on install especially on where you ran your wires? If you have the Tremor switches, wiring run to the accessory fuse box? Suggestions, how to, avoid this/that. Help all involved....photos are appreciated. Thank you. (photo credit: Diode Dynamics/kit on the way for me)
2019_ranger_ss6_kit_creative_close_on.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
OregonRangerTremor

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
For wiring runs...I think it is going to be easier to remove the large flat plastic cover that is under the hood, runs along the full width behind the grill (up there at the hood release/above the fan). Would be much easier to pull the wires up from the bumper area and into the engine bay for wiring. Thoughts?

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
So for my wiring I have a distribution block that I mounted by my battery. To be honest when I wired my bumper lights I just ran them where I could get the wires through. I pulled back the plastic cover to get wires across and zip tied to good anchors where I could

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
For wiring runs...I think it is going to be easier to remove the large flat plastic cover that is under the hood, runs along the full width behind the grill (up there at the hood release/above the fan). Would be much easier to pull the wires up from the bumper area and into the engine bay for wiring. Thoughts?
That's what I did when wiring my light bar to the upfitter switches, plenty of places to run the wires and nothing is visible from the front.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Remove the plastic piece above the radiator. Also remove the rubber trim around the driver side tow hook. You can fish a wire from the Tremor relays through an opening behind the headlight. From there, drop down to the opening the tow hook is in. Now fish it across to the opening in the bumper. And because you never know… run an extra set of wires.

I’ve mapped out the inputs for the aux relays. I added individual connectors here so I can change which switch controls each output.
For example, I want switch #1 to control my DD fog lights. I didn’t want to use up a 25a connection for lights that draw 5.4a.

07433589-DD9F-4185-BD4A-0704252A0341.png
E32B2FC2-283C-4AA8-85AA-63717F91166D.png
D854A698-FFE0-430F-9655-A4BA866A7649.png
96D0267F-7132-4769-879D-6CC1D4B05054.jpeg

OP
OP
OregonRangerTremor

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Remove the plastic piece above the radiator. Also remove the rubber trim around the driver side tow hook. You can fish a wire from the Tremor relays through an opening behind the headlight. From there, drop down to the opening the tow hook is in. Now fish it across to the opening in the bumper. And because you never know… run an extra set of wires.

I’ve mapped out the inputs for the aux relays. I added individual connectors here so I can change which switch controls each output.
For example, I want switch #1 to control my DD fog lights. I didn’t want to use up a 25a connection for lights that draw 5.4a.

07433589-DD9F-4185-BD4A-0704252A0341.png
E32B2FC2-283C-4AA8-85AA-63717F91166D.png
D854A698-FFE0-430F-9655-A4BA866A7649.png
96D0267F-7132-4769-879D-6CC1D4B05054.jpeg
Thanks for all that especially where to drop the wires down. Thanks to everyone for the advice. These groups are here to help each other....here is the proof. Thanks.
Photo of cover I will be removing!
plateCover.jpg

MJW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Looks like I got the same lightbars, based on your photo in the first post. Couple questions: 1. How did you end up wiring the switch into the cab? 2. Did you wire so that they only go on with highbeams?

OP
OP
OregonRangerTremor

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like I got the same lightbars, based on your photo in the first post. Couple questions: 1. How did you end up wiring the switch into the cab? 2. Did you wire so that they only go on with highbeams?
I have a Ranger-Tremor with the upfitter switches....so it operates off of those. The wiring harness as you know has a switch wired into it that you can feed to the dash through the firewall. As the harness is wired it would be on or off as you choose. I do not know how you could wire it to come on with the high beams....that is above my area of expertise (sorry).

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I didn't even bother removing the plastic cover. Just fished them up from the bumper and wired them into the Trigger controller on the battery. In front of the battery is a big space that I put the extra wire length.

OP
OP
OregonRangerTremor

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't even bother removing the plastic cover. Just fished them up from the bumper and wired them into the Trigger controller on the battery. In front of the battery is a big space that I put the extra wire length.
I found removing that plastic cover made it a lot easier to access, more areas to store extra wire and a "cross member" to zip tie to. Readers, as was suggested by another member here, just behind both headlights is a narrow area to run the cables downwards to below the bumper...it will come out by the tow hooks. I used a 3' flexible rod, taped the cable plug to the end and fished it downward.....easy! Then remove the rubber boots from the tow hooks(or partially pull the back part downward)....easy then to run cable through the rear of the bumper to the light's mounting locations. IMPORTANT: DD in their instruction video says to remove the license plate bracket and re-install it when done. Do NOT take it off. Once you install the DD brackets, you cannot access the holes to re-mount the license plate bracket. Just leave it on unless you find it easier to slide the DD bolt "clips" into place and then re-install it before installing the DD brackets. DD....high quality product and everything does fit well.
Sponsored