First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm starting to think I've got the wrong motor in my Ranger. lol We're 2 weeks into our trip and I have 7 fill ups so far and my worst mpg has been 24.4 and the best has been 26.3. This is going through many different elevation changes starting out in AZ at around 1000' and have been as high as 11,000' driving 75-85 mph. Before heading out I was expecting to get somewhere in the 22-23 mpg range so this is a bonus. Premium gas prices have been averaging around $5.25/gal and I just checked my Gas Buddy app and back in AZ it's already up to $6.23! Another reason we're NOT looking forward to going home. :curse:

Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 8.54.55 PM.jpeg
Sponsored

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I'm starting to think I've got the wrong motor in my Ranger. lol We're 2 weeks into our trip and I have 7 fill ups so far and my worst mpg has been 24.4 and the best has been 26.3. This is going through many different elevation changes starting out in AZ at around 1000' and have been as high as 11,000' driving 75-85 mph. Before heading out I was expecting to get somewhere in the 22-23 mpg range so this is a bonus. Premium gas prices have been averaging around $5.25/gal and I just checked my Gas Buddy app and back in AZ it's already up to $6.23! Another reason we're NOT looking forward to going home. :curse:

Dave,
There must be something about the Arizona environment that assists for good gas mileage. The best I've gotten so far is 23.2 on my trip to Flagstaff 07/2021 and I was not driving quite as conservatively as I could have.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Just took a drive from Phoenix to Beale AFB and I averaged 23.7 on regular 87. Because I'm cheap. But there were plenty of elevation changes. Seen some really low instant mpg on the grapevine too.

Pretty sure these engines love a nice long drive.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond

We just got back from a trip to the Black Hills and got 24.7 for the 1,632 total miles. That was with 87 oct E-10, and included ~500 miles of 80+mph I-90, lots of dirt park service roads and two lane 50-65mph. Crosswinds & headwinds are what really tear up mpg on these EcoBoosts.

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FX4 (RIP), 21 Tremor, 20 Edge ST, Couple HD's
Occupation
Trophy Husband / "Sanitation Worker" / Army Vet
Im sure someone more intelligent than I would say something about higher altitude means cooler or thinner air, working in conjunction with the forced induction means better combustion..... IDK something like like that.... ???

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Im sure someone more intelligent than I would say something about higher altitude means cooler or thinner air, working in conjunction with the forced induction means better combustion..... IDK something like like that.... ???
He may be, secretly, running something like this...at higher altitudes and thinner air it is much more efficient.

download.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I suspect he's getting someone to push him up to those high areas, and then he coasts down, thus giving unusually high mpg readings !!! :like:
Close, it's all the 303 Graphene I put on the truck. It cuts through wind like a hot knife through butter. :LOL:?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think you're on to something Brett. But it's way to early to process that and now I have a headache. :crazy:?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Go home now! You'll be relatively rich going home early or poorer and poorer waiting and paying for fuel. I joke that a new system will be put in place that allows the pumps to update price while pumping ?.
Since a lot of the pumps out there can't handle $10 per gallon, I suspect that we will go to a system of paying per quart.

Or this might be the opportunity Big Brother has been waiting for to push the metric system! Buy it per liter like everyone else!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I am probably not too far behind you in intellajense, but I think the ecu fuel metering compensates for altitude. Aerodynamic Cx might be better at higher altitude, though.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
We're 2 weeks into our trip and I have 7 fill ups so far and my worst mpg has been 24.4 and the best has been 26.3.
I'm in Texas, but when I travel to Oklahoma, I get similar fuel mileage because they have options for Ethanol Free gasoline that doesn't have high price mark-ups. You might be getting Ethanol Free gas even if you are not selecting it.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers

Maybe that Liver. tune is helping out a bit, I have never come close to that. My absolute best I think was 22-23mpg doing 70mph on a trip to CA. I was happy about our 12.2mpg towing back from CA to NV 2 weeks ago. The drive back is usually harder on mpg than the drive there, but going there we had such bad headwinds we were under 8mpg around the 1/3 mark.

I have seen others mention the Ford tune gave them better mpg too. Who knows

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FX4 (RIP), 21 Tremor, 20 Edge ST, Couple HD's
Occupation
Trophy Husband / "Sanitation Worker" / Army Vet
come to think of it.... it might just be some Colorado witchcraft... I was in Colorado Springs a couple years ago and I recall that my rented suburban, fully loaded with adults and bags, was getting remarkably good gas mileage (over 20mpg) back and forth to Denver at 70-80ish...
Sponsored