Need recommendations for non-leaking tonneau cover (avoid Bakflip G2)

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat (White Platinum)
Hi guys.

I picked up my brand new Ranger around two weeks ago, and it's quickly become the favorite vehicle I've ever had. I truly am in love with this thing.

But...

I bought the Ford-rebranded Bakflip G2 from the dealer (Part No: VKB3Z-99501A42-C (https://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/12186/s/cover-tonneau).

It leaks pretty badly....I mean, it's not a flood, but it won't stay dry even in a mild rain. There are noticeable gaps (https://imgur.com/AHBYDiq) at the corners which aren't covered, and water quickly finds a way in.

I've gotten the dealer to agree to take it back and to order another and install for free, which is great of them. That said, I'm uncertain which to buy...

And yes, I've read many people say that all folding tonneau covers leak. But this leak lets enough water in that it could damage things I'm hauling, whereas many videos online show just slight trickles making it in.

Can you help me out and recommend a decent cover?

Thanks! I really appreciate it.
Sponsored

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys.

I picked up my brand new Ranger around two weeks ago, and it's quickly become the favorite vehicle I've ever had. I truly am in love with this thing.

But...

I bought the Ford-rebranded Bakflip G2 from the dealer (Part No: VKB3Z-99501A42-C (https://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/12186/s/cover-tonneau).

It leaks pretty badly....I mean, it's not a flood, but it won't stay dry even in a mild rain. There are noticeable gaps (https://imgur.com/AHBYDiq) at the corners which aren't covered, and water quickly finds a way in.

I've gotten the dealer to agree to take it back and to order another and install for free, which is great of them. That said, I'm uncertain which to buy...

And yes, I've read many people say that all folding tonneau covers leak. But this leak lets enough water in that it could damage things I'm hauling, whereas many videos online show just slight trickles making it in.

sorry I ordered by to come with my Truck . .. the truck came in (05/04) and the rails were wrong . .. still waiting on replacement parts :(

OP
OP

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorry I ordered by to come with my Truck . .. the truck came in (05/04) and the rails were wrong . .. still waiting on replacement parts :(
Are you sure you meant to reply to me? I'm not sure I follow you?

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps diamondback. Or a cap? My BakFlip leaks very very little even in a heavy rain. I installed it myself though and was careful to get everything as sealed up as possible. I have an impact bed mat in there too so if it leaks, most of it drips quickly to the edge of the mat and down. I had an ARE cap on my Tacoma professionally installed and it was bone dry. Slept in it in torrential rain. You could also probably look at one piece hinged fiberglass tonneau covers rather than caps.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Hi guys.

But...

Part of the problem is the large gaps around the ends (and bottom) of the tailgate. This will allow a lot of water to flow in past the corner seal in the cover. I have the factory cover and haven't noticed any problems. You should check out the seals down the side and in the front as well to be sure they are correct. Also, you should check out this discussion about sealing around the tailgate: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/anybody-tried-a-tailgate-seal.2166/

OP
OP

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Part of the problem is the large gaps around the ends (and bottom) of the tailgate. This will allow a lot of water to flow in past the corner seal in the cover. I have the factory cover and haven't noticed any problems. You should check out the seals down the side and in the front as well to be sure they are correct. Also, you should check out this discussion about sealing around the tailgate: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/anybody-tried-a-tailgate-seal.2166/
Yeah, my G2 has those gaps on each side on the corners where the tailgate meets the cover.

I'm currently trying to decide between the Bakflip MX4 and the Bakflip F1....they both seem to have better reviews than the G2 in terms of leaks.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I had an UnderCover on my 07 F-250. I don't recall it ever leaking...maybe a drop or 2, but it wasn't very practical if you needed to haul anything big. It is one giant piece of ABS (or whatever it's made of)....it hinges at the front and has gas struts. Getting it on or off wasn't terrible, but my wife (now ex) was only 5'3" and it was almost easier for me to struggle and do it by myself. BUT, since the Ranger is MUCH smaller, this could be a viable option.

EDIT: I just checked their website...currently not made for our trucks. Contacting the company may help.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, my G2 has those gaps on each side on the corners where the tailgate meets the cover.

I'm currently trying to decide between the Bakflip MX4 and the Bakflip F1....they both seem to have better reviews than the G2 in terms of leaks.
Look at what this installer does at minute 5 of this video. Are you able to do that on the G2 and cover it better?

OP
OP

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look at what this installer does at minute 5 of this video. Are you able to do that on the G2 and cover it better?
Oh yeah...I definitely press down and make sure it's secure. Still leaks... :(

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah...I definitely press down and make sure it's secure. Still leaks... :(
The overall design of the Mx4 is very similar. The key difference is that with the Mx4 you can close the tailgate with the cover also closed. It might leak slightly less, but given the similarities in the design I think you would also be unhappy with the Mx4.

OP
OP

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The overall design of the Mx4 is very similar. The key difference is that with the Mx4 you can close the tailgate with the cover also closed. It might leak slightly less, but given the similarities in the design I think you would also be unhappy with the Mx4.
Interesting...searching these forums there seems to be many happy MX4 owners...but perhaps it's the price and not the quality?

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure you meant to reply to me? I'm not sure I follow you?
I really can not help as I have not got mine yet. Plus I was just whining . I have never seen mine so. Have no idea of the brand Sorry I was unclear

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting...searching these forums there seems to be many happy MX4 owners...but perhaps it's the price and not the quality?
In my experience if you are very careful and deliberate with the installation of the MX4, and add the Extang tailgate seal discussed elsewhere on the forum, it will be pretty water resistant but not waterproof. I think it will be the same as the G2 as the designs are very close.if you haven’t tried it already you could reinstall the G2 from scratch in an hour or two concentrating on getting the fit tight. If you need total dry I’d look for a one piece hard or softcover like the Lo Pro or the diamondback. The folding hardcovers and probably the rolling hardcover ones will all leak at least a tiny bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great...thanks djrobb. I'll take a look at the Extang seal. I appreciate the info.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys.

But...

Are you only looking at BAK covers?

If not - look at the Extang Trifecta Signature 2.0 Tonneau Cover . Buddy has one and so far no leaks.
Sponsored