Front end shaking at 300 miles

Jdecker94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
When I make any kind of turn at higher speeds (65+) the steering wheel and front end shakes bad, like my old dodge Cummins was better. The local dealer won’t touch it for a month since I didn’t buy from them and my purchasing dealer is 3 hours away. I have to bring a new jet ski home in a couple days and that’s a 900 miles round trip that needs to be done or my whole summer is ruined. Any advice? Tire pressures are 30 rear and 35 front, lug nuts all torques to 100 lb ft. Doesn’t look like a weight fell off a wheel either.
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
When I make any kind of turn at higher speeds (65+) the steering wheel and front end shakes bad, like my old dodge Cummins was better. The local dealer won’t touch it for a month since I didn’t buy from them and my purchasing dealer is 3 hours away. I have to bring a new jet ski home in a couple days and that’s a 900 miles round trip that needs to be done or my whole summer is ruined. Any advice? Tire pressures are 30 rear and 35 front, lug nuts all torques to 100 lb ft. Doesn’t look like a weight fell off a wheel either.
A little more info would be helpful. Did this all of a sudden just happen? Did you hit a pot hole or curb prior to this or and recent work done like a front end alignment? The tire pressure should be set to 30 psi on all 4 tires.

OP
OP

Jdecker94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
When I was coming home I swore it pulled to the left a little on the highway, but I brushed it off and figured it my head since I didn’t drive for almost 2 months before that. I was bringing a 200 pound jet ski trailer home and every turn closer to home it got a little worse. I called the dealer and lost my mind on them, we might be working a deal on my taking a crew cab home for the price of my extended cab. Renting a truck for almost 1000 miles would be quite costly and if that route happens, the dealer is getting the bill. I’m on my way to a private shop now to have it looked at, the dealer said they’d gladly pay.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Help us to help you OP. I'm still trying to visualize turning at 65mph? Like diving into an exit ramp maybe? Or just a simple bend in the highway?
Lane keep assist switched on will shimmy the wheel if crossing the line. Like other said, is it switch on or off when this occurs?
Some vehicles are sold with aftermarket wheels and tires. What's on yours ?? Maybe do a retorque of the lugnuts or try swapping both front wheels and go for another test drive.
The more info, the more help is found on this awesome forum.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

First Name
Clement
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Baller
Check lug nuts all mine were loose

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, need more info. Was the OP on a multilane hwy and not signaling when changing lanes?
My bet is on this , especially if the lane assist is set to the highest setting .

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi J,

What you are indicating is this shake only happens when you generate a lateral force by turning the wheel. This usually indicated a loose wheel but or one that is not actually seated on the hub. It is unlikely a wheel weight as the shake would not be only when turning... As has been stated, what is the lane assist setting, On or Off?

Would you send a picture of your truck side view as you have no showcase and your vehicle is shown as None...

best,
Phil

OP
OP

Jdecker94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Well here’s the shocker for me. The empty trailer had a bad torsion axle that apparently made a terrible vibration and it transferred up to the front of the truck. The trailer dealer said they had one do that years ago. they came to my house and picked it up with an older Chevy dually and we went for a ride. It did the same thing to that truck. They’re bringing my new trailer down tomorrow, and they even said it feels like your front end is going to fall out when it happens. Easy enough fix I suppose. I guess me thinking it was the truck was PTSD from owning a dodge, lol.

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
Well here’s the shocker for me. The empty trailer had a bad torsion axle that apparently made a terrible vibration and it transferred up to the front of the truck. The trailer dealer said they had one do that years ago. they came to my house and picked it up with an older Chevy dually and we went for a ride. It did the same thing to that truck. They’re bringing my new trailer down tomorrow, and they even said it feels like your front end is going to fall out when it happens. Easy enough fix I suppose. I guess me thinking it was the truck was PTSD from owning a dodge, lol.
glad it worked out and was not the truck itself. But I know of the PTSD you speak of regarding the Dodge. My experience was fleeting because I was only test driving them but I was left traumatized none-the-less. I test drove three 2019 Dodge Ram’s with the V6 and another 2017 with a hemi last year. I didn’t feel it as much with the Hemi - I thought maybe it was the way Hemi’s feel. The ones with the V6 was really bad. I swear I was hitting a bump ever rotation of the tire or the tires had flat spots. I asked the sales person about this and she thought it needed an alignment. I said to her that I drove three identical trucks so it wasn’t an alignment problem. She asked a senior sales person. They said that vibration is normal - that’s how they drive!?
Pretty much kind of ran away from the Dodge dealership as fast as I could. More to that nightmare experience but that’s for another day and another thread.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
A little more info would be helpful. Did this all of a sudden just happen? Did you hit a pot hole or curb prior to this or and recent work done like a front end alignment? The tire pressure should be set to 30 psi on all 4 tires.
Pressure would depend on trim and package. Mine calls for 39 psi, although I keep them around 37 in front and 36 in rear when cold this time of year. They usually all four get up to 39 after 15 minutes on the road.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Pressure would depend on trim and package. Mine calls for 39 psi, although I keep them around 37 in front and 36 in rear when cold this time of year. They usually all four get up to 39 after 15 minutes on the road.
Yes but he is running 35 in the front and 30 in the rear. They should all be the same not 5 psi different. Mine call for 30 psi but I find 32 psi is perfect for mine.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Yes but he is running 35 in the front and 30 in the rear. They should all be the same not 5 psi different. Mine call for 30 psi but I find 32 psi is perfect for mine.
Totally agree that they should match or at least be closer.
Sponsored